Wiki Posts
Search

ATTENTION: Cilantro Haters. A must-read

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:06 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PresRDC
I hate it. Totally ruins anything it is in for me.

I would absolutely love to visit Vietnam, but the cilantro is literally the only thing that's stopping me.

I make my own guacamole and salsa and substitute parsley (which I love) for cilantro.

I don't eat Indian food at all, and cilantro is definately a big reason.
As much as I detest cilantro, it wouldn't stop me from visiting somewhere. Not every dish in Vietnam contains cilantro. Also, Trader Joes makes an excellent cilantro-free quacamole.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Parsley in guacomole? YECK!!!!

I love cilantro, could eat it daily.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by obscure2k
As much as I detest cilantro, it wouldn't stop me from visiting somewhere. Not every dish in Vietnam contains cilantro. Also, Trader Joes makes an excellent cilantro-free quacamole.
We'll see. I'd probably still go. If all else fails, I know they have McDonalds.

As for store bought guac, that's another thread, but I alwasy prefer to make my own. Takes only a few minutes.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I tested this cilantro hatred thing at dinner last night. Out of a group of 8, without being prompted two people said "it tastes like soap."
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:25 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
Original Poster

Originally Posted by milepig
I tested this cilantro hatred thing at dinner last night. Out of a group of 8, without being prompted two people said "it tastes like soap."
Interesting in that they were not prompted and had not read the article. Thanks for your input.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 9:46 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Cilantro....mmmmmm! I had chicken and cilantro (heavy on the cilantro!) Asian dumplings for my lunch today.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 1:26 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred
I'm a huge cilantro lover as well but everyone I know who doesn't like it, hates it...boo to them
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, Priority Club, Marriott Rewards
I adore a beautiful salsa ( perfect with grilled chicken) made from finely chopped watermelon, red onion, coriander and a squeeze of lime.Summer in a sauce.Yummy
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by WelshGirl
I adore a beautiful salsa ( perfect with grilled chicken) made from finely chopped watermelon, red onion, coriander and a squeeze of lime.Summer in a sauce.Yummy
mango and peach work well in such a combo as well, with a bit or a lot of jalapeno as well
Old Apr 17, 2010, 9:31 pm

Thanks for the link! I also absolutely HATE cilantro. I've even tried to like it but I just can't. I can tell, even in very small amounts, when it's in my food. I can't explain it, but it makes my brain hurt.
Old Apr 18, 2010, 10:39 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat by proxy, Sephora VIB, I have a low AA FF#...
I absolutely adore cilantro, though for some reason I think I should hate it. I'm craving some Mexican food now, and it's 12:40 am.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
It tastes like soap to me, but the article mentioned that you can condition yourself to liking it. It’s tough to find good fresh salsa without cilantro, so I just add a little extra hot sauce.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
For such a love-it-or-hate-it herb, I find it oddly unmoving. I don't dislike it, enjoy it in moderation in say, Mexican food or when they sometimes include it in Pho or the occaisonal tomato soup (CX lounge in HKG had a memorably good one!) but don't care for it enough to use it when I cook.

Meanwhile, it seems like a lot of people who like it REALLY like it, and I don't get that either; my wife uses wayyy too much of the stuff when she cooks for herself.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 4:48 pm

Programs: Vietnam, Asiana, Singapore, EVA, Southwest
It's the amount of cilantro that I hate - I can take it in small doses. It seems to me that it's used in much more abundance in Tex-Mex food than in real Mexican Food. As for Vietnamese, I've encountered very little in their food, but it's true that they love fresh herbs of all kinds.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
i'm surprised that no one has mentioned the taste comparison to aluminum foil. I find the taste more comparable to foil than soap.
This is my reaction to it - I don't find it to taste soapy, but I do find that it tastes very metallic. I hate it, as does my dad - I always wondered if there was a genetic component to that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.