Search

Consolidated "Caviar" thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2012, 6:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I cannot usually tell the difference between a $15 bottle of wine and a $150 bottle of wine...

I highly recommend this book to all. The Billionaire's Vinegar. The interesting story of the shady wine dealer who peddled purportedly precious elderly wines to clueless collectors for hundreds of thousands of dollars; it seems many of the world's "connoisseurs" couldn't tell LaFitte from a hole in the ground.

A great little book combining perfidy, history, arrogance, and greed that reads like a mystery story.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I cannot usually tell the difference between a $15 bottle of wine and a $150 bottle of wine...
Most people can't.

http://www.slashfood.com/2011/04/15/...rom-expensive/
Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:36 pm

Programs: VA WP, UA 1k, QR G, AZ WP
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
I think you have to be raised on vegemite to like it! I think it is foul.
I think it also comes down to knowing how to put it on your toast/sandwich - I've seen some people who treat it like peanut butter and apply a thick layer and promptly disgusted when they try it (I would be too), but if its a thing scraping over freshly buttered toast it tastes quite nice (IMO)
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:01 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by quick_dry
I think it also comes down to knowing how to put it on your toast/sandwich - I've seen some people who treat it like peanut butter and apply a thick layer and promptly disgusted when they try it (I would be too), but if its a thing scraping over freshly buttered toast it tastes quite nice (IMO)
Not that different with caviar or many other foods actually...
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Had caviar first time in SQ F and just fell in love with it. Now, whenever I chose an airline to fly in F, I try to book an airline that serves caviar.

CX F is also very good and I usually eat 2-3 plates of it if they let me.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by KoKoBuddy
Purely in the interest of FT research, I humbly volunteer to submit to a blind tasting of wines in the range of $100 to $1000 to see if I can tell the difference
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:00 am

Doesn't this depend on the kind of caviar you have?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by homelyboy
I overate caviar in my childhood. My uncle was a steward with a cruise ship on the Volga and had some sort of cronies in Astrakhan. And we lived on the Volga, too, so he visited us at least once or twice every year bringing a loaf of pressed caviar.

I cannot say that I disliked the taste, but I hated it primarily for huge sums of money that my mom paid for it, 30 rubles or so. For 30 rubles I might add 3 or 4 model cars to my collection! And malossol cucumbers were much cheaper and far tastier to me.

I fancy how much would that loaf cost these days. A fortune!
Could I bother you as an expert on the subject: I've read, as my family has some connections to Imperial Russia and it's officer corps, a lot about food culture in the Czarist times.

Would you have any idea if the famous, dried "Balyk" sturgeon from Astrakhan is still commercially available in Russia? Doesn't matter if it comes from farmed fish. I'd really like to relive once what I've read in culinary descriptions and have that with salted bread and vodka as a zakuska.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 3:39 pm

buying caviar online!

I've been doing some research on Almas Caviar and I am interested in trying it. There are articles online stating that the prices ranges from $25000-$40000/ kilo. I have also found a restaurant that serves Almas Caviar for around $1700 for 30g. Since it is a restaurant it is probably really overpriced, so I decided to purchase it online. I have found two websites with 2 different prices.

First website is http://www.finestgourmetfood.co.uk/a...as-caviar.html, they listed 30g Almas Caviar to be around $275.

The second website is http://www.efoodies.co.uk/bin/venda?...layout=default, they listed 30g Almas Caviar to be around $1875.

I am really confused on the price difference with the same product. Does anyone know any trusted online retailer with Iranian Almas Caviar at the right price.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 9:39 pm

Had the first "proper" fish eggs of the season a few days ago. Whitefish roe, chopped onion, sour cream and lemon pepper, all served on a buckwheat blini.

Next up should sample some of the "farmed" sturgeon caviar my friends are distributing. Maybe just on buttered toast, with a shot or two of vodka to accompany?
Old Dec 6, 2012, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I've had the "good stuff" on TG F and LH F. I actually enjoy lumpfish caviar from the supermarket at a fraction of the price most of all.

Just be careful when in Russia....lot of dodgy stuff being sold there.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I used to sell very high quality caviar and I tasted a LOT of it.
I have to say that most of what is available today is a very poor substitute for the Iranian/Russian top grade Mallosol that I had the pleasure of selling.

This stuff was very expensive back then(20 plus years ago)but the price they are asking for the inferior products available today is just crazy.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:05 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Non-Non Rev posted
"From the Petrossian Newsletter FAQ:

How to serve it-Service and accompaniments

A special presentoir designed by Petrossian showcases our caviar with a truly elegant presentation. So as not to break the eggs, caviar should be spooned carefully onto lightly toasted bread or directly into the mouth with our specially designed Petrossian palettes. Serve fresh premium quality Petrossian caviar in its original perfection. Do not sprinkle with lemon or serve with chopped egg, onion, or sour cream. Save these garnishes for inferior grades of caviar."
Too bad Petrossian sells mostly inferior products these days. It was glorious when they sold"The Good Stuff"!
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by LeviFlight
Try it in LH F with a good chilled vodka.
I did a couple of months ago, and enjoyed it, but would never seek it out...
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:45 pm

Isn't Caspian caviar legal again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.