Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Champagne - Questions/Suggestions/Recommendations" thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2005, 7:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by Japhydog
Dude, you are paying WAY too much for that Champagne -- it sells for $23.99 at my local Trader Joe's.
I think TJ's also sells VC yellow label for $29.99. Not a bad price.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA 2P, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by francophile
I think TJ's also sells VC yellow label for $29.99. Not a bad price.

Time to visit Trader Joe's. You guys find it to be cheaper than local supermarket?
Old Dec 30, 2005, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mrmakochan
Time to visit Trader Joe's. You guys find it to be cheaper than local supermarket?
Generally, yes. If you have time also look at some specialty stores. For instance, in San Francisco D&M on Fillmore has an amazing selection of champagne at very good prices.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 9:44 am

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
Champagne Bollinger Spécial Cuvée

(OT) then Château Rayne Vigneau, Sauternes 1er Grand Cru, 1970
then Château Lagrange, Pomerol, 1995.

Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, AA LTP 2MM
Pommery Brut Royal ^
Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:52 pm

I don't think Korbel Brut was mentioned - we had it last night and enjoyed it.
Old Jan 1, 2006, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by rkt10
Drat, and I was just in Michigan. Well, we're spending new year's eve with friends and we'll probably drink a lot of red (Cotes du Rhone) throughout the evening and not mind when we drink something awful like Korbel at midnight.

Rita
Turns out we had Mumms which was very nice. 2 bottles for the 4 of us, and a bottle of red with dinner (roast beef succulently jucey). We were happy.
Rita
Old Jan 1, 2006, 4:24 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
We ended up with a Mumms DVX last night, and today, totally unexpected was a great find, the Mumms Pinot Noir Red Sparkling was a gem. Tiny bubbles that were perfect with the chicken dish we were serving.

We had been hesitant about opening it, we have had it for over a year from a wine club shipment from them, and will certainly have to get some more.

Red Sparklings are few and far between, good tasting ones even stranger.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 9:28 am

Programs: AA, Aeroplan, Qantas
Originally Posted by FreakwentFlier
Would love to find the Deutz in the US

The Deutz non-vintage is relatively easy to find in NYC, usually $25-30/bottle, great value. ^

I was in CA so we decided to drink a sparkling wine from Iron Horse, quite good.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 4:12 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
My better half and I enjoyed a bottle of 1988 Krug.
Old Jan 7, 2006, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by wjudge
Domaine Carneros Brut Rose - My favorite, but only sold at the winery! I have been saving this one for 2 months!!
Yes - it's very good. I had it at their caves in Carneros. And I have seen it at some shops, supermarkets too.
I believe it belongs to Taittinger, and the have a lady winemaker and CEO..
Old Jan 7, 2006, 12:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
OT: Book Review

CHAMPAGNE
How the World's Most Glamorous Wine Triumphed Over War and Hard Times.
By Don Kladstrup and Petie Kladstrup.
Illustrated. 286 pp. William Morrow/HarperCollins Publishers. $23.95.

Review by ALIDA BECKER
Published: January 1, 2006
THE best way to read Don and Petie Kladstrup's "Champagne" is with a bottle at your side - and not for the obvious reason. Stone cold sober, you might find yourself irritated by their scattershot approach to the history of "the world's most glamorous wine." You might accuse them of being superficial and disorganized, or at least easily distracted. But if you put yourself in an amiably distracted state, their breezy factoids and vignettes become manageable, even charming. If nothing else, you'll sympathize when they confess to some research that "went straight to our heads."

Complete review:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/01/bo.../01becker.html

username: flyertalk
password: flyertalk
Old Nov 30, 2006, 1:05 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
I hope the reason for moi bumping this is not too OT, but:

If the FT experts would have any recs on Christmas champers I could serve with both cold and warm fish dishes ( about the only stuff I know how to cook well ) you´d make me a happy camper. Think fish eggs, gravad salmon, and fried fish fillets.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
This is a good one from California...

NV
Roederer Estate Brut Sparkling (750ML)

Varietal: Blend
Aged from one to three years, wines from Roederer Estates reserve cellar are added to a blend of Pinot Noir and Chardonnay, creating a multi-vintage cuvée in the traditional Roederer style, known for its body, finesse and depth of flavor. "A delicious California sparkler with rich and toasty aromas up front, and a follow-up that features focused and complex lemon, grapefruit, herb, green apple and pear flavors. It's bright and clean on the finish, quite refreshing…90." WS

About $20.

And...

Gloria Ferrer Brut California Sparkling Wine NV

Number 97 on Wine Spectator top 100 wines of 2004.

An exceptional value. Round and full-bodied, with rich, ripe apple, pear and honeydew melon flavors. This complex sparkler has a nice touch of yeast and doughy aroumas that give it added flavor, turning creamy with a touch of vanilla. Drink now through 2009. 90/100 Wine Spectator "Wine of the Week" Oct 11,2004

About $19.
Old Nov 30, 2006, 2:27 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Excellent suggestions, those are remarkably good California sparkling wines, better than most champagnes. The Roederer would be better with cold fish, and the Ferrer with hot fish, fwiw. But isn't akvavit the traditional drink with gravad salmon?

If wanting to spend a lot more and get a nice champagne, try Perrier Jouet Belle Epoque. It has a floral, apple scent and light taste that would go well with most fish. By far the lightest of the "serious" champagnes (and so good that I recommend it, despite my taste running to heavy champagnes).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.