The Consolidated "Coke? Soda? Pop? Or?" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Consolidated "Coke? Soda? Pop? Or?" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2002, 7:13 pm

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
Ditto. Band-Aid is called that even when it's another brand (what ARE the other brands??). But soft drinks where I grew up were just called what they were - Coke, 7-Up, etc. But of course where I grew up (in Georgia), there was only COKE - Vanilla Cokes, Lemon Cokes, Cherry Cokes, Chocolate Cokes, Coke Floats, Co-Cola Cake, Co-Cola Ham... you get the idea.

I remember my first trip to Boston as a teenager. All soft drinks were Pop, Milk Shakes were Frappes (up there, Milk Shakes are exactly that - shaken milk ) ... all very intimidating not knowing how to order something so basic!

[This message has been edited by svpii (edited 09-15-2002).]
Old Sep 15, 2002, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I've never personally used the word tump, but I'm very familiar with its usage.

Another funny grammar thing is my mother's propensity to use brand-names of products as verbs...

"Will you Windex that mirror or Comet that tub". It drives me NUTS.
Old Sep 15, 2002, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While we're on it, what about "close the light?"

I don't think anyone ever says "open the light" to mean turn a light on, so where the heck does "close the light" come from? That one really drives me nuts.

And another one is "get down." If you drive to a convenience store to pick up something quick where not everyone in the car needs to go in, I have a friend who says "are you going to get down?" meaning, "are going to be the one to go into the store and take care of the business at hand?"

d
Old Sep 16, 2002, 9:44 am

Growing up in Boston, I ordered tonic.
The long sandwich you get is a sub.
The colorful little sprinkles on ice cream are jimmies. This last one remains a source of controversy in our house - Caitlin refers to them as jimmies (mostly just to cheese off my wife), but Victoria and Patrick call them sprinkles, as does my wife.

Funny story: I was with an out-of-towner at a restaurant in Rhode Island when they overheard someone asking for a "cabinet and italian grinder". He joked that he expected someone to come out with a music box and a monkey.

Of course, if you live in Rhode Island, you know that means coffee-flavored milk and a spicy cold-cut sub.

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old Sep 16, 2002, 8:06 pm

As a Midwestern transplant here in Atlanta, I've learned a few 'southernisms': Hey, slow 'up'; the kids 'dress out' for PE class; and the plural for y'all is, 'all y'alls".

[This message has been edited by Misty Moon (edited 09-16-2002).]
Old Sep 16, 2002, 9:50 pm
gsw

Programs: DL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Misty Moon:
[B]...and the plural for y'all is, 'all y'alls".
B]</font>
Y'all is plural.

My favorite Southernism is "pick up," as in "Momma and them's fixin' to pick up little Bubba down at the picture show." (Translation for non-Southerners: Mother and several unspecified persons are about to meet a boy named "Bubba" at the movie theater in order to take him to an unspecified location.)

Ain't it great to have our own dialects! Boo to "TV American English."
Old Sep 16, 2002, 10:12 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Misty Moon:
...a few 'southernisms'... </font>
A couple of sources for more learning:

http://www.alanet.com/dixie.html

http://littlerock.about.com/library/...southslang.htm

Old Sep 17, 2002, 2:26 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flowerchild:
The answer to "Is Pepsi ok?" is unprintable. In ATL, the only correct answer is COKE! </font>
In my house too.
Old Sep 17, 2002, 7:51 am

When I was a child, the common terms for soft drink were "cold drink" and "coke".

On a hot day: "I'm going to the store. Do you want a cold drink?"

In a casual restaurant:
"I'd like a burger and a coke please."
"We have Pepsi (or Coca-Cola; never both). Is that all right?"
"Same thing*."

* I'm sure that will appall marketing types at both Coke and Pepsi, but it's the truth.

No one would ever say "I'd like a Pepsi coke (or Coke coke), please."
Old Sep 17, 2002, 7:56 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gsw:
[b] Just wondering, does anyone here say Band-Aid? Or does everyone say "bandage strip"? After all, Band-Aid---like Coke---is a registered trade mark.
B]</font>
Band-aid, kleenex, and post-it note are just some of the brand names I now use as generic terms.
Old Sep 17, 2002, 7:57 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flowerchild:
The answer to "Is Pepsi ok?" is unprintable. In ATL, the only correct answer is COKE! </font>
Last time I was in ATL I asked for a Pepsi, the waitress looked at me like I had just landed on the planet and said "Will Coke Do?" - I graciously declined and had water.

Old Sep 17, 2002, 9:28 am
Commander Catcop

We should call things what we are most comfortable wtih.

Like I call tissue Kleenex.
Bandages Band-Aids
Airlines United

And...

Soda can only called "PEPSI"

Funny thread.
Old Sep 17, 2002, 9:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jon Toner:
Growing up in Boston, I ordered tonic.
The long sandwich you get is a sub.
The colorful little sprinkles on ice cream are jimmies. This last one remains a source of controversy in our house - Caitlin refers to them as jimmies (mostly just to cheese off my wife), but Victoria and Patrick call them sprinkles, as does my wife.

Funny story: I was with an out-of-towner at a restaurant in Rhode Island when they overheard someone asking for a "cabinet and italian grinder". He joked that he expected someone to come out with a music box and a monkey.

Of course, if you live in Rhode Island, you know that means coffee-flavored milk and a spicy cold-cut sub.

</font>
I grew up in NJ and CT (I was too young to know what exit when we moved from NJ but just near Philadelphia)

I call it SODA. But love Tonic - which to me means it has quinine. Soda can also be soda water (yuck).

The chocolate things on ice cream are JIMMIES - but a friend from Ann Arbor freaked once when she heard me ask for jimmies on my ice cream 'cos in her high school that was slang for condoms.

A sub-sandwich is actually a HOAGIE. A grinder I always think of as being hot - like a meatball grinder.

Also, speaking of Philadelphia, I was never allowed to say "Philly". My mom is from Philadelphia and always insisted that only those who were uneducated said "Philly"

------------------
I Love New York -- Viva Espaņa
Old Sep 17, 2002, 10:07 pm
gsw

Programs: DL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by taucher:
When I was a child, the common terms for soft drink were "cold drink" and "coke".

On a hot day: "I'm going to the store. Do you want a cold drink?"
</font>
Taucher, thanks for reminding me of the term "cold drink." In my set, this term was almost as common as "coke." In my nostalgia, though, I hear it pronounced "cole drank," as in, "That cole drank sure did hit the spot."
Old Sep 19, 2002, 4:20 am

Programs: UA
When I spent some time in the US in 96 I had a hard time getting the concept of Soda..I thought its like Soda Water, so I always declined and asked for a coke. That worked so fine that I just ordered coke from then on..until I spent some days with a Pepsi-family! LOL, I then went to drink Dr. Pepper...

In Bavaria where I come from we have some funny grammar usages. Most little villages are for example up on little hills...but when you go there you say "I am going down to the village" (or if it is in valley, you sometimes say "I am going up to the village")

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.