Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What beer, ale, or similar are you drinking?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2010, 9:46 am

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Mühlenkölsch
Old Feb 21, 2010, 10:07 am

Programs: SU/DL/US/MR
Just got the new Budweiser 55 .... terrible, too watery
Old Feb 21, 2010, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by jredknapp11
Just got the new Budweiser 55 .... terrible, too watery
Surely, not a surprise. As I get ready to cut back on calories, I bought a six of Yuengling Light and find that I no longer care for it. I need to find an acceptable Lite beer or I'll go nuts. Some I hope I'll still like include Rock Light and Abita Light.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Ok, got some things at Central Market...

Ommegang Three Philosophers
St. Bernardus Abt 12
Maredsous 10

The Three Philosophers is already gone & was really delicious, which was expected. I totally already want more!
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:23 am

6 cans of budweiser. 6 cans of coke and tons of food
Old Feb 23, 2010, 7:55 am

Programs: UA WN Delta Hilton Gold
Yuengling beer
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:02 am

Bitburger Pils http://www.bitburger.com/

Jever Pilsener http://www.jever.de/index_jever_website.jsp

Last edited by aljoscha; Feb 24, 2010 at 8:08 am
Old Feb 24, 2010, 9:22 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by exquisitered
Ok, got some things at Central Market...

Ommegang Three Philosophers
St. Bernardus Abt 12
Maredsous 10

The Three Philosophers is already gone & was really delicious, which was expected. I totally already want more!
These are all great! Just added a bottle of North Coast Brother Thelonious to my stock.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by aau
These are all great! Just added a bottle of North Coast Brother Thelonious to my stock.
I saw that too when I was there & almost grabbed it as well (but my hands were full, haha). I'll check it out next time! Any other recommendations? I really only got into beer last year, so I'm still learning.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Any other recommendations? I really only got into beer last year, so I'm still learning.
Although your Central Market shopping list gives me some idea, I think the question to ask before offering any recommendations is, "what styles of beer do you like?" Followed by "what styles of beer haven't you tried yet?"

A good place to experience a lot of different things would be a good beer bar; in the DFW area I'd point you to branches of the Ginger Man and Flying Saucer chains. Folks who live there can probably offer other good suggestions.

Go in, talk to the servers, talk to the regulars, ask for a taste of something on draft that you've never had before and, if you like it, order a glass. Or, if you don't like it, order a glass of something else. Sign up for the place's mailing lists or look for flyers announcing special events like beer tastings, beer dinners or meet-the-brewery-rep nights. Go to some of those. Don't feel geeky if you take notes about what you're drinking so you can better remember what you'd like to order next time. I know many people who do just that, and "beer geek" is positively a term of endearment in the beer community.

That's a good way to start because you'll get an opportunity to try more beers and spend less on ones you don't really like than by buying a bunch of different bottles at a market.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:16 pm

A couple bottles of Singha
Old Feb 25, 2010, 3:36 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
In honor of this thread, I just opened a Ballast Point Sculpin IPA. ^
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:34 am
aau

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA MM Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, IHG Ambassador
I saw that too when I was there & almost grabbed it as well (but my hands were full, haha). I'll check it out next time! Any other recommendations? I really only got into beer last year, so I'm still learning.
What greggwiggins said. Try many different styles from as many countries as possible, preferably on tap. Find a bar that has the stuff you've tried and liked already on tap and try whatever else they have and get recommendations.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 3:39 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Nothing in the fridge right now. Waiting to go on a restocking run today though.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 10:59 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Loose Cannon - deliciously hoppy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.