Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Nanfang Airline, China Southern - Earning Points on Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2009, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Hi, I recently purchased an airline ticket in China through a travel agent on Nanfang Airlines. When I type in "Nanfang Airlines" on Google, the first result that comes up is China Southern. Does this mean Nanfang Airlines is a subsidiary of China Southern? I do not read Chinese so I have not been able to find an answer to this. If so, since Delta and China Southern are both SkyTeam airlines, can I earn miles for the flight on my Delta account? Thanks for the help.
Old Jun 20, 2009, 4:45 am

Programs: DL GM/SC/SkyBonus, UA (xCO), AS, AA, US, FL, Hilton Gold, Best Western Gold, Choice, Wyndham
What is the two letter airline code used for the flight number? (ie; DL17; NW1023, AZ2340) That will help determine who the airline is. So far, I have not found an airline matching that name.

What is the route you will be flying? This will also help determine just which airline will be operating the flight.

Edit: Through my research, I have discovered that Nanfang is Chinese for "South" or "Southern China". This could very well be China Southern Airlines. China Southern Airlines in Chinese is "Zhōnggu Nnfāng Hngkōng Gōngsī".

Wikipedia - Northern and Southern China
Wikipedia - China Southern Airlines

Go to China Southern's English Site and select "Check My Trip". Try to pull up your reservation in there and add your SkyMiles #.

Last edited by Dilemma; Jun 20, 2009 at 5:03 am Reason: New Info
Old Jun 20, 2009, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bigcahonna
If so, since Delta and China Southern are both SkyTeam airlines, can I earn miles for the flight on my Delta account?
That's going to depend on fare class purchased. Several fare classes (including some discounted fares sold in country) do not earn mieage.

http://skymilesoffers.delta.com/airline_partners.php#CZ

Check the footnote.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 8:39 pm
Original Poster

I checked my fare class and it qualifies for miles. It's been more than a week and my miles haven't been posted. Is there a way to claim my miles on Delta's website or do I have to call and then fax my ticket stub to them? If so, is there a China number I can do this through?
Old Jun 28, 2009, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by bigcahonna
I checked my fare class and it qualifies for miles. It's been more than a week and my miles haven't been posted. Is there a way to claim my miles on Delta's website or do I have to call and then fax my ticket stub to them? If so, is there a China number I can do this through?
I have flown China Southern 5 times, 5, and not once have I ever received mileage credit automatically. Took multiple emails and a few faxes just to get credit.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 11:47 am

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
I recently flew PVG-ICN on a Korean Air flight sold as a China Southern flight number, booked through Orbitz, and have not gotten miles nor a response to my fax to the Skymiles Service Center. I'm not actually sure what my fare class actually was, since Orbitz doesn't seem to provide that anywhere. How can I find out?
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Last year I read the NW WP accrual letter soup to a Hong Kong CZ agent, who then told me the minimum accrual fare class equaled to the 70% fare (i.e. 30% discount). A few months ago, China's domestic discount system changed (all discount shrunk by one fifth), so the minimum accrual fare is now 76% full fare (24% discount).

Go to Ctrip.com or Elong.net and look up reservations for your city pair. See what the full fare is versus what you paid. (Unlike the discount amount, the regulated full fares haven't changed since last year.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.