I hate tipping, how can we end it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I hate tipping, how can we end it?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:08 am

Its so nice to make a good salary isn't it

Your waitress usually makes about 2.50 per hour, out of that all of her social security taxes and federal and state taxes are collected. At the end of the week her paycheck is usually about 1.49. When you tip her, she has to give 10% of that tip to the busboy who cleans the tables, 1-3% to the bartender who made your drinks. Then she has to put a smile on her face when people are arrogant or nasty and smile when someone gives her 5 dollars for a 150 dollar check. Let me make the 15 percent easier, calculate 20% like I do the math is easier and you can help our another human being.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:15 am

Programs: AA, CO, EVA, UA, Hyatt PLT, SPG
Originally Posted by sassisusan
Your waitress usually makes about 2.50 per hour, out of that all of her social security taxes and federal and state taxes are collected. At the end of the week her paycheck is usually about 1.49. When you tip her, she has to give 10% of that tip to the busboy who cleans the tables, 1-3% to the bartender who made your drinks. Then she has to put a smile on her face when people are arrogant or nasty and smile when someone gives her 5 dollars for a 150 dollar check. Let me make the 15 percent easier, calculate 20% like I do the math is easier and you can help our another human being.
That depends on the state in which she lives/works in. Not all states are like that. Moreover, not all tips are pooled.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:22 am

How is any of that my problem?
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So she gives other 13% of her tip. By your maths she still keeps 87% of her tip. As you state that 'all of her social security taxes and federal and state taxes are collected [out of her hourly wage check] then she is making a pretty healthy amount of money. No one pays me extra cash each day on top of wages.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by fly2nrt
How is any of that my problem?
She goes to her manager and says, "I just got stiffed by a table." The manager's response? "Provide better service."

But what if she didn't do anything wrong?

Stealing money from perfectly good servers is not the right way to end this practice. It just hurts innocent people.
Old Mar 11, 2011, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
Stealing money from perfectly good servers is not the right way to end this practice. It just hurts innocent people.
Failing to tip is not stealing!

It may not be socially acceptable but it is not stealing. Stealing is an offence which could have you thrown into jail. In fact, if you were a server who was stiffed and you accused the customer of stealing from you, you most probably would face some consequences, some of them perhaps legal.

I respect that you still value the tipping system but let's be clear about this - not tipping may not be socially acceptable but it is not stealing (theft).
Old Mar 14, 2011, 3:43 pm

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Paying 15% on food may not be unreasonable - paying someone 15% on overpriced wine (already marked up 4-5x retail price) I think is.

When it's suggested I tip I try to work out what a reasonable salary for that job in that location is and then work out what a per task tip rate might be suitable - not a precise science but help avoids the situation where you are being taken for a ride. At JFK for a porter to wheel luggage about 50 yards the forum experts elsewhere suggested a tip rate that conservatively worked out that my porter would make over 100,000 pounds a year.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 9:43 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by Kettering Northants QC
At JFK for a porter to wheel luggage about 50 yards the forum experts elsewhere suggested a tip rate that conservatively worked out that my porter would make over 100,000 pounds a year.
I am not against tiping.

Your point is EXACTLY the essense of this thread.... i ^ ^ ^
Old Mar 15, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
At JFK for a porter to wheel luggage about 50 yards...
Something we've experienced more than once when cruising with family is handing over our baggage to a porter when boarding. The tips are "optional" but we shudder to think what might happen to the luggage on its way to the ship if the tip isn't forked over. IIRC one or two cruise ports in the U.S. have even outlawed tipping for that reason.

We roll our own luggage aboard - the tipping of course is only one reason. If you've ever seen the piles of a luggage on a typical cart during embarkation or disembarkation, you're going to try to avoid it.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:15 am

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Paying 15% on food may not be unreasonable - paying someone 15% on overpriced wine (already marked up 4-5x retail price) I think is.

When it's suggested I tip I try to work out what a reasonable salary for that job in that location is and then work out what a per task tip rate might be suitable - not a precise science but help avoids the situation where you are being taken for a ride. At JFK for a porter to wheel luggage about 50 yards the forum experts elsewhere suggested a tip rate that conservatively worked out that my porter would make over 100,000 pounds a year.
Wait--there's a porter at a US airport that will still wheel luggage 50 yards?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by Fredd
Something we've experienced more than once when cruising with family is handing over our baggage to a porter when boarding. The tips are "optional" but we shudder to think what might happen to the luggage on its way to the ship if the tip isn't forked over. IIRC one or two cruise ports in the U.S. have even outlawed tipping for that reason.

We roll our own luggage aboard - the tipping of course is only one reason. If you've ever seen the piles of a luggage on a typical cart during embarkation or disembarkation, you're going to try to avoid it.
I once had a porter on a cruise embarkation be unbelievably rude to me. No way he deserved a tip and I would have happily stiffed him except I knew all too well that he had and would use the power to make my suitcase disappear.

That was years ago; I now carry my own luggage on board same as the above. Tips are the least of my reasons for doing that but definitely among the reasons.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 4:59 pm

Programs: CO PLT, DL GM, Hertz President Circle, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by show_me_the_points
All it would take is some big chain restaurant to abolish it and all others would follow suit. Can you imagine the buzz/hype it would create for the first restaurant to do so?
Write your Congressperson and ask that the Minimum wage exception of the food industry be eliminated.

Unfortunately, the staff would not be happy as they can make BANK on tips; and, restaurants cannot afford to pay high hourly wages to retain quality staff. Work hard, get paid well is the motto.

Now, the wait staff are taxed assuming you have paid 15% in gratuity on your check, so if you pay 10% or nothing, they are essentially paying for serving you. In addition (as mentioned here) they also have to pay the busboy, bartender, host(ess) at the end of the night.

This is also why parties of 6, 8, etc are automatically applied gratuity. Not because it requires more work (does) or reduces the amount of tops they can work (does); but, because the tip often does not even reach 8%.

Back in the day, I had tables that on a $400 tab would leave $20. Where a couple having a nice dinner would leave $20 on a $80 tab. That's why the rookies get the groups or why you see auto tipping on groups.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by idriveuride
Write your Congressperson and ask that the Minimum wage exception of the food industry be eliminated.

Unfortunately, the staff would not be happy as they can make BANK on tips; and, restaurants cannot afford to pay high hourly wages to retain quality staff. Work hard, get paid well is the motto.

Now, the wait staff are taxed assuming you have paid 15% in gratuity on your check, so if you pay 10% or nothing, they are essentially paying for serving you. In addition (as mentioned here) they also have to pay the busboy, bartender, host(ess) at the end of the night.

This is also why parties of 6, 8, etc are automatically applied gratuity. Not because it requires more work (does) or reduces the amount of tops they can work (does); but, because the tip often does not even reach 8%.

Back in the day, I had tables that on a $400 tab would leave $20. Where a couple having a nice dinner would leave $20 on a $80 tab. That's why the rookies get the groups or why you see auto tipping on groups.
Someone else posted that the government assume an 8% tip for tax purposes. Which given how many people are saying 15-20% means that server is making a fair amount of tax free cash that way. However, I thought it was entirely acceptable to the IRS for you to keep a record of every tip and only pay tax on the actual amount? Thus if you don't tip, you are only costing your server money if they use the blanket amount (which long term seems way more favourable to them anyway, tax wise).
Old Mar 16, 2011, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Went to a Brazilian restaurant last night. The service was ridiculously slow. The waiter forgot my friend's drink order not once but twice. Last, it took the waiter over 20 minutes to bring us the check. When he did, I asked him if all of the tips were pooled. He said of course.

We left $1 tip. Hope they all don't spend their share in one place. The waiter had no incentive to be attentive and competent. The place was busy and the manager could not be found.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 12:27 pm

I'd say $1 was too generous in the circumstances.

The waiter didn't carry out his duties to an acceptable standard and definately did not deserve a bonus or tip of any sort.

As many have said already, the amount the waiter earns is a matter for him and his employer, only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.