Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Top Chef Masters

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2011, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Top Chef Masters

Season 2, I think. Anybody watching this?

I love the Top Chef shows, but this season of Masters has me grinding my teeth. The very first quick fire seemed too much like an episode of Chopped. But it didn't have Ted, so why bother?

And having Restaurant Wars as the very first elimination? It turned out to not be a train wreck, but it seemed a little harsh for the first elimination.

The second episode, cramming all 11 chefs into one tiny kitchen to cook and serve at the same time. The regular Top Chef shows break the service into two or three stages so that the chefs aren't climbing all over each other and fighting for stove/oven/counter space. Why did they do it to these master candidates? One of the chefs had to plate her dishes on the underneath shelf near the floor because the counter tops were full of other chef's plates. And another didn't get her dishes plated because she spent too much time helping the others to try to get them out of the way. I'm frustrated on behalf of the chefs.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
This is actually the third or fourth season of Top Chef Masters. I saw the first season and wasn't all that impressed. While they are playing for charities, I'm still wondering why most of these chefs would ever want to appear on this show.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 8:00 am
Original Poster

They seem to enjoy the competition.

My OP was so negative, that I should point out one thing I like about this season: this time they're doing eliminations like the regular show instead of progress ladders.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
This is actually the third or fourth season of Top Chef Masters. I saw the first season and wasn't all that impressed. While they are playing for charities, I'm still wondering why most of these chefs would ever want to appear on this show.
It is season three and I have only watched episode two. I just have grown out of the Masters concept. The first two seasons, I heard of at over 75% of the contestants. They all are accomplished and talented and work for worthwild charities, but the episode I watched, I kept saying to myself, "Who are these people?"

Plus, Feniger one season and the Border Grill partner Milliken in the next = Lazy casting to me.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by csufabel
but the episode I watched, I kept saying to myself, "Who are these people?"
Originally Posted by jcwoman
this time they're doing eliminations like the regular show instead of progress ladders.
This.

Trying to get a large group of top-name chefs to drop all of their other commitments for (at least) two weeks would be a very difficult challenge. With a progress ladder (which I didn't like), you probably only had to commit to one day every other week, and maybe 2-3 days for the finals.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 6:56 am
Original Poster

So episode 1 was "Top Chef Masters:Chopped" and this week's episode was "Top Chef Masters:Survivor". I am really disgusted by the crap that the producers are making these chefs go through. I would have cheered if all of the chefs walked out when they introduced the Quickfire, and not blamed them one bit.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Apparently not much interest in this show. One good thing about it is that Hugh Acheson appears almost exclusively on the web segments with the sous chefs, so I don't have to see him. I find him obnoxious.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Apparently not much interest in this show. One good thing about it is that Hugh Acheson appears almost exclusively on the web segments with the sous chefs, so I don't have to see him. I find him obnoxious.
His uni-brow scares me... but overall I think he's pretty funny.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by JWEMTX
His uni-brow scares me... but overall I think he's pretty funny.
If you like mean humor. And then I find he's from GA. That explains a lot (I know he's not from there originally, but as (at least) one of our very own demonstrates, something apparently happens to people who make that move).
Old Aug 19, 2013, 7:31 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
HEY NOW, he is from here in Athens.

When my partner was getting recruited last fall, the hospital took us to both his restaurants here in Athens. Hugh is very big on local ingredients. Food was very good.

If you like mean humor. And then I find he's from GA. That explains a lot (I know he's not from there originally, but as (at least) one of our very own demonstrates, something apparently happens to people who make that move).
Old Aug 19, 2013, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey
HEY NOW, he is from here in Athens.

When my partner was getting recruited last fall, the hospital took us to both his restaurants here in Athens. Hugh is very big on local ingredients. Food was very good.
Gordon Ramsay is a jerk too, but I have a suspicion he knows how to cook.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:52 am

Gordon Ramsay is a jerk too, but I have a suspicion he knows how to cook.
I hear he recommends the Amy's Baking Co in Scottsdale, AZ
Old Sep 2, 2013, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really like this season with the inclusion of the sous chefs in a separate competition which directly affects the master chefs.

However, last week's episode should seen Brian go home.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
I really like this season with the inclusion of the sous chefs in a separate competition which directly affects the master chefs.

However, last week's episode should seen Brian go home.
I agree. I think the producers told the judges he wasn't going to go anywhere.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 9:25 am

I agree. I think the producers told the judges he wasn't going to go anywhere.
Yep, I'd say it was rigged.

"Fact, bears eat beets..." - Jim Halpert

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.