Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What do you do with quinoa?

What do you do with quinoa?

Old Jul 13, 2011, 3:30 am

Programs: Virtuoso
I mix it with oatmeal to change up the consistency.

I also made a dish one with garlic, onion, quinoa and seasoning. It was a recipe I found online.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Hyatt Diamond
We cook it and add a little olive oil, chili powder, fresh cilantro, some grape tomatoes, a little salt, and a poached egg to be really indulgent.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 4:53 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Potentially the protein is a bit far-fetched, but the first time I ate quinoa was unfortunately not long ago. I was in Salar de Uyuni in Bolivia, and the day's driver just prepared a simple yet lovely lightly-salted quinoa with tomatoes and cucumbers, a farmer's cheese and alpaca. No need to doctor up the grain, this combination (any steak'd do just fine) was down-to-earth pleasant.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a Heston Blumenthal book where he gives instructions on soaking and cooking quinoa with the handy trick of blending half of the cooked quinoa and recombining the grains and adding a ponzu type dressing.
The advantage is that this makes quinoa sticky and it can then be used to make makizushi seaweed rolls.
I find the technique of blitzing a portion of quinoa with a stick blender to be very useful as it helps young children keep quinoa on their fork - at least it allows me to feed my kid quinoa that isn't kept together with mashed avocado without having to pick up seeds from unexpected corners days afterwards.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by MSchott
Flush it down the toilet . Seriously, my wife makes the stuff and the smell is horrible. I'll eat most anything but quinoa turns my stomach.
^ oh yes. I agree. Better still - don't even cook it in the first place!!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 2:13 pm

Quinoa is a great addition to your food with a much more complete protein profile. It contains the same number of carbs as the same quantity of white or brown rice but sightly more fiber content. Many US people have not heard about quinoa but it has been around South America for about 5000 years. Some people think it is a grain but its a seed has a pellet like appearance with a slightly crunchy texture and a nutty flavor. Quinoa is cooked similar to rice and once cooked, you can add it in any of your recipes that call for rice or it also makes a nice side dish all alone. You can use quinoa in many pilaf dishes, adding vegetables, and seasonings to taste.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by MSchott
Flush it down the toilet . Seriously, my wife makes the stuff and the smell is horrible. I'll eat most anything but quinoa turns my stomach.
I recently found some baby food with chicken, vegetables and quinos. My almost 9 month old is in agreement with you.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 8:07 pm

Here is a great little recipe my wife makes...

http://www.veggiebelly.com/2010/07/b...noa-salad.html

Hope that you like it!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.