Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Are DL Platinum Medallions losing award fee exemption benefit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are DL Platinum Medallions losing award fee exemption benefit?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:59 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
It's time to unite!

Originally Posted by El Boocho
I'm not saying DL won't change its policy, but currently there are no changes.

https://www.delta.com/skymiles/about....jsp#feewaiver

It seems that the complaints should be focused on NWA at this point. Since it has been established by a vocal few here that DL never listens, why complain to them? Spend your time objecting to this new NW policy to the NW decision makers. They seem to be the best chamions of your cause.
United we stand. Divided we fall. It's time for DL & NW flyers to unite on these issues - to take a united stand. If we don't, we will all end up with more of these changes. You too will end up with this policy.

The buck stops at Delta's top management. They are pulling the strings, as they go forward to align the 2 programs. Here we go....I thought we would end up with the worst features of the 2 existing programs. But, NO! Now we're getting new & improved, never thought of before, worse program features.

And the new Delta will certainly end up with fewer frequent flyers because they will defect to other airlines.

United we stand! Divided we fall! It's time to unite.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
E-mail and threats to seek status matches are not enough

OK... some of us have e-mailed our concern to DL. Others will follow suit.

Now we can await the vacuous response that we are certain to receive... thanking us for our loyalty to DL and reassuring us of DL's interest in hearing our opinions.

Threats to gain a status match and switch allegiances are equally ineffective. DL has to believe (is counting on the fact that?) every airline is hosing its frequent flyers and that, as you walk out the DL door, you'll be greeting someone else walking in.

So, what else do we do?

Even if this particular issue goes away, it will likely be followed by another equally egregious attempt to gut the FF program.

Addressing these issues one at a time, in a reactive fashion, provides DL a significant tactical advantage.

It's time for the FF community to change tactics.

Thoughts?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
The person pulling the NW strings is our beloved JeffBob. And you don't think this will apply to you? Sticking your head in the sand & telling people go bug NW will provide little protection.
You missed my point. I am saying you will be more effective complaning to the airline that made a change. I don't buy that DL is pulling all the strings at this point. NW execs still have a say. Since it hasn't changed it's policy, you probably won't get a response from DL. There is nothing to respond to. If/when DL changes it's policy, DL plats should complain to DL.

I am hopeful this is just a way to encourage booking through DL instead of NW and DL tickets won't carry the same fee.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:37 am
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
Originally Posted by cmh flyer
It's time to unite.
No, it's time to fly. It's time for United! (or American or Continental or Southwest...).

Southwest is looking better every day. None of this crap.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
You missed my point. I am saying you will be more effective complaning to the airline that made a change. I don't buy that DL is pulling all the strings at this point. NW execs still have a say. Since it hasn't changed it's policy, you probably won't get a response from DL. There is nothing to respond to. If/when DL changes it's policy, DL plats should complain to DL.

I am hopeful this is just a way to encourage booking through DL instead of NW and DL tickets won't carry the same fee.
You are correct in pointing out that DL has not actually committed the offense... yet.

However, it requires a "willful suspension of disbelieve" to imagine that NW did not confer with DL on such a precedent-setting policy change.

Perhaps the NW elites were just selected as the test group, under the cynical belief that they might be groggy from all the other shots to the head that they have received with the merger... and could not effectively fight back.

Pull this off at NW, then springboard from that successful precedent to move the policy to DL too. Then, against the momentum achieved at NW, it will be too late for DL Plats to prevent this.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:08 pm

Location: Atlanta, GA - AirTran Elite #1 FF * Delta Diamond Medallion * Starwood Platinum * PriorityClub Gold * Hilton Diamond
Exclamation Message to Jeff: Getting Rid of the PM Award Redposit?

This is the email that I just shot to Jeff Robertson. He's always been good at follow up with me because I always leave him alone unless it's urgent. This doesn't seem like the new Delta to do something that is not coordinated. We'll find out soon enough

Jeff, I had to write a quick email after reading about the change for ward redeposits at NW. As a PM / MM of many years, I have to tell you that the lack of award redeposit fees has been my favorite benefit of DL aside from free upgrades. I could handle losing the Crown Room. I begrudgingly tolerated paying fuel surcharges. UA charges $0 to 1Ks. AirTran waives redeposits since I’m Elite. AA lets me change my ticket on the same routing for free for $0 -- even though I have no status. DL is charging so many fees for partners, three tier awards, etc.

The new added revenue from PMs for eliminating free redeposits -- especially since all of this is electronic now -- cannot outweigh the loyalty factor. Anyone that books with an agent already loses a ticket issuance fee. DL's time is revenue protected in that regard even from PMs. There must be another way or NW must be working from a different playbook. I had to flag this to you immediately since this benefit has replaced the Crown Room as the favorite DL perk
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:23 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
I don't have many good options for switching airline loyalty, but the difference between Gold and Platinum for me is usually discretionary. And if this benefit is removed, my discretion will in the future be to stick with Gold and not worry about making Platinum.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I agree with El Boocho, until we have a confirmation from DL that this is taking place...we should wait and see. I also agree that if this is the case then the PM status benefits will have been reduced to nothing but upgrades and occasional better award availability. Only some people find a use for PMUs and GMs get the same bonus miles. Im crossing my fingers that this is just a misunderstanding!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
OK... some of us have e-mailed our concern to DL. Others will follow suit.

Now we can await the vacuous response that we are certain to receive... thanking us for our loyalty to DL and reassuring us of DL's interest in hearing our opinions.

Threats to gain a status match and switch allegiances are equally ineffective. DL has to believe (is counting on the fact that?) every airline is hosing its frequent flyers and that, as you walk out the DL door, you'll be greeting someone else walking in.

So, what else do we do?

Even if this particular issue goes away, it will likely be followed by another equally egregious attempt to gut the FF program.

Addressing these issues one at a time, in a reactive fashion, provides DL a significant tactical advantage.

It's time for the FF community to change tactics.

Thoughts?

Hello Southwest. Here I come. Amex + Delta lose big time in this poor decision.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I agree with El Boocho, until we have a confirmation from DL that this is taking place...we should wait and see.
Yes, let's wait and see while they divide and conquer.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:48 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Continental Platinum
I am Delta Platinum, and I have also emailed Delta about my concern. In a world where the benefits of Platinum and full-fare airlines continues to erode, this was a practical and helpful benefit. I would be very un-happy to see it go (and will share my response)

If this is just a way to generate incremental revenue, then it is wrong.

If there is a real problem here (Platinum members holding onto seats until the very last minute and cancelling an excessive number of times), then they could create some rules to mitigate the abuse. (for example, we would be allowed 3 cancellations within 5 hours of a flight during the calendar year).

There may be people abusing this to the detriment of the airline. They should deal with that -- and not go after the people who truly benefit from this (and are loyal to the airline).
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:54 pm

The weirdest thing about the latest series of changes has been to reduce the difference between Gold Elite and Platinum Elite, thus reducing the customers incentive to "reach" for Platinum instead of settling for Gold and drive incremental revenue. This just doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:58 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Continental Platinum
Originally Posted by humanoid94
The weirdest thing about the latest series of changes has been to reduce the difference between Gold Elite and Platinum Elite, thus reducing the customers incentive to "reach" for Platinum instead of settling for Gold and drive incremental revenue. This just doesn't make a lot of sense.
I agree.

I personally think they should create a 100,000 mile tier. And those people should be treated very well. I used to be an American Airlines ExecPlatinum (way back when -- so it may have changed), but there was a real difference.

I think they are diluting Platinum by making it easy to reach (Amex mileage boost, 75m qualification, etc.) and then having to dilute the benefits as a result.

Some of us actually do fly a lot -- and we should be treated differently!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:59 pm

Gee, I have probably done 15-20 changes/redeposits last year as a PM. That's a $2000 benefit being taken away from me.

Ladies and Gentlemen, vote with your wallets!

Goodbye Delta
Old Jan 7, 2009, 1:21 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

I would love to be an ostrich with my head buried in the sand too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.