FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   DiningBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz-371/)
-   -   The Consolidated "Coke? Soda? Pop? Or?" thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/diningbuzz/1099250-consolidated-coke-soda-pop-thread.html)

cactuspete Sep 13, 2002 10:08 am

The Consolidated "Coke? Soda? Pop? Or?" thread

Since the earliest research into the the English Language as spoken in North America was begun by Noah Webster in the early 18th century, the regional variations in dialect have always been the most challenging and difficult to explain field. Since the development of carbonated beverage in 1886, one of linguistic geography's most important and least investigated phenomena has been the sharp regional divisions in the use of the terms "pop" and "soda."

http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~almccon/pop_soda/

robb Sep 13, 2002 10:24 am

Coke

ETA: Grew up in Dallas, and that's what everybody calls it.

[This message has been edited by robb (edited 09-13-2002).]

MapleLeaf Sep 13, 2002 10:44 am

Isn't it Sodapop?

------------------
If you want to experience good customer service from an airline forget Air Canada and try CanJet or WestJet

wingless Sep 13, 2002 11:07 am

I have noticed in the on the west coast of US people call it soda

In the mid west they call it pop

Rarely, do I ever hear it called sodapop and longer.

------------------
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from
some form of mental illness. Think
of your three best friends. If
they're okay, then it's you.
•Rita Mae Brown

CozumelJen Sep 13, 2002 11:18 am

they call it soda here, too and do I get some strange comments when I say "I'd like a pop, please." Guess I am lucky no one has taken a swing at me ...

robb Sep 13, 2002 11:22 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">One of the Custom Texas Repsonses in their database:
sometimes i calls it stankjuice other times i call it bootywater other times i calls it juicey-juice sometimes juice bruce </font>
Texas is coming out at 80% who say "Coke," CA is showing 73% say "Soda." So, our perceptions are bearing out so far.

See the stats page.

wideman Sep 13, 2002 12:21 pm

Is no one from New England, where we use proper terminology?

The correct term is tonic.

wingless Sep 13, 2002 12:30 pm

If I said to you, "would you like a soda."
I would be meaning a Coke, Pepsi, Dr Pepper, Sprite. If I only had Coke I would say, "would you like a Coke."

If I were to order a vodka and soda, that would be Club Soda.

Tonic and Soda are completely different

Just ask someone who orders a Vodka and Tonic and gets a Vodka and Soda.

[This message has been edited by wingless (edited 09-13-2002).]

Carioca Canuck Sep 13, 2002 12:38 pm

Where I come from (Canada) pop means Coke, Pepsi, 7UP, Tab...etc. It's never been called soda IIRC.

Soda refers to soda water here...as in a vodka soda.

[This message has been edited by Carioca Canuck (edited 09-13-2002).]

cblaisd Sep 13, 2002 12:58 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wingless:
If I said to you, "would you like a soda."
I would be meaning a Coke, Pepsi, Dr Pepper, Sprite. If I only had Coke I would say, "would you like a Coke."
</font>
And growing up in Ft. Worth, we would have seen nothing unusual about the following:

"Would you like a coke?"

"Yes"

"What kind of coke?"

"A Dr. Pepper."

CameraGuy Sep 13, 2002 1:24 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wingless:
Tonic and Soda are completely different
</font>
Not here in the same back-asswards corner of the world that brought you "Candlepin Bowling".

Tonic covers ALL types of soda here in NE. Not only do we have "Funny Accents", we have funny terminology.

Thumper Sep 13, 2002 1:56 pm

In New Jersey growing up, "soda" was seltzer"

Coke was a soft drink you could enjoy.
An doanju say nuttin about accents frum Joisey.

(exit 136, in case anyone wanted to ask)

Of course now I live in the nicest part of New Jersey - Connecticut

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CameraGuy:
Not here in the same back-asswards corner of the world that brought you "Candlepin Bowling".

Tonic covers ALL types of soda here in NE. Not only do we have "Funny Accents", we have funny terminology.

</font>

eastwest Sep 13, 2002 2:30 pm

Around here, using "Coke" as a generic is quite acceptable for any sort of carbonated soft drink. Anecdotally, I would say that "Soda" is common, too.

If you mentioned "Pop" you'd probably be talking about your father.

KahunaJax2anywhere Sep 13, 2002 3:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by eastwest:
Around here, using "Coke" ....</font>

Now think what that would mean in certain crowds, say, in shall we say "high traffic" area hehehe http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...um/biggrin.gif

disneybride Sep 13, 2002 3:23 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cblaisd:
And growing up in Ft. Worth, we would have seen nothing unusual about the following:
"Would you like a coke?"
"Yes"
"What kind of coke?"
"A Dr. Pepper."
</font>
As a New Mexico native I can relate, but I often answered that question with "A Coke coke".