Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Restaurants to Avoid Worldwide — and Please Name Names!

Old Dec 1, 04, 6:55 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

With the help of FlyerTalk members from all over the world, this thread is meant to be a comprehensive list of restaurants to avoid.

Please state the name and address of the restaurant and the reason(s) to avoid it.

I will begin:

Pelican Restaurant
Apostolou Pavlou 102
Paphos, CYPRUS

While the location offers a nice view of the harbour in Paphos (especially during a sunset, which I was fortunate enough to witness), I was disappointed with the fish meze there.

A meze is supposed to be a sampling of the native foods indicative of the country — in this case, Cyprus. I have been informed not to completely finish every course of a meze, as one may not have room to sample every course.

Usually a meze is for two persons, but I was convinced by one of the proprietors of this restaurant that they will gladly create a fish meze for one.

Ultimately, all I received was a salad and a main course consisting of six small whole fish, two small filets of fish, and three portions of squid prepared three different ways, all on one plate, along with five different kinds of sauces and three slices of bread. The food was unimpressive, to say the least. With a small glass of cola, the total bill was CY£11.00, or US$25.46.

The only positive hightlight of my experience was that the restaurant had a real live pelican that was rather entertaining. After I sat down, the pelican was brought out to try to attract customers, which unfortunately gave me an obvious clue to avoid eating there, albeit too late. The pelican did try to playfully eat my arm after a cat meowed at me incessantly for some food...

I left hungry and dissatisfied, with a feeling of being cheated because I was denied my one opportunity to sample an authentic Cyprus meze...
Old Dec 1, 04, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
McDonalds, Burger King, TGIF, KFC...well you get the picture. Avoid most any chain restaurant.

As for others, it's hard to say. I try to quickly forget the bad ones so I can't really remember many. And by US standards there aren't any bad restaurants within perhaps 200 miles of where I live in Burgundy.

I do recall a particularly bad restaurant in Oak Park, Illinois because of the name. It's called Poor Phil's, but I renamed it Poor Choice.
Old Dec 2, 04, 11:48 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I'll pick Jumbo (that boat thing) in Hong Kong. It's on every guidebooks, but this is a total tourist trap. If you want Egg Fu Young and another American takeout food, then by all means go there. But in HK, you can get great food anywhere else. Even at touristy places. No need to waste your hard earn money here.
Old Dec 2, 04, 12:22 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by stimpy
McDonalds, Burger King, TGIF, KFC...well you get the picture. Avoid most any chain restaurant.

As for others, it's hard to say. I try to quickly forget the bad ones so I can't really remember many. And by US standards there aren't any bad restaurants within perhaps 200 miles of where I live in Burgundy.

I do recall a particularly bad restaurant in Oak Park, Illinois because of the name. It's called Poor Phil's, but I renamed it Poor Choice.
After seeing "Super Size Me", a documentary about the filmaker eating nothing but McDonald's for 30 days straight I am hesitant to eat McDonaldd's or any other fast food chain restaurant ever again. The poor guy was starting to get liver problems along with other problems!!!
Old Dec 2, 04, 12:28 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Please AVOID:

Restaurant Pierre Orsi, Lyon

It is (perhaps now it isn't) a Michelin 1 starred restaurant and the whole experience was terrible. The food was mediocre and being an amateur cook with a passion for food, I felt that I could cook better. The food was barely warm, uninspired -- the food did not look appetising -- seasoning problems, some dishes overcooked, some undercooked; the all female wait staff had problems with who ordered what (only 2 of us!!) and always "Plunked" the plate down in front of us, but the wrong side facing us (logo of restaurant upside down). The Sommelier never returned to poor our wine; and we had to ask for more bread half a dozen times throughout the meal.
The worst part is that when someone is celebrating their birthday at the restaurant, the restaurant dims the light and plays some hoaky organ grinder music while the wait staff stop working and start clapping with the music.

It was a disaster....... and to think we cancelled our reservations at BOTH Leon de Lyon and La Pyramide in Vienne to go to this place!!
Old Dec 2, 04, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by luxury
After seeing "Super Size Me", a documentary about the filmaker eating nothing but McDonald's for 30 days straight I am hesitant to eat McDonaldd's or any other fast food chain restaurant ever again. The poor guy was starting to get liver problems along with other problems!!!
Not to mention their last CEO dropped dead of a heart attack at 45 and the current one is on leave with intestinal cancer at age 44. At least you can say they eat their own cooking.
Old Dec 2, 04, 2:44 pm

Please AVOID:

Restaurant Pierre Orsi, Lyon

It is (perhaps now it isn't) a Michelin 1 starred restaurant and the whole experience was terrible....
Interesting .. it still has one Michelin star. It also has four "red" forks. Actually, I avoid restaurants with lots of forks ... lots of "tam - tam", but often lousy food.

Here is my "tip":

Au Crocodile in Strasbourg. I was there, when they had 3 Michelin stars .. and when they lost a star, I said right so! The food was O.K., but "nothing to write home". Next, the service was "not very friendly". All in all - with this prices, not worth it!
Old Dec 2, 04, 2:49 pm

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
Antico Pignolo in Venice. Food was average (bland but edible) but prices were outrageous. I wouldn't mind paying $140/pp if the meal was very nice but this wasn't. It left me wondering - "How could this be? We're in Italy!". Then, I realized it was a tourist trap i.e. our hotel concierge (and many others) recommended this place coz they get a kickback. That really made me mad since we were staying at a nice hotel and wanted quality food.

For comparison, we went to a sublime restaurant the next day (of our own finding). 5-course meal, incredible food, for $90/pp. They were part of a Venetian restaurant association called "Buona Accoglienza". We liked it so much we tried another restaurant on the list the next night and it was a hit as well!
Old Dec 3, 04, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
It was a disaster....... and to think we cancelled our reservations at BOTH Leon de Lyon and La Pyramide in Vienne to go to this place!!
There's your problem. Never, ever cancel a reservation at Leon de Lyon. The food gods got back at you.
Old Dec 3, 04, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond

Just don't do the same thing he did. You can have the occasional meal from there, and it won't be too bad for you.
Old Dec 3, 04, 3:34 pm

Cheers, just inside security at LAS. The clam chowder was very heavy and very over-priced. The fish and chips were far less tasty than grocery store frozen fish sticks -- and very over-priced. Granted, the service was cheerful and competent.
Old Dec 4, 04, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fifteen, London, UK. Run by 'celebrity' chef Jamie Oliver, it offers some of the most overpriced food I have ever eaten - mediocre interpretations of Italian food. The service was very, very average and the staff knew less about the food than we did. After parting with GBP125 a head, the sight of a tip box on the cloakroom counter was the crowning moment. Avoid.
Old Dec 4, 04, 4:08 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
The Pret-a-Manger chain in London: Tasteless and overpriced "organic" sandwiches and uncomfortable seating. Go to any Italian sandwich bar in London and get your sandwich made on order and a decent coffee, not the bland Pret-a-Manger brew. They're a part of McDonals now, I believe(?)
Old Dec 4, 04, 4:20 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Silver
The Fat Duck, Bray ...pretentious nonsense.
Old Dec 6, 04, 3:09 pm

Legal Sea Food in DCA. Met me bride when she flew in. Parked her in LSF whilst I got her checked bags. When I got back to LSF she had still gotten neither drink nor even a menu.

We ate at Wool Lae Oak that night.

Search this Thread