ATTENTION: Cilantro Haters. A must-read

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:46 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
Original Poster

Exclamation ATTENTION: Cilantro Haters. A must-read

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/di....html?emc=eta1

This is one of my favorite paragraphs from the article:

"If the flavor doesn’t fit a familiar food experience, and instead fits into a pattern that involves chemical cleaning agents and dirt, or crawly insects, then the brain highlights the mismatch and the potential threat to our safety. We react strongly and throw the offending ingredient on the floor where it belongs."

I am a true cilantro hater.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
Very interesting article, thanks for posting the link.

I have known people who hate cilantro, and I always was curious why, since I love cilantro. This was very insightful.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus
Very interesting article, thanks for posting the link.

I have known people who hate cilantro, and I always was curious why, since I love cilantro. This was very insightful.
I thought it was very interesting. My husband loves it; I hate it. I have 4 children. Two hate it. No-one is neutral.
I never eat Thai or Southwestern food. Finding good salsa is a real challenge for the cilantro hater. Fortunately, Trader Joes makes a cilantro-free salsa.
I have always said one of the reasons I love Italy is that it is a CFZ (cilantro free zone).
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:00 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by obscure2k
from my foodservice days, one of the ratios I remember is 1 in 5 people HATE (not just dislike) cilantro.

--
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
You and the Hawaiian.... I'll have to read this so I can understand him better.

(Actually, I started out an absolute cilantro hater, too--it was the bane of my existence when I was an exchange student in Thailand, but somehow I got over it.)
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:20 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Interesting that myself and my Mom LOVE cilantro while my Dad and my sister absolutely hate it.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Calcifer
You and the Hawaiian.... I'll have to read this so I can understand him better.

(Actually, I started out an absolute cilantro hater, too--it was the bane of my existence when I was an exchange student in Thailand, but somehow I got over it.)
The article will give you great insight. You will be even more understanding of your fiancee's disgust of this particular green herb.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
from my foodservice days, one of the ratios I remember is 1 in 5 people HATE (not just dislike) cilantro.

--
Right. No one is on the fence.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 7:58 pm

I am on the fence. It is sometimes used as a garnish, especially in Asia, and I will eat it depending on the position its in. If its in or on my food, I'll eat it. But if its placed on the side of the dish I'll leave it alone. My parents love it and will grab it off my plate if they see it placed on the side.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:02 pm

I hate, hate, hate it. I've never noticed the smell, but I know when it's in my food. I've asked waiters to not use it in my food. I've been to Vietnamese noodle places that use it as a garnish on their dry noodles. I'll pick it out of my food when I see it. Unlike Julia Child, I do eat arugula, although it does have a really sharp, biting taste.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
Wow, I never realized so may people hated it. I cannot imagine a good pico de gallo without it, and I always throw it in my Indian butter chicken at the end for both flavor and a garnish.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

i'm surprised that no one has mentioned the taste comparison to aluminum foil. I find the taste more comparable to foil than soap.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL KM
Thanks for the link to that article. My son absolutely despises cilantro, and won't eat anything containing it. Doesn't bother me at all, nor anyone else in my family...well, actually my daughter doesn't like it because my son doesn't like it...!
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:31 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/14/di....html?emc=eta1

This is one of my favorite paragraphs from the article:

"If the flavor doesn’t fit a familiar food experience, and instead fits into a pattern that involves chemical cleaning agents and dirt, or crawly insects, then the brain highlights the mismatch and the potential threat to our safety. We react strongly and throw the offending ingredient on the floor where it belongs."

I associate cilantro with pain: blisters in my mouth, watery, burning eyes and shortness of breath. I have gotten to be an expert at avoiding consuming it because it makes my eyes sting and water long before it gets near my mouth. "Hate" is only the beginning of what I feel about it.

Odd thing is my kid loves it, and has since he was a toddler. Maybe because he ate more Indian food than fast food between the ages of 18 months and 6 years?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 10:55 pm

Programs: Etihad Guest, AAdvantage, Virgin Atlantic
Eugh, Bleugh, and no thanks ... Not a fan whatsoever. From experience, its a bit like marmite, you either love it or you hate it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.