Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Are DL Platinum Medallions losing award fee exemption benefit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are DL Platinum Medallions losing award fee exemption benefit?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2009, 11:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Is the following NW message about elimination of the Platinum benefit of award fee exemptions mentioned here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11026004-post248.html a sign of DL Platinums getting fleeced even more too in several weeks?

The award ticket fee exemption for Platinum Medallions is a very valuable benefit to DL Platinums and so I hope there is some mistake involved rather than yet another customer-unfriendly move by DL management.

NW Platinums lose the exemption effective March 1, 2009 according to NW emails.

Given how DL management tries to "harmonize" to the worst common denominator between the DL and NW frequent flyer programs and how DL management is running the show, DL Platinums losing a very valuable benefit at the same time as NW Platinums would seem to be just what the DL Grinch management would order.

Is this yet another sign of DL management thinking of the customers as the enemy or sheeple to be fleeced? I would hope not but nothing DL management does to strip the SkyMiles program of customer value shocks me.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11026101-post250.html

RealDLInsider -- DL management -- would talk about "customer givebacks". Well, is this to now be one of those "customer givebacks" to DL that the head of SkyMiles was mentioning? A DL Platinum "customer giveback" to DL?

Here's the discussion in the NW forum about this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/north...beg-3-1-a.html

Last edited by Canarsie; Jan 7, 2009 at 2:01 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 5:51 am

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Hmmmmm. For me, this is the last great bennie of being a PM and one that I use often. The PM upgrades are ok though not enough to keep me as insanely loyal to Delta as I have been thus far. If this is taken away though or made a bennie of a higher 4th tier I'll have to fly smarter to get to that 4th tier or start the long dreaded consideration of moving to a non LH, European based carrier.

We shall see...
Old Jan 7, 2009, 5:52 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K; Delta Silver Medallion (1MM); Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Thanks GUWonder for posting a heads up about this possible change on the Delta Forum. I might have to remove you from my ignore list (got tired of reading about "fleecing sheeple").

This would be a huge devaluation if it were to occur. I convinced a colleague of mine to do a mileage run in December in order to make Platinum. His main reason for getting to Platinum is for the award fee waivers. He has already used this benefit to rebook some TATL award itineraries booked for him and his wife.

Unfortunately, I'm too busy lately to burn many miles these days (me and my family are sitting on a million RDMs right now), but in the rare situations when I do (and in the future), having award fee waivers is excellent since it makes it practical to book tickets fairly far out, knowing that plans could change as the date nears.

I guess this is one of those "wait and see" situations. I certainly hope that it doesn't come to fruition, but if it does, there will be less and less reason to make PM instead of GM. I currently count this as one of the major incremental benefits.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by PDX-RDM-AVL-TPA
Thanks GUWonder for posting a heads up about this possible change on the Delta Forum. I might have to remove you from my ignore list (got tired of reading about "fleecing sheeple").

This would be a huge devaluation if it were to occur. I convinced a colleague of mine to do a mileage run in December in order to make Platinum. His main reason for getting to Platinum is for the award fee waivers. He has already used this benefit to rebook some TATL award itineraries booked for him and his wife.

Unfortunately, I'm too busy lately to burn many miles these days (me and my family are sitting on a million RDMs right now), but in the rare situations when I do (and in the future), having award fee waivers is excellent since it makes it practical to book tickets fairly far out, knowing that plans could change as the date nears.

I guess this is one of those "wait and see" situations. I certainly hope that it doesn't come to fruition, but if it does, there will be less and less reason to make PM instead of GM. I currently count this as one of the major incremental benefits.
This is a confirmed change effective 4/1/09. There is no "if" involved.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:28 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Oh good, a repeat of April Fees Day 2008.

David
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:41 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DiverDave
Oh good, a repeat of April Fees Day 2008.

David
According to NW communication, it's March 1st, 2009 -- at least for NW Platinums.

Given DL's obsession with "harmonization" to close arbitrage between SkyMiles and WorldPerks, why wouldn't these award fee introductions for Platinums be done at more or less the same time for DL and NW Platinums?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:50 am

Programs: Skyteam
Which other program currently has an award fee waiver for their top tier members?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skchin
Which other program currently has an award fee waiver for their top tier members?

Which award fees are you talking about being exempted from?

DL has so many more award fees -- more fees than any of the other North American, Central American, European, Asian, African or South American carriers whose loyalty programs -- it's hard to know which award fees you are talking about.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:57 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Now I'm not so depressed for not requalifying for PM.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:58 am

Which other program currently has award fee waiver (free award ticket change and award redeposit) for their top tier members?
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Which award fees are you talking about being exempted from?

DL has so many more award fees -- more fees than any of the other North American, Central American, European, Asian, African or South American carriers whose loyalty programs -- it's hard to know which award fees you are talking about.
Free award change and free redeposits.

Last edited by Canarsie; Jan 7, 2009 at 2:01 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:02 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Richard1148
Now I'm not so depressed for not requalifying for PM.
Since I saw the writing on the wall, I haven't willfully credited a single MQM of activity to my DL account in several months.

Usually I would have another 75k MQMs credited to DL well before this quarter is over too ... but not this year.

I am DL-NW Platinum through to the end of February 2010 and that's scheduled to be the end of many years of being Platinum with DL and NW unless DL management radically changes its customer-unfriendly ways.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:05 am

Write to Delta and let your voice be heard. This is outrageous.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:07 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Free award change and free redeposits.
Those are only two of many DL award fees.

To different degrees, AA, UA, AS have top-tiers exempted or subject to fewer and lower fees (even no fees in comparison to DL if talking about date changes) -- and that is just out of the US program.

Out of the foreign programs, many more have fewer and lower fees or fee-free changes compared to DL.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Those are only two of many DL award fees.

To different degrees, AA, UA, AS have top-tiers exempted or subject to fewer and lower fees (even no fees in comparison to DL if talking about date changes) -- and that is just out of the US program.

Out of the foreign programs, many more have fewer and lower fees or fee-free changes compared to DL.
Perhaps this is a preview of what will be a 4th tier benefit for status in 2010?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Perhaps this is a preview of what will be a 4th tier benefit for status in 2010?
So their plan would be to drive as many people away as they can in 2009 (esp. the NW elites) and then try to retain a few of those who remain by offering this as a 4th-tier benefit in 2010.

Makes no sense, but I've little doubt that JeffBob is capable of thinking this way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.