FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   Top Chef Masters (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1205798-top-chef-masters.html)

jcwoman Apr 15, 11 7:50 am

Top Chef Masters
 
Season 2, I think. Anybody watching this?

I love the Top Chef shows, but this season of Masters has me grinding my teeth. The very first quick fire seemed too much like an episode of Chopped. But it didn't have Ted, so why bother?

And having Restaurant Wars as the very first elimination? It turned out to not be a train wreck, but it seemed a little harsh for the first elimination.

The second episode, cramming all 11 chefs into one tiny kitchen to cook and serve at the same time. The regular Top Chef shows break the service into two or three stages so that the chefs aren't climbing all over each other and fighting for stove/oven/counter space. Why did they do it to these master candidates? One of the chefs had to plate her dishes on the underneath shelf near the floor because the counter tops were full of other chef's plates. And another didn't get her dishes plated because she spent too much time helping the others to try to get them out of the way. I'm frustrated on behalf of the chefs.

pseudoswede Apr 15, 11 3:07 pm

This is actually the third or fourth season of Top Chef Masters. I saw the first season and wasn't all that impressed. While they are playing for charities, I'm still wondering why most of these chefs would ever want to appear on this show.

jcwoman Apr 16, 11 8:00 am

They seem to enjoy the competition.

My OP was so negative, that I should point out one thing I like about this season: this time they're doing eliminations like the regular show instead of progress ladders.

csufabel Apr 16, 11 5:03 pm


Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 16225741)
This is actually the third or fourth season of Top Chef Masters. I saw the first season and wasn't all that impressed. While they are playing for charities, I'm still wondering why most of these chefs would ever want to appear on this show.

It is season three and I have only watched episode two. I just have grown out of the Masters concept. The first two seasons, I heard of at over 75% of the contestants. They all are accomplished and talented and work for worthwild charities, but the episode I watched, I kept saying to myself, "Who are these people?"

Plus, Feniger one season and the Border Grill partner Milliken in the next = Lazy casting to me.

pseudoswede Apr 17, 11 3:25 pm


Originally Posted by csufabel (Post 16230767)
but the episode I watched, I kept saying to myself, "Who are these people?"


Originally Posted by jcwoman (Post 16228508)
this time they're doing eliminations like the regular show instead of progress ladders.

This.

Trying to get a large group of top-name chefs to drop all of their other commitments for (at least) two weeks would be a very difficult challenge. With a progress ladder (which I didn't like), you probably only had to commit to one day every other week, and maybe 2-3 days for the finals.

jcwoman Apr 22, 11 6:56 am

So episode 1 was "Top Chef Masters:Chopped" and this week's episode was "Top Chef Masters:Survivor". I am really disgusted by the crap that the producers are making these chefs go through. I would have cheered if all of the chefs walked out when they introduced the Quickfire, and not blamed them one bit.

ILuvParis Aug 17, 13 9:45 am

Apparently not much interest in this show. One good thing about it is that Hugh Acheson appears almost exclusively on the web segments with the sous chefs, so I don't have to see him. I find him obnoxious.

JWEMTX Aug 19, 13 1:58 pm


Originally Posted by ILuvParis (Post 21289124)
Apparently not much interest in this show. One good thing about it is that Hugh Acheson appears almost exclusively on the web segments with the sous chefs, so I don't have to see him. I find him obnoxious.

His uni-brow scares me... but overall I think he's pretty funny.

ILuvParis Aug 19, 13 3:42 pm


Originally Posted by JWEMTX (Post 21299808)
His uni-brow scares me... but overall I think he's pretty funny.

If you like mean humor. :) And then I find he's from GA. That explains a lot (I know he's not from there originally, but as (at least) one of our very own demonstrates, something apparently happens to people who make that move). :D

wharvey Aug 19, 13 7:31 pm

HEY NOW, he is from here in Athens.

When my partner was getting recruited last fall, the hospital took us to both his restaurants here in Athens. Hugh is very big on local ingredients. Food was very good.


Originally Posted by ILuvParis (Post 21300433)
If you like mean humor. :) And then I find he's from GA. That explains a lot (I know he's not from there originally, but as (at least) one of our very own demonstrates, something apparently happens to people who make that move). :D


ILuvParis Aug 19, 13 7:35 pm


Originally Posted by wharvey (Post 21301600)
HEY NOW, he is from here in Athens.

When my partner was getting recruited last fall, the hospital took us to both his restaurants here in Athens. Hugh is very big on local ingredients. Food was very good.

Gordon Ramsay is a jerk too, but I have a suspicion he knows how to cook. ;)

JWEMTX Aug 20, 13 11:52 am


Originally Posted by ILuvParis (Post 21301616)
Gordon Ramsay is a jerk too, but I have a suspicion he knows how to cook. ;)

I hear he recommends the Amy's Baking Co in Scottsdale, AZ

pseudoswede Sep 2, 13 4:03 pm

I really like this season with the inclusion of the sous chefs in a separate competition which directly affects the master chefs.

However, last week's episode should seen Brian go home.

ILuvParis Sep 2, 13 4:07 pm


Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 21378139)
I really like this season with the inclusion of the sous chefs in a separate competition which directly affects the master chefs.

However, last week's episode should seen Brian go home.

I agree. I think the producers told the judges he wasn't going to go anywhere. :)

JWEMTX Sep 5, 13 9:25 am


Originally Posted by ILuvParis (Post 21378154)
I agree. I think the producers told the judges he wasn't going to go anywhere. :)

Yep, I'd say it was rigged.

"Fact, bears eat beets..." - Jim Halpert


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:37 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.