Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL canceling BOM service; AMS-BOM continuing

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
DL canceling BOM service; AMS-BOM continuing

Heard DL is pulling out of the ATL-BOM market (after moving it from the JFK-BOM routing). True?
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
I think so
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airli...fk-mumbai.html
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:55 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Ah, beat me to it again!
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it makes you feel better, I think it will be back at some point when the economy recovers...
Old Aug 26, 2009, 11:58 pm

Programs: Show me the points!
I'm surprised about this move. I am actually in Mumbai right now and when I flew ATL-BOM to get here it was absolutely full. Go figure.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by nichojo
I'm surprised about this move. I am actually in Mumbai right now and when I flew ATL-BOM to get here it was absolutely full. Go figure.
Never flown ATL-BOM but flew JFK-BOM over 10 times. Was always full in J
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
The ultra-long haul routes are brutal in terms of costs. It could be that DL is getting less cargo and that could be the difference in making or losing money.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As discussed in the other thread, DL was the incumbant on this route for many decades, through Pan Am, flying through FRA, then CDG, then non-stop. When CO and 9W started up their own nonstops and AI went to nonstop, they thought they'd be clever and rather than fight, which they should have as they had a loyal NYC area o/d market, they abandoned it and tried ATL. It didn't work. Now the economy is bad and NY too competitive and from what I understand consolidator prices even in Biz have plummeted.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 3:13 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Delta will still serve BOM this winter through AMS with the NW A332.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 3:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
DL will be ending this non-stop US-BOM service.

As correctly noted above, even consolidator prices for biz travel between the US and India have dropped substantially with the various Asian airlines -- including especially those from the Middle East -- being extremely price competitive.

In economy class, demand is still largely there. However, for DL management, their dreamy-eyed margins are no longer materializing and so we get yet another sign of DL's hop in, hop out and hop around strategy.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 4:31 am

Yes they are x-ing the ATL-BOM one. But will continue to fly to BOM via AMS, after DL-NW merger goes through.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 8:23 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mexxem
...after DL-NW merger goes through.
"Goes through" what? Merger is a done deal.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
In BOM now and want to switch to the DL flight but it doesn't operate on the day I need to leave! I thought it was daily service.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Indian routes have been sufferring from the economy. UA looked at it too for some time and then dropped the idea.

Still, surprised that an established carrier such as DL abandons this market. Tells how serious the cash drain must be.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:57 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Still, surprised that an established carrier such as DL abandons this market. Tells how serious the cash drain must be.
Unless something has changed, they are not abadoning the market. They will still serve BOM via AMS. Once the economy recovers sufficiently, look for the resumption of ATL or JFK-BOM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.