Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Ease of using the free companion ticket from Amex

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2009, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Have a Gold Delta Amex card now and thinking of upgrading to Platinum for the 5K MQM. Plat also gives out one free companion ticket upon renewal, never had experience with these tickets, anybody used them before? Please share your success or frustration. Thanks.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 7:31 am

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I've found them very easy to use, and they've gotten better... You used to have to pay some ridiculous flat zone fare (which was almost always more $$$ than just booking the lowest fare ticket available) and "L" class had to be available to book it. Now it can be booked in L, U or T class (a big benefit, especially when booking T). The only thing that's hard about using them is taking them to a travel agent or to the airport to book, because they usually charge you a service fee... We have an on-site travel agent at the office who books them for free, but I usually bring her some kind of little gift as a thanks, because they're a little more tricky to book than normal tickets.

The Platinum card is worth it just for the companion ticket, in my opinion.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 7:35 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
I have used several over the past few years. It is a pain to bring the actual certificate to a booking agent, but I thought that they were supposed to be changing that?? I think that its worth the $135 bucks. Please remember that these 'free' tickets do not qualify for upgrades!
Old Jun 23, 2009, 7:44 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by kvonhoene
It is a pain to bring the actual certificate to a booking agent, but I thought that they were supposed to be changing that??
They did. I used one a few months ago and did not have to actually hand in the cert. I found the flights I wanted and then called and booked it over the phone. It was very easy.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 7:50 am
Original Poster

Wow, thanks for the feedback. Can the service fee of booking over the phone be waived in any way? How much is it? Let's say I have two of them, can I use them together at once along with a regular paid ticket? I'm also assuming there are no mileage credit for the free ticket, what about for the paid ticket?
Old Jun 23, 2009, 7:53 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by NYC101
Can the service fee of booking over the phone be waived in any way?
Phone service fee was not waived when I used them.

I'm also assuming there are no mileage credit for the free ticket, what about for the paid ticket?
I've used them twice, in both cases the paid ticket accrued miles, the "free" ticket did not.

Let's say I have two of them, can I use them together at once along with a regular paid ticket?
So you're trying to buy one, get two free? I don't think that's going to work.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:00 am

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
As with any award ticket you pay the taxes and feeson the free ticket plus the phone fee (which is annoying since the ONLY way to redeem is via phone). You can't use any vouchers towards the purchase price (ie, those credits delta gives you for IRROPs).

I think that's all I have to add. Like others have already mentioned, LUT fares so it works out to be a cheap option for "big" flights that you can essentially split the cost with someone. I dig' em.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
I've had no problems using the certificate. Since it is LUT limited, best used for vacations trips when plans can be made a little further out. With the free ticket, I've saved $300+.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:13 am

Programs: All of the above
The new certificates do not require an agent. They have a code to enter on line and have no blackout dates or minimum fare requirement however they must be LUT fares. They are also transferrable,but tickets must be purchased with Delta credit card. I have used them in the past without a problem and have on occasion,been upgraded as well(although Mr. Flylinda sat in back!)
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:21 am

I just used one from ATL-PDX and it was a breeze.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:44 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, National Executive
I just used 2 of them (won't tell you how I got an additional one, will keep that trick for next time! Anyway, very easy to use, called and was able to book both certs to take my wife and 2 kids. No phone booking fees charged (they dont charge that anymore on these certs, as of a month or two ago) They did charge for the taxes on both of the free tix, but that was excpected. The new companion certs can now be redeemed online! I would say the upgrade to plat is well worth it! I saved way more than I payed for the annual fee!
Old Jun 23, 2009, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys, I've had my mind made up! Will it work for flight to Hawaii? Lol, if not, I'll take SFO.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Thanks guys, I've had my mind made up! Will it work for flight to Hawaii? Lol, if not, I'll take SFO.
Continental US only unless you're a resident of HI or AK.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Just got this in an email from Amex today:

If youre a Delta Reserve, Platinum or Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Cardmember, you already know that you can earn a companion certificate every year upon card renewal.* Did you also know that you can redeem your next certificate online when you book? In addition, well waive the ticketing feea savings of $40. All certificates received after April 15, 2009 can be easily redeemed online.
*Delta Gold:

Eligibility:
Eligible on Delta, Delta Connection carrier (except American Eagle, BigSky and ExpressJet flight number series 7750 - 7829), Delta Shuttle, and certain Northwest flights operated under the Delta code flights (excludes all other Delta-designated codeshare flights). Companion certificate valid for one $99 round-trip Coach-Class companion ticket with the purchase of certain adult round-trip fares on published routings within the 48 contiguous United States. Residents of Hawaii and Alaska must originate from there to the 48 contiguous United States. Companion Tickets do not include Federal Excise Tax of $3.60, Passenger Facility Charge(s) of up to $4.50, or the September 11th Security Fee of up to $2.50 for each flight segment. For residents of Alaska/Hawaii, for travel to/from Alaska/Hawaii, U.S. International Air Transportation tax of up to $16 round-trip applies. Reservations are available only on delta.com. $15 fee for 1 checked bag and $25 fee for second checked bag. Allowances subject to size/weight limits. Contact a Delta agent or visit delta.com for details. Taxes and fees are subject to change, are the responsibility of the passenger and must be paid at the time the primary ticket is purchased and the companion ticket is issued. All fare rules, restrictions, advance purchase requirements, and availability are per rule of primary ticket fare purchased. Seats available at most fares are limited and may not be available on all flights. Companion tickets are not transferable once issued. Primary Ticket and Companion Ticket must be purchased with your Delta SkyMiles Credit Card. Both passengers must be booked on the same flights and dates, at the same time. Companion Certificate valid for 1 year from certificate issue date; and validity is not based on the calendar year. The certificate is issued once a year upon renewal of your Card. All travel must be completed one year from certificate issue date. Certificate terms and conditions may vary each year of Cardmembership. Additional restrictions apply.
Restrictions:
Redemption available only on delta.com. All travel must be completed one year from certificate issue date. Both passengers must be booked at the same time, in the same class of service and in the same record. Seats are limited in L, U, T class of service. All fare rules, restrictions, advance purchase requirements, and availability are per rule of Primary Ticket fare purchased. Seats available at most fares are limited and may not be available on all flights. Primary ticket will accrue miles. Companion ticket will not accrue miles. Tickets are not eligible for mileage upgrades, Platinum Systemwide Upgrade Certificates, or Medallion Complimentary upgrades. All Delta SkyMiles program rules apply. To review the rules, please visit delta.com/skymiles.
Blackout Dates:
Subject to rules of fare purchased. Most fares require an advance purchase of up to 30 days, a 3-night minimum stay and a 30-day maximum stay. Stopovers, open jaws, and circle trips are not permitted.
Taxes/Fees:
Companion Tickets do not include Federal Excise Tax of $3.60, Passenger Facility Charge(s) of up to $4.50, or the September 11th Security Fee of up to $2.50 for each flight segment. For residents of Alaska/Hawaii, for travel to/from Alaska/Hawaii, U.S. International Air Transportation tax of up to $16 round-trip applies. Reservations are available only on delta.com. $15 fee for 1 checked bag and $25 fee for second checked bag. Allowances subject to size/weight limits. Contact a Delta agent or visit delta.com for details. Taxes and fees are subject to change, are the responsibility of the passenger and must be paid at the time the primary ticket is purchased and the companion ticket is issued.
Refunds/Reissues:
Refunds are subject to rules of the fare purchased. Most fares are nonrefundable. For nonrefundable fares, Delta may permit you to apply a portion of the fare value to future travel upon payment of applicable fees and fare difference, otherwise the ticket will have no value. Delta may allow you to cancel certain electronic tickets until midnight of the day after purchase (or midnight of the departure date of the first flight, whichever comes first) without penalty if purchased at the time of reservation directly from Delta. Contact a Delta agent or visit delta.com for details. For refundable fares, refunds and changes are permitted per rules of fare purchased. Companion ticket must accompany the paid ticket for any refund, and upon refund, a new Companion Certificate will not be issued. Lost, stolen or otherwise destroyed certificates will not be replaced.
Transferability:
Certificate is transferable; however, tickets must be purchased with your Delta SkyMiles Credit Card. Primary Ticket and Companion ticket are not transferable once issued. Certificate may not be bartered or sold. Certificates or tickets acquired through prohibited sale/barter transactions are void and will not be honored for travel.
Changes are subject to the rules of the fare purchased and are subject to seat availability upon payment of the applicable per-ticket $100 administrative service charge which applies to both passengers. After travel has commenced, rerouting not permitted.
In the event of flight irregularities and/or cancellations, alternative flights will be on Delta only.
Certificate is void if reproduced, altered, counterfeited, obtained or used improperly, or where prohibited by law. Certificate has no value except when redeemed in accordance with all terms and conditions of this offer. Certificate is for new purchases only and cannot be applied to the cost of prepaid tickets, ticket by mail, miscellaneous charge orders, Airscrip or previously issued tickets. Certificate will be deemed fully used once tickets have been issued and will not be returned or replaced. Certificate is the property of Delta Air Lines and must be surrendered or returned upon request.
Fares, schedules, offers and rules are subject to change without notice. Terms and conditions of this offer are as written and cannot be altered, modified or waived unless authorized by a corporate officer of Delta Air Lines, Inc.

Delta Platinum:
Eligibility:
Eligible on Delta, Delta Connection carrier (except American Eagle, BigSky and ExpressJet flight number series 7750 - 7829), Delta Shuttle, and certain Northwest flights operated under the Delta code flights (excludes all other Delta-designated codeshare flights). Companion certificate valid for one round-trip Coach-Class companion ticket with the purchase of certain adult round-trip fares on published routings within the 48 contiguous United States. Residents of Hawaii and Alaska must originate from there to the 48 contiguous United States. Companion Tickets do not include Federal Excise Tax of $3.60, Passenger Facility Charge(s) of up to $4.50, or the September 11th Security Fee of up to $2.50 for each flight segment. For residents of Alaska/Hawaii, for travel to/from Alaska/Hawaii, U.S. International Air Transportation tax of up to $16 round-trip applies. Reservations are available only on delta.com. $15 fee for 1 checked bag and $25 fee for second checked bag. Allowances subject to size/weight limits. Contact a Delta agent or visit delta.com for details. Taxes and fees are subject to change, are the responsibility of the passenger and must be paid at the time the primary ticket is purchased and the companion ticket is issued. All fare rules, restrictions, advance purchase requirements, and availability are per rule of primary ticket fare purchased. Seats available at most fares are limited and may not be available on all flights. Companion tickets are not transferable once issued. Primary Ticket and Companion Ticket must be purchased with your Delta SkyMiles Credit Card. Both passengers must be booked on the same flights and dates, at the same time. Companion Certificate valid for 1 year from certificate issue date; and validity is not based on the calendar year. The certificate is issued once a year upon renewal of your Card. All travel must be completed one year from certificate issue date. Certificate terms and conditions may vary each year of Cardmembership. Additional restrictions apply.
Restrictions:
Redemption available only on delta.com. All travel must be completed one year from certificate issue date. Both passengers must be booked at the same time, in the same class of service and in the same record. Seats are limited in L, U, T class of service. All fare rules, restrictions, advance purchase requirements, and availability are per rule of Primary Ticket fare purchased. Seats available at most fares are limited and may not be available on all flights. Primary ticket will accrue miles. Companion ticket will not accrue miles. Tickets are not eligible for mileage upgrades, Platinum Systemwide Upgrade Certificates, or Medallion Complimentary upgrades. All Delta SkyMiles program rules apply. To review the rules, please visit delta.com/skymiles.
Blackout Dates:
Subject to rules of fare purchased. Most fares require an advance purchase of up to 30 days, a 3-night minimum stay and a 30-day maximum stay. Stopovers, open jaws, and circle trips are not permitted.
Taxes/Fees:
Companion Tickets do not include Federal Excise Tax of $3.60, Passenger Facility Charge(s) of up to $4.50, or the September 11th Security Fee of up to $2.50 for each flight segment. For residents of Alaska/Hawaii, for travel to/from Alaska/Hawaii, U.S. International Air Transportation tax of up to $16 round-trip applies. Reservations are available only on delta.com. $15 fee for 1 checked bag and $25 fee for second checked bag. Allowances subject to size/weight limits. Contact a Delta agent or visit delta.com for details. Taxes and fees are subject to change, are the responsibility of the passenger and must be paid at the time the primary ticket is purchased and the companion ticket is issued.
Refunds/Reissues:
Refunds are subject to rules of the fare purchased. Most fares are nonrefundable. For nonrefundable fares, Delta may permit you to apply a portion of the fare value to future travel upon payment of applicable fees and fare difference, otherwise the ticket will have no value. Delta may allow you to cancel certain electronic tickets until midnight of the day after purchase (or midnight of the departure date of the first flight, whichever comes first) without penalty if purchased at the time of reservation directly from Delta. Contact a Delta agent or visit delta.com for details. For refundable fares, refunds and changes are permitted per rules of fare purchased. Companion ticket must accompany the paid ticket for any refund, and upon refund, a new Companion Certificate will not be issued. Lost, stolen or otherwise destroyed certificates will not be replaced.
Transferability:
Certificate is transferable; however, tickets must be purchased with your Delta SkyMiles Credit Card. Primary Ticket and Companion ticket are not transferable once issued. Certificate may not be bartered or sold. Certificates or tickets acquired through prohibited sale/barter transactions are void and will not be honored for travel.
Changes are subject to the rules of the fare purchased and are subject to seat availability upon payment of the applicable per-ticket $100 administrative service charge which applies to both passengers. After travel has commenced, rerouting not permitted.
In the event of flight irregularities and/or cancellations, alternative flights will be on Delta only.
Certificate is void if reproduced, altered, counterfeited, obtained or used improperly, or where prohibited by law. Certificate has no value except when redeemed in accordance with all terms and conditions of this offer. Certificate is for new purchases only and cannot be applied to the cost of prepaid tickets, ticket by mail, miscellaneous charge orders, Airscrip or previously issued tickets. Certificate will be deemed fully used once tickets have been issued and will not be returned or replaced. Certificate is the property of Delta Air Lines and must be surrendered or returned upon request.
Fares, schedules, offers and rules are subject to change without notice. Terms and conditions of this offer are as written and cannot be altered, modified or waived unless authorized by a corporate officer of Delta Air Lines, Inc.

Delta Reserve
Eligibility:
Eligible on Delta, Delta Connection carrier (except American Eagle, BigSky and ExpressJet flight number series 7750 - 7829), Delta Shuttle, and certain Northwest flights operated under the Delta code flights (excludes all other Delta-designated codeshare flights). Companion certificate valid for one round-trip First-Class or Coach-Class companion ticket with the purchase of certain adult round-trip fares on published routings within the 48 contiguous United States. Residents of Hawaii and Alaska must originate from there to the 48 contiguous United States. Companion Tickets do not include Federal Excise Tax of $3.60, Passenger Facility Charge(s) of up to $4.50, or the September 11th Security Fee of up to $2.50 for each flight segment. For residents of Alaska/Hawaii, for travel to/from Alaska/Hawaii, U.S. International Air Transportation tax of up to $16 round-trip applies. Reservations are available only on delta.com. $15 fee for 1 checked bag and $25 fee for second checked bag. Allowances subject to size/weight limits. Contact a Delta agent or visit delta.com for details. Taxes and fees are subject to change, are the responsibility of the passenger and must be paid at the time the primary ticket is purchased and the companion ticket is issued. All fare rules, restrictions, advance purchase requirements, and availability are per rule of primary ticket fare purchased. Seats available at most fares are limited and may not be available on all flights. Companion tickets are not transferable once issued. Primary Ticket and Companion Ticket must be purchased with your Delta SkyMiles Credit Card. Both passengers must be booked on the same flights and dates, at the same time. Companion Certificate valid for 1 year from certificate issue date; and validity is not based on the calendar year. The certificate is issued once a year upon renewal of your Card. All travel must be completed one year from certificate issue date. Certificate terms and conditions may vary each year of Cardmembership. Additional restrictions apply.
Restrictions:
Redemption available only on delta.com. All travel must be completed one year from certificate issue date. Both passengers must be booked at the same time, in the same class of service and in the same record. Seats are limited in First-Class to F,A,D,L class of service, and in Coach-Class L, U, T class of service. All fare rules, restrictions, advance purchase requirements, and availability are per rule of Primary Ticket fare purchased. Seats available at most fares are limited and may not be available on all flights. Primary ticket will accrue miles. Companion ticket will not accrue miles. Tickets are not eligible for mileage upgrades, Platinum Systemwide Upgrade Certificates, or Medallion Complimentary upgrades. All Delta SkyMiles program rules apply. To review the rules, please visit delta.com/skymiles.
Blackout Dates:
Taxes/Fees:
Refunds/Reissues:
Refunds are subject to rules of the fare purchased. Most fares are nonrefundable. For nonrefundable fares, Delta may permit you to apply a portion of the fare value to future travel upon payment of applicable fees and fare difference, otherwise the ticket will have no value. Delta may allow you to cancel certain electronic tickets until midnight of the day after purchase (or midnight of the departure date of the first flight, whichever comes first) without penalty if purchased at the time of reservation directly from Delta. Contact a Delta agent or visit delta.com for details. For refundable fares, refunds and changes are permitted per rules of fare purchased. Companion ticket must accompany the paid ticket for any refund, and upon refund, a new Companion Certificate will not be issued. Lost, stolen or otherwise destroyed certificates will not be replaced
Transferability:
Old Jun 23, 2009, 5:58 pm

Programs: Northwest Platinum
Do you still have to have the card to use the certificate?
I have (among other Delta cards) a options card, that used to be a Gold card, and which I received a companion cert from- can I still use it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.