Good Shakes and Malts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good Shakes and Malts

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
In Calgary, hands down for shakes.. is Peter's Drive In..

Lots of flavors.. I wished they accept cc, so that I can dine there more.. using a cc, I can expense to my company..

cash is out of my pocket.. and no miles..
Old Oct 16, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Originally Posted by mbstone
Since your typical shake maker has no training or intelligence, you will need to carefully instruct, or better yet buy a Hamilton Beach and make 'em at home.
Hey! While I totally agree making shakes & malts is not difficult, one really shouldn't underestimate the people working in those jobs.*

In high school and college, I worked at a place that makes great milkshakes in the middle-of-nowhere Ohio. It was a soft-serve place, and for chocolate shakes & malt, we used the chocolate/vanilla twist ice cream (along with chocolate syrup, of course). In general, you can get really good shakes and ice cream all throughout the various small local ice cream places in Ohio.

* I was wearing my [fancy East Coast] college t-shirt one day at work. One customer made a comment, "Oh, you go to [fancy East Coast] college? I thought you were just a dumb waitress." This was more than 15 years ago, and I am still amazed and horrified by that comment. This "dumb waitress" now has a PhD.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Mlle_Mustard
Hey! While I totally agree making shakes & malts is not difficult, one really shouldn't underestimate the people working in those jobs.*

In high school and college, I worked at a place that makes great milkshakes in the middle-of-nowhere Ohio. It was a soft-serve place, and for chocolate shakes & malt, we used the chocolate/vanilla twist ice cream (along with chocolate syrup, of course). In general, you can get really good shakes and ice cream all throughout the various small local ice cream places in Ohio.

* I was wearing my [fancy East Coast] college t-shirt one day at work. One customer made a comment, "Oh, you go to [fancy East Coast] college? I thought you were just a dumb waitress." This was more than 15 years ago, and I am still amazed and horrified by that comment. This "dumb waitress" now has a PhD.
I think OP meant.. to start.. and receive the necessary training to make a great shake..

But I agree.. when paying premium for shake or malt.. you want the product bang on..
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:06 pm

Programs: United, Marriott, Choice, Avis, Hertz
I turned into a shake snob a few years ago. Agreed on the comments for Whitey's and Steak n Shake. I would also add the UDF (United Dairy Farmers) convenience stores in the Cincy area. Really good stuff.

At Steak n Shake, the shakes are half price from 2-4...happy hour!

Smashburger doesn't make a bad shake either. I disagree on the support for Culvers--both times I've had their shakes I've been disappointed. Carl's Jr. is just OK in my book.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by zdave
I disagree on the support for Culvers--both times I've had their shakes I've been disappointed. Carl's Jr. is just OK in my book.
Try the strawberry. Not to get maudlin, but several years ago when my mother was deathly ill, there was a Culver's right near the hospital. One of the few things we could get her to eat/drink was a Culver's strawberry shake. That might have something to do with my affinity for them.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:32 pm
PBQ

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold
As kids we used to step off the plane in TPA and head straight to the Shake Pit in Bradenton, FL before getting to our grandparents' house. We would also stop one last time before heading to the airport.

i heard Uneeda in Seattle makes a great salted Caramel milkshake. I'll be trying it someday.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:22 pm
gsb

In Louisville, Graeter's makes a terrific shake. I also think, as far as chains go, Chic Fil'a has good shakes.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Carl's Jr is ok, just like McD's..

run of the mill soft serve..
Old Feb 14, 2012, 8:32 am

Black and White milkshake from Brigham's
Old Feb 14, 2012, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA: 2 MM
No doubt there is one person here who, in a thread about THE best grilled cheese sandwich, would tell us how he enjoys Wonder Bread, Kraft American singles and Imperial Margarine.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold
If you're ever in San Francisco try Pearl's Deluxe Burgers. They have amazing burgers and shakes. I had a peanut butter shake. Had small little shavings of peanuts and stuff in there. It sounds weird but was so good.

Then I came back the next day to have an Oreo mint shake. My friend had a chocolate banana shake. Had chunks of banana in it.

I had been there for burgers but this was my first time trying the shakes. A must try if you're in the city. Amazing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.