Wiki Posts
Search

What do you do with quinoa?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2011, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
What do you do with quinoa?

I recently discovered quinoa. I found a recipe for an asian style quinoa salad that is pretty good. But I'm not sure what else to do with it besides using it in place of rice.

What sorts of things do you do with quinoa? Do you have any good recipes?
Old Jul 1, 2011, 12:01 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Originally Posted by It'sHip2B^2
... besides using it in place of rice....
That's about it. Tabbouleh, rice substitute. But perhaps we're not very inventive.

It saves our lives during passover - my standard is a wonderful Persian stew - sauteed eggplant, chicken, onions, tomatoes - served over quinoa.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 1:17 pm

Programs: None anymore
I search Yummly for ideas.
I liked Turkey and Quinoa Meatloaf
and I love almost any style of 'beans and rice' so the Quinoa and Black Beans was a given.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat
One of my favorite applications is quinoa patties that I dress like falafel or burgers. I also do quinoa with milk and cinnamon in the morning instead of oatmeal sometimes, just because it's so speedy.

My favorite recipe resource is epicurious; the recipe reviews are more helpful than most.

Last edited by Nerfgirl; Jul 2, 2011 at 12:27 am Reason: punctuation
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I use it in lieu of rice.

I like making stir frys with it. Add some good hot sauce and it transforms the dish.

I'll look forward to experimenting with other ideas.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Had quinoa in Jujuy a couple of years ago. Either baked or fried so it was crunchy.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I find it's a good substitute for couscous, particularly as it absorbs the tastes of dressings so well (I use rice a LOT in cooking, East Asian and Southern European styles, but don't much like using rice in salads)

Try a fish sauce based dressing like nuoc nam pha (fish sauce, lime juice, sugar & water) or a light ponzu, or go the middle eastern route with Harissa and pickled lemons.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K
I think we are in agreement with quinoa so far: it is an upgrade from rice nutritionally (we all like upgrades on this website!), and it will absorb sauces...but, a more subtle approach is to infuse the quinoa with a sublime broth or your favorite stock and lay off the strong sauces and accompany it with some lovely grilled or sauteed goodies. IMHO it is a perfect food. Less is more.
Cheers.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDer
I think we are in agreement with quinoa so far: it is an upgrade from rice nutritionally
I never agreed to that statement. Particularly if you are comparing quinoa to brown rice.

On the nutrition tables quinoa seems to be much more nutritious but most of those tables are for raw quinoa. And anyone who has cooked with this grain knows that it doesn't weigh much to begin with and absorbs a lot of water when prepared for consumption. In other words, I can easily eat a hundred grams - uncooked weight - of rice but would really struggle to eat this much quinoa.

It's a great compliment to rice in our diets. But I wouldn't call it an upgrade (not unless you were desperate for more iron), just a very welcome change.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 4:26 pm

It is delicious as a breakfast grain. Either on the side with eggs. Or with raisins.
Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:04 pm

I've made a couple of tasty quinoa salads. I also made quinoa and lentils and a breakfast quinoa with cinnamon, honey, and dried fruits.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:40 pm

Flush it down the toilet . Seriously, my wife makes the stuff and the smell is horrible. I'll eat most anything but quinoa turns my stomach.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 1:45 pm

Put a lil honey & cinnamon in mine for breakfast.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:01 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I cook it in chicken stock and then my green sauce which is cooked spinach, cilantro, olive oil and jalepeno's blitzed in a food processor.

Makes for a great side for a lot of dishes from salmon to carne asada.

In addition, I use it in hearty soups in place of rice or barley.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 5:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
i've recently discovered quinoa as well. thanks everyone for the helpful tips on cooking with it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.