Community
Wiki Posts
Search

website improvements this week

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Yes, you will get criticism in addition to the appreciation and constructive suggestions, but I hope that you will find that your participation will be well worth it to you as well as to Delta forum FlyerTalk members.
May I add... please come back and follow up with us. A running dialogue would be helpful and beneficial to all.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:56 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
May I add... please come back and follow up with us. A running dialogue would be helpful and beneficial to all.
I could not have said it better myself.

Thank you, AndyTLe.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 12:46 pm

Programs: Delta Reserve - PM
Originally Posted by Pharaoh
When can I have my SkyMiles history back? ("No activity for the previous twelve months.")
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=839491
I'll have to 2nd this one. It's got to be pretty embarassing for you, the website developers, when you can't even correctly account for purchases from the "SkyMiles Store"...which then removes all history from our accounts. Have to say, I'll never use that store again...good work!!!
Old Jul 16, 2008, 2:50 pm

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Originally Posted by DeltaWebDev
*crosses fingers he's not opening a can of worms
Welcome to FT, DeltaWebDev.

You can probably uncross your fingers. I think you've opened a can of worms.

I say this because if you hang around for awhile and read all of the posts that are critical of DL, I think you'll find that the IT department takes a good amount of the criticism. Moreover, IMO, some of the criticism leveled at DL is unfounded, but I think much of the criticism leveled at the IT department is right on the mark.

FWIW, I've used some pretty harsh rhetoric against your department in the past. I pledge to stop being so harsh now that you all have a representative (albeit very unofficial ) on FT.

I think AndyTLe is one of our wisest and most prolific contributors. His words are right on the mark and I encourage you to heed them. Parachuting into this forum every few weeks/months to tell us what you've done to 'impove' dl.com without addressing the specifics of the problems we're having will not make you any friends here.

When I think about what I'd like you to address first, it's really not much of a question at all. The award search tool (specifically the calendar) is absolutely dreadful. I'm happy to break down the problem for you, but I think you should start by searching this forum using the words 'award search.' Either that, or try to book a SkySaver seat to your favorite destination using the calendar.

What is the problem and what are you doing to fix it?

Thanks for taking the brave step of joining this community. I look forward to your future contributions.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

well now that we've got the can open....

-i unfortunately don't have any information on partner ff numbers.
-the security question isn't a bluff as i spoke with a co-worker who worked on the project when I arrived at work today. at some point i'll have to answer them myself.
-the account history problem has already been fixed and will be into production very soon (i don't have a date on it just soon).
-i let our most avid fan of the iphone in qa know about the html version on the iphone. i'm also looking into it using the iphone "emulator" apple provides. one item to note is the version on the iphone is a bit different. apple "branched" the version out for the iphone between 2 and 3 so that makes it a bit harder to troubleshoot. we'll see what we can find out though.
-in terms of wasting ink on ads, just check the box for "don't print destination highlights."

to be honest, the award calendar issue i'm afraid to touch due to the emotions associated with it. i worked on the original implementation that provided the one month horizontal view above the available flights and then the next release that added the side by side calendar. don't quote me on it, but i believe it was updated 3 or 4 times since that release. as for the issues (three years of lurking and you see a lot of the posts), i know they are very well known. unfortunately there isn't anything else i can offer right now on the topic. i could have glossed over it which would appear i didn't care (bad and untrue) or i could offer the above (not the answer anyone wants). maybe i'll just hide under my desk now.

so everyone knows, my intent isn't to come here every once in awhile to say "oh look we did this today" as i'd personally find that a bit disrespectful. i plan to come frequently, provide the help and info i can, but i am here 100% unofficially. that means during my work day responses will be few and far between. i'll do my best to check in the mornings and/or evenings when i'm at home.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by jbatl
I think AndyTLe is one of our wisest and most prolific contributors.
Oh stop, you're making me blush.

DeltaWebDev, welcome. May I ask, what your general (you don't have to be exact) role is with DL is? I ask because it would help us FTers understand your abilities to effect the site website. It would also help us shape the scope of our complaints/concerns/questions.

Also, DL/NW announced that Theresa Wise from NW would become the SVP/ Chief Information Officer of the new airline. Any clues yet to how what changes could come from that?
Old Jul 16, 2008, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Originally Posted by DMIrishFlyer
Its typical - they are fixing things that don't really require fixing (who cares if a second boarding pass prints? and i can't imagine it took much longer than 5 minutes to fix it) - I guess that increasing the supported browsers is a help.

But why oh why can't they fix the problems that we see on this forum every day???????
+1 !! They don't tackle the REAL problems, yet fluff up the site with useless crap like adding FLASH to the home page. That has to be the most horrid decision, next to whoever let the award calendar be so crappy for all these years.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
I'll miss that on-page duplicate. It really threw a local TSA screener for a loop as she struggled to figure out how the two were different, eventually initialing both copies and sending us on our way.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
The preset "security questions" are the one of stupidest inventions ever. Unfortunately most large corporations have jumped onto the bandwagon. Don't they realize that there are thousands of people whose fathers don't have middle names, who don't have a favorite sports team, who have never owned a car, whose high school didn't have a mascot, who don't remember the name of their first girlfriend/boyfriend, etc.? Complete idiocy. At least some companies allow you to write your own questions.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 4:39 pm

All this glad handing is a bunch of CRAP.Fix the GD problems.Over a month with no history.Yes, I'M the guy who always blast Delta for it's ineptitude as apparently there are those who readily accept mediocre,not I.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 4:59 pm

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

Originally Posted by Getiton
All this glad handing is a bunch of CRAP.Fix the GD problems.Over a month with no history.Yes, I'M the guy who always blast Delta for it's ineptitude as apparently there are those who readily accept mediocre,not I.
I'm as frustrated as anyone (and never have been one willing to settle for mediocrity). But, shouldn't we maybe dial down the rhetoric a bit? We have a new FTer here who could perhaps help get our concerns to the people who can fix them. I fear we'll run him off with all this vitriol.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
well now that we've got the can open....

-i unfortunately don't have any information on partner ff numbers.
-the security question isn't a bluff as i spoke with a co-worker who worked on the project when I arrived at work today. at some point i'll have to answer them myself.
-the account history problem has already been fixed and will be into production very soon (i don't have a date on it just soon).
-i let our most avid fan of the iphone in qa know about the html version on the iphone. i'm also looking into it using the iphone "emulator" apple provides. one item to note is the version on the iphone is a bit different. apple "branched" the version out for the iphone between 2 and 3 so that makes it a bit harder to troubleshoot. we'll see what we can find out though.
-in terms of wasting ink on ads, just check the box for "don't print destination highlights."

to be honest, the award calendar issue i'm afraid to touch due to the emotions associated with it. i worked on the original implementation that provided the one month horizontal view above the available flights and then the next release that added the side by side calendar. don't quote me on it, but i believe it was updated 3 or 4 times since that release. as for the issues (three years of lurking and you see a lot of the posts), i know they are very well known. unfortunately there isn't anything else i can offer right now on the topic. i could have glossed over it which would appear i didn't care (bad and untrue) or i could offer the above (not the answer anyone wants). maybe i'll just hide under my desk now.

so everyone knows, my intent isn't to come here every once in awhile to say "oh look we did this today" as i'd personally find that a bit disrespectful. i plan to come frequently, provide the help and info i can, but i am here 100% unofficially. that means during my work day responses will be few and far between. i'll do my best to check in the mornings and/or evenings when i'm at home.

DeltaWebDev - you're already one up in on one of your other nameless co - workers - YOU CAME BACK and answered questions in the same thread!!!!

I for one am glad you're here, you have given us a good idea of what you can and can't do, I don't expect you to fix every issue we come up with - BUT if you can put bugs in ears at conference room tables and be an somewhat silent advocate on the inside for us FTers we'd appreciate it

Look forward to you future posts and thanks for taking the time - can't promise you won't get nailed from time to time and bare the brunt of our frustrations BUT we're all friends here!

thx
Old Jul 16, 2008, 6:01 pm

Programs: CO PE, DL PM
I really want to thank you for your participation, and I believe your presence here will be a real asset to Delta. I am in charge of the Engineering and Support department for my company, and I can tell you that my most valuable employees are the ones that are out there talking to and interacting with our customers.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 6:21 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
I would like to request that ARRIVAL times be printed on BPs. This way if a flight is running a bit late, we can better estimate how long or short our connection will be. It's always puzzled me why the BP doesn't show when we will be arriving. I'd had to logon to the delta web site to check arrival times, which is a real PITA on my phone.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL PM,1MM
Here's one little annoyance:

The entire DL page must load before I click on "My Itineraries" or the page freezes. And while I'm at it, why can't I just see all my itineraries immediately when I click on the "My Itineraries" button, allowing me then to click which one I'm interested in.

Thanks again for your posts and f/up - glad you are here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.