Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite Butter - Worldwide

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2010, 2:43 pm

Straus European Style Unsalted Butter.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
I buy local creamery butter - the closer to home and the more hand-processed, the better. In Montreal I always bought Patrimoine, I'm still looking for a good Ottawa alternative.

Chowhound thread discussing it here. Guess who I am
Old Nov 1, 2010, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Fresh butter in Denmark...

OH
MY
GOD!

"Would you like a little butter to go with your bread, Ma'am?"

"Um... no thank you... but I'll have a little bread to go with my butter... or... well... maybe just a spoon please?"

Seriously. I nearly had a When Harry Met Sally moment. Sigh.

Otherwise, the only decent commercial butter widely available in the USA is Kerrygold Irish. Hands down.

Lurpak has consistent quality issues that seem related to shipping/handling (at least in So Calif). It's always "off" like it's been allowed to get too hot, or maybe is just plain old.

Still trying to identify the best option in Bangkok... nothing has wowed me yet.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by mr&mrs
Lurpak has consistent quality issues that seem related to shipping/handling (at least in So Calif). It's always "off" like it's been allowed to get too hot, or maybe is just plain old.
That is my exact issue with Lurpak, and I this is even at a store that takes the highest care to ensure the proper temps etc, so it would most likely be outside of their supply line that it happens...
Old Nov 3, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D

"Um... no thank you... but I'll have a little bread to go with my butter... or... well... maybe just a spoon please?"

I had an experience like that recently when I had the opportunity to eat at French Laundry. They brought out these absolutely gorgeous butters, one salted, one unsalted. We gobbled them down, slathering them thickly onto the bread that was brought out for our enjoyment.

Heaven. Pure and simple.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 8:46 am

Mine is Celle Sur Belle... because it feels like ice- cream in the mouth. I absolutely love it. Kerrygold from Ireland also has creamy flavor but I place it at second.

Fresh butter in Denmark...

OH
MY
GOD!

Seriously. I nearly had a When Harry Met Sally moment. Sigh.

Otherwise, the only decent commercial butter widely available in the USA is Kerrygold Irish. Hands down.

Still trying to identify the best option in Bangkok... nothing has wowed me yet.
I guess you have not tried Celle Sur Belle...

Last edited by cblaisd; Nov 4, 2010 at 5:25 pm Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Nov 5, 2010, 9:28 pm

Not a big fan of butter but whenever I do use it I go for devondale or the aluminium packaging- I think it's from Denmark but I can't remember the brand name at the top of my head right now..
Old Dec 5, 2010, 8:27 pm

Programs: BA Silver, FI, AC
Originally Posted by Captain Flush
I'm a big fan of Smjor--Icelandic, salted.
Mmmm, very good it is. Keeps its flavour when frozen for a few months as well. Another Icelandic gift to the world is this, one of the best I've ever tasted.

Yeo Valley organic butter in the UK is quite good as is Loseley Summer Meadow, a good everyday butter. But nothing quite beats the butter I bought at the Neal's Yard Dairy shop at Borough Market, made from clotted cream. Lightly salted with a higher fat and lower water content than other butters - so bad for the arteries but so delicious.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Captain Flush
I'm a big fan of Smjor--Icelandic, salted. I've seen it in a number of Whole Foods on the east coast, but I've yet to find it in the western US, unfortunately.
I remember eating this on an icelandair flight around 8 years back. Fantastic taste. I have yet to find this in any midwestern store.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by KiwiPanda
Anchor (#1) and Kerrygold (#2). My wife feels the same way and is desperate to do an Anchor butter factory tour the next time we are in NZ!

KiwiPanda

I remember trying Anchor butter in Hong Kong (imported from NZ) and liked it a lot.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 2:21 pm

Apparently, I'm missing out...
Any suggestions on where to definitively find Kerrygold butter in Washington state (preferably north or Seattle)? Apparently it's not sold in Canada. Had the wife check out a Fred Meyer and Albertsons (in Bellingham) which are on their "where to buy" website page (and a few other stores) but she wasn't able to track it down.

TIA
Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Well, just when I went to Zabar's to score some Anchor Butter, they're out. Apparently their distributor is having issues

So, I'm now enjoying Pamplie (salted) and Pascal Belleivaire (sweet)

I'm headed to London soon & will be on the lookout for something new to try.

Worst case scenario I'll pick up a fresh supply of Pascal Belleivaire as I understand they now have a retail outlet there. ^
Old Apr 2, 2011, 1:55 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Not sure what make it was (think it was a local co-op) but I've never had anything as good as the butter I had on Guernsey last summer.

In fact, the only country I've been to that comes near for milk in general, oddly, is Japan.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 8:16 am

Programs: Aerclub
Originally Posted by Mongah
Kerrygold salted pure Irish butter. I believe 8 oz is usually about 5 bucks here but honestly I don't look at the price. I am a cook and you can really tell the difference cooking with it, especially in sauces. I pretty much only use it for cooking though. For toast and other stuff I usually just use Land O Lakes or something like it.

100% agree, it is a beautiful creamy butter which makes the most beautiful mashed potato. Spread it on homemade warm Irish soda bread!! Yum yum^
Old Apr 2, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE, Goldpassport Platinum, Avis Something, Hertz Gold
You guys should try churning butter yourself. Store bought butter doesn't come close and there are a few ways you can go about doing this:

a) Buy unpasturized milk. Boil it and let it cool until you see the layer of cream on top. Separate the cream in a different container and churn away..

b) Or if its hard to find unpasturized milk then buy heavy whipping cream and churn that. Keep churning past the whipped cream stage and once the whey starts to separate you will be left with fresh butter!

You can add herbs or salt for taste or leave it as is! You can also churn it to the consistency that you like (if you are consuming it fresh). It tastes amazing!

It does require some elbow grease but that is well worth it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.