FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger-489/)
-   -   DL canceling BOM service; AMS-BOM continuing (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles-pre-worldperks-merger/989100-dl-canceling-bom-service-ams-bom-continuing.html)

anandrag Aug 26, 2009 11:45 pm

DL canceling BOM service; AMS-BOM continuing

Heard DL is pulling out of the ATL-BOM market (after moving it from the JFK-BOM routing). True?

AndyTLe Aug 26, 2009 11:52 pm

I think so
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/airli...fk-mumbai.html

DLATL777 Aug 26, 2009 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by AndyTLe (Post 12289528)

Ah, beat me to it again!

hfly Aug 26, 2009 11:57 pm

If it makes you feel better, I think it will be back at some point when the economy recovers...

nichojo Aug 26, 2009 11:58 pm

I'm surprised about this move. I am actually in Mumbai right now and when I flew ATL-BOM to get here it was absolutely full. Go figure.

anandrag Aug 27, 2009 12:03 am

Originally Posted by nichojo (Post 12289544)
I'm surprised about this move. I am actually in Mumbai right now and when I flew ATL-BOM to get here it was absolutely full. Go figure.

Never flown ATL-BOM but flew JFK-BOM over 10 times. Was always full in J

AndyTLe Aug 27, 2009 12:11 am

The ultra-long haul routes are brutal in terms of costs. It could be that DL is getting less cargo and that could be the difference in making or losing money.

hfly Aug 27, 2009 12:28 am

As discussed in the other thread, DL was the incumbant on this route for many decades, through Pan Am, flying through FRA, then CDG, then non-stop. When CO and 9W started up their own nonstops and AI went to nonstop, they thought they'd be clever and rather than fight, which they should have as they had a loyal NYC area o/d market, they abandoned it and tried ATL. It didn't work. Now the economy is bad and NY too competitive and from what I understand consolidator prices even in Biz have plummeted.

ClipperDelta Aug 27, 2009 3:13 am

Delta will still serve BOM this winter through AMS with the NW A332.

GUWonder Aug 27, 2009 3:43 am

DL will be ending this non-stop US-BOM service.

As correctly noted above, even consolidator prices for biz travel between the US and India have dropped substantially with the various Asian airlines -- including especially those from the Middle East -- being extremely price competitive.

In economy class, demand is still largely there. However, for DL management, their dreamy-eyed margins are no longer materializing and so we get yet another sign of DL's hop in, hop out and hop around strategy.

mexxem Aug 27, 2009 4:31 am

Yes they are x-ing the ATL-BOM one. But will continue to fly to BOM via AMS, after DL-NW merger goes through.

DLfan Aug 27, 2009 8:23 am

Originally Posted by mexxem (Post 12289997)
...after DL-NW merger goes through.

"Goes through" what? Merger is a done deal.

troyb Aug 27, 2009 10:48 am

In BOM now and want to switch to the DL flight but it doesn't operate on the day I need to leave! I thought it was daily service.

cesco.g Aug 27, 2009 10:52 am

The Indian routes have been sufferring from the economy. UA looked at it too for some time and then dropped the idea.

Still, surprised that an established carrier such as DL abandons this market. Tells how serious the cash drain must be.

DLfan Aug 27, 2009 10:57 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 12291430)
Still, surprised that an established carrier such as DL abandons this market. Tells how serious the cash drain must be.

Unless something has changed, they are not abadoning the market. They will still serve BOM via AMS. Once the economy recovers sufficiently, look for the resumption of ATL or JFK-BOM.