Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Coke? Soda? Pop? Or?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by MarqFlyer
If they say "Pepsi" when they want a Pepsi, wouldn't it be more accurate to say that they just use the brand name, instead of a generic like "soda" or "pop"?
No, no, no! Pepsi is one brand of coke. But Coke isn't a brand of Pepsi.

"Which kind of coke do you want?"

"A Pepsi."

Of course, Pepsi is not the cola of preference in that part of the country.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 12:56 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
And preference for a Pepsi is liable to elicit "Ya'll aren't from around here, are ya?"
Old Jun 25, 2010, 1:13 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by MarqFlyer
That seems to contradict what the map says...which is that people in that part of the country use "coke" to describe all kinds of colas.

If they say "Pepsi" when they want a Pepsi, wouldn't it be more accurate to say that they just use the brand name, instead of a generic like "soda" or "pop"?
No, not contradictory at all. iapetus has it right.

Originally Posted by iapetus
No, no, no! Pepsi is one brand of coke. But Coke isn't a brand of Pepsi.

"Which kind of coke do you want?"

"A Pepsi."

Of course, Pepsi is not the cola of preference in that part of the country.
Originally Posted by cblaisd
And preference for a Pepsi is liable to elicit "Ya'll aren't from around here, are ya?"
LOL. Hilarious.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jun 25, 2010, 1:20 pm

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
Although I grew up in California, we always called soft drinks "coke"
It drove my parents crazy when at restaurants they would order Cokes for the kids and the staff would say " we only have Pepsi" My Dad's response "Same difference"
Old Jun 25, 2010, 1:25 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Sociolinguists and language historians trace all sorts of diagnostic word differences like this on maps, with lines (like isobars on weather maps) showing the loose boundaries--wish I could remember the term for those lines, but it's been a long time since I took those courses.

Other examples include things like sofa vs. couch vs. divan, sub vs. hero vs. hoagy vs. grinder etc., creek vs. stream vs. brook, and several others...
Old Jun 25, 2010, 1:27 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

One of the least mall-ized and homogenized aspects of American culture and idiom is with funeral/death customs. They vary widely by region and by ethnicity and religious background.

E.g., do you go to the "viewing" or the "visitation"?
Old Jun 25, 2010, 1:31 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by exerda
Sociolinguists and language historians trace all sorts of diagnostic word differences like this on maps, with lines (like isobars on weather maps) showing the loose boundaries--wish I could remember the term for those lines, but it's been a long time since I took those courses.

Other examples include things like sofa vs. couch vs. divan, sub vs. hero vs. hoagy vs. grinder etc., creek vs. stream vs. brook, and several others...
Where I come from, we just call them "lines."

Old Jun 25, 2010, 1:37 pm

...E.g., do you go to the "viewing" or the "visitation"?
Neither. I go to the "wake".

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jun 25, 2010, 1:43 pm

Interesting.

Even for non-Catholics, is that the colloquial term?

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
Neither. I go to the "wake".

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jun 25, 2010, 1:46 pm

Interesting.

Even for non-Catholics, is that the colloquial term?
Not sure. My family background is Scotch/Irish with a little German thrown in for good measure. We have always called them wakes in our family and none of us are Roman Catholic.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Old Jun 25, 2010, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Back to the soda, pop or coke discussion. Growing up in NYC, I often ordered a "soder." When I'm tired, that little r still occasionally sneaks into my vocab.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 3:30 pm

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors
Originally Posted by tonypct
Back to the soda, pop or coke discussion. Growing up in NYC, I often ordered a "soder." When I'm tired, that little r still occasionally sneaks into my vocab.
I would order that too....but sometimes my Mom would make me drink warder...
Old Jun 25, 2010, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by exerda

Isoglosses.

Did you have a course in linguistics/history of the English language? My doctoral minor was linguistics--though that sounds much too fancy a term for Old English, Middle English, and two semesters of "History of the English Language." (Must have had some other course relating to it but can't recall now.) Spiders, frying pans, skillets. . . . variant terms I yawned through all (and what I could recall, promptly forgot). Don't know how a poetry lover ever ended up in that group.

Mystified as to the OP's post that Coke is a generic term for soft drinks in the South, though undoubtedly there are pockets of variant terms throughout the region. But there are always going to be variants, and what sounds correct is "our" remembered terminology. I suppose I should go back to the link posted in post 1 and consult it. Anyhow, "my" sub-South or sub-sub-South says "soft drink," but then I never grew up with grits and others did, used to potatoes, others used to rice.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by phillygold
I would order that too....but sometimes my Mom would make me drink warder...
I never drank warder with a hero sandwich. I always had soder, except when I was in the Buffalo area, in which case I had pop with my sub sandwich or, in Philly, when I ordered soder with my hoagie.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 3:46 pm

Programs: BA Blue forever!
Interesting study. I've drunk Coke all my life [from age 4?]. I grew up in a US Middle Atlantic state and we called it Coke, perhaps because we were fairly near the South, where Coke was invented. Here in California they often refer to it as "soda". I get very annoyed when a restaurant tries to pass off a generic "cola" or a Pepsi as a Coke. I took the blindfold Coke vs. Pepsi at the Fair once and impressive my children. We all have our talents! I love that BA and American serve Coke. Though I enjoy United and their Channel 9 I'd prefer to have them serve Coke not Pepsi. Why did Coke and Pepsi decide to make us have to choose between them? Does it really help their sales so much?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.