Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Ease of using the free companion ticket from Amex

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ease of using the free companion ticket from Amex

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2009, 6:06 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
keep in mind when you upgrade your Gold to Plat...that doesn't constitute "renewal", so you'll still get the Gold comp cert this year and the platinum cert next year upon renewal of the platinum card.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 8:04 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I have one of the old paper certs that require a phone call. Is it confirmed that there is no phone booking fee now? Also, are you still required to take the cert to the airport and have it ticketed within 24 hours?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 11:18 am

Yes, no phone fee.

No...no trip to the airport is necessary. You will have to have the certificate when you call because they'll ask for the serial number on the bottom cert.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Originally Posted by sany2
Do you still have to have the card to use the certificate?
I have (among other Delta cards) a options card, that used to be a Gold card, and which I received a companion cert from- can I still use it?
You have to use the card from which the cert was issued to pay for the paid ticket. I would think that if you upgraded the gold card that you got the cert from, you should be able to use the upgraded card. If you just cancelled it and applied for the other card I'm pretty sure that won't fly but it's worth a call anyway. I'm not too familiar with the options card but I wouldn't think it an upgrade since there's no annual fee. (I've been wrong before so don't hold me to that.)
Old Jul 31, 2009, 10:52 am

Programs: DL PM; US Silver;Mariott+SPG+Hyatt Gold; Hertz 5*; National Car Emerald; Avis Preferred
Fare Classes for First?

I was reading the T&C and it appears that the only fare class which is valid for First Class on these certs is now "F". Previously I had read that A and D were also valid, but the T&C seem to indicate that only full fare "F" can be used for companion tix..

Has anyone used the companion tix on non-F for FC lately?
Old Aug 1, 2009, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA
Does anyone know what happens if you use one of the free companion tickets and then the companion decides not to fly?

I'm planning to run a fall marathon on the other coast and Mr. IAST8R is on the fence about whether or not he wants to join me.

If I use the cert to buy him a ticket and he decides not to attend, I would like to assume I will still be able to fly. However, I prefer not to assume.

Thoughts welcome, experience appreciated, documentation preferred.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 5:14 pm

Has anyone ever seen an offer like Alaska has where they give you a companion certificate upon signing up and then another after a year?

The reason I ask is that we are set to travel next August so I won't quite have enough time to wait the year. I searched the web and couldn't find anything but the Alaska offer is pretty elusive so I'm hoping it might be the same with Delta and I just missed it.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by apados
I was reading the T&C and it appears that the only fare class which is valid for First Class on these certs is now "F". Previously I had read that A and D were also valid, but the T&C seem to indicate that only full fare "F" can be used for companion tix..

Has anyone used the companion tix on non-F for FC lately?
I was under the impression that the DL Reserve card's companion cert was the only cert that allows first class travel. Fare classes that are on the back of my cert are L,U,T & A.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 5:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, WN, SC, various other programs of lowly status
Originally Posted by jtrue28
I was under the impression that the DL Reserve card's companion cert was the only cert that allows first class travel. Fare classes that are on the back of my cert are L,U,T & A.

I'm 99% postive that you are correct. I do know that the DL Skymiles Amex (non Reserve) is only good for coach travel and the Reserve card cert can be used for either. There are a couple of other cards that I'm not familiar with but I don't think they even have the certs.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 6:18 pm

Do you get a free companion cert only on renewal?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold
Originally Posted by flylinda
I have used them in the past without a problem and have on occasion,been upgraded as well(although Mr. Flylinda sat in back!)
I agree that the new certificates are much easier and cheaper to use, but how did you manage the upgrades? I have been told by several Delta folks that they are stictly non-upgradeable (even the paid ticket -- even after you split up the reservation so that you are on diferent itineraries, I've tried).
Old Aug 13, 2009, 2:15 am

Programs: Plat Marriott, United, Delta, Alaskan Airlines
Originally Posted by iast8r
Does anyone know what happens if you use one of the free companion tickets and then the companion decides not to fly?
You can still fly, no problem, his ticket is lost. It happend to me in june. I tried to change the name on the ticket and it was impossible. My husband coundn't make it. I lost the fee, it was around $20.
Old Aug 13, 2009, 5:57 am

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion
BEWARE!!!!!!!! Be sure to check your credit card statements! I used my Platinum Companion Certiricate a few weeks ago, following the redemption process exactly as described (by booking through delta.com/redeem and booking only the eligible flights it showed me for that certificiate). 4 days later, I was looking at my credit card statement online, and saw I was charged for TWO FULL TICKETS! Not at all the price I was shown on my confirmation page online when I booked it. Delta web support then had the audacity to blame ME for taking 4 days to notice THEIR problem as to why it was taking well over an hour to reissue the companion ticket correctly. So, just double check what you're actually charged!
Old Aug 13, 2009, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by abcx
Do you get a free companion cert only on renewal?
correct. and like I mentioned above, if you're upgrading from the gold or platinum or what have you, you won't receive the new cards cert, but the card you are upgrading from.

Originally Posted by PaulLB
I agree that the new certificates are much easier and cheaper to use, but how did you manage the upgrades? I have been told by several Delta folks that they are stictly non-upgradeable (even the paid ticket -- even after you split up the reservation so that you are on diferent itineraries, I've tried).

i believe it's one of those situations where the less we say the better it is for us. i think there's a bug in that system. my wife and I were both upgraded during our trip last year using a platinum companion cert. it may have had to do with both of us being medallions, but we were upgraded in the FO window and she even earned MQMs and bonus miles. (she was using the cert...i received my MQMs and bonus miles as I should have on a paid ticket).
Old Aug 13, 2009, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat; AF Gold; UA GS; Hyatt L. Globalist; Marriott Plat; Hilton Diamond; National EE
Haha. methinks you have already said too much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.