Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

New BusinessElite Amenity Kits and In-Flight China/Silverware/Glassware

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2008, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold

I haven't seen this posted yet. I just got off DL 56 (NRT-ATL) on 2 May, and the FAs told us that today was the first day with the new Amenity kits and the new BusinessElite service. Here are my observations:

New Amenity Kits:
The new amenity kits are great. The quality of the kits is definitely a step above any of the kits I can remember in my years of flying with Delta (and this goes back to the CD cases and tie holders, if anyone remembers those!) The kits are very well-constructed with an overflap that is secured with two magnetic catches. After lifting up the overflap, there is a zipper that opens to the main compartment. The contents of the kit are similar to the contents of the old kits, but have been upgraded in some cases. For example, Crest toothpaste and Scope mouthwash are now provided. Inside the kit is a removable zippered mesh pouch which contains most of those things. There are still some LATHER products (lip balm and random goop). The ear plugs appear to have improved but I didn't try them. The socks have improved with little non-slip nubs on the soles. Overall, the new amenity kit is, at least in my mind, the best amenity kit I've ever gotten from Delta (the only thing that would make it better would be the return of the metal bookmark), and it's on a par with, if not better than, the business class amenity kits from any of the other world-class international carriers (many of whom have actually dropped amenity kits for business class entirely!)

Glassware:
I'd better cover the new glassware, given how many people seem to have a glassware fetish (remember the uproar when plastic made an appearance in First Class? ?) The cocktail glasses are now sort of like truncated cones instead of being sort of spherical. According to the FA, the hold less ice. Since I don't care for a lot of ice, I couldn't tell the difference. The wine glasses look slightly different, but I couldn't tell too much, as I wasn't drinking wine. I did notice that the VINUM logo was gone. I guess that means that the VINUM program is gone. I did have a glass of port with my ice cream sundae, and the brandy snifter that they served the port in still looks like a brandy snifter.

Silverware:
The silverware is very odd. The "functional" end of the silverware is VERY small. It sort of reminds me of plasticware in that regard. Actually, the silverware in general is very small but, as I noted, the functional part of the silverware (the cutting part of the knife, the tines of the fork) are even smaller). I suppose it's done to look stylish. The silverware does manage to accomplish it's primary function of moving food from the plate to my mouth. The DCELTA logo and name are on the back of the silverware, not the front, which I thought was sort of odd, but which matches the china, so perhaps there's a reason.

China and Service/Presentation:
The china, the service, and the presentation all have to be lumped together. The reasoning will become clear in a moment. First, the china is all squares and rectangles. it's all white with no decorations or markings. Your nuts come out in a little square bowl. Your bread plate is square and the butter is in a square bowl, etc.

You may have heard that service is no longer done by plate, but rather is done by tray. That is correct, and there is a reason for this. When you choose your appetizer, you no longer choose one appetizer, you now choose two of three appetizers. On our flight, the three appetizer choices were hummus, cauliflower soup, and sushi. I chose hummus and sushi. Recall that the plates are all squares and rectangles. Your salad plate is a long rectangle (the salad was weird - it was not the standard bowl of various lettuces with dressing on top. Instead it was a leaf, then a slice of tomato, then a circle of cheese, then another leaf, then another slice of tomato, then another circle of cheese, and this pattern was repeated six times. They were not stacked vertically, but rather were fanned out on the rectangle plate). Anyway, the FAs have to take all these squares and rectangles and arrange them on a tray, sort of like Tetris pieces. It's much easier to do this in the galley, then bring the tray out and place it in front of you. It actually makes a lot of sense given how they're doing the presentation and it's not that they're trying to be "tacky" or anything. They're actually trying to be quite stylish. Of course, there were some hiccups. For example, that salad I described was supposed to come with these little bottles of oil and vinegar to dress it, but the FAs forgot to pass those out with it (given all the other service stuff they had to contend with, I couldn't blame them). They remembered them though, and came back around with them, so no harm, no foul. The other problem was the sushi. The service instructions didn't say anything about chopsticks (my apologies to anyone Japanese - I know I'm not supposed to call them "chopsticks", but I forget the correct term). I asked the FA how I was supposed to eat sushi with a knife and fork, since I'd never eaten sushi with a knife and fork in my life. Apparently, I was the first person on the plane who actually asked for chopsticks and the FAs didn't think they had been catered (a flight from Japan had NOT been catered with chopsticks? I don't think so!) Anyway, the reread the service instructions and found that the sushi was supposed to be presented with chopsticks and that there WERE chopsticks on board - a grand total of 5 sets! Needless to say, they quickly ran out!

The main course was brought out on an individual large square plate. There was the usual Michelle Bernstien Cardiologist's special (time it was steak, macaroni and cheese, and spinach). I had the salmon, which was surprisingly good. I would say that it was on par with what I would expect to get at a restaurant. Mind you, not what I would get at the Dilworthtown Inn or Le Bec Fin, but the main course was certainly better than some $30-$40 dinners I've had!

Anyway, we've already seen the new, improved regular BusinessElite seats, the 757 BusinessElite seats, and the BusinessElite Suites. We've heard about the bigger pillows and the comforters/duvets. With the new amenity kits, china, and service, it looks like the refreshed BusinessElite product equation is pretty much in place (except for the eventual rollout of the lie-flat seating on the 767s and the deployment of the suites onto the 777-200ERs). I'd say that Delta's international in-flight product is absolutely competitive with anyone else as far as Business Class goes. I still maintain (as I always have) that Delta's ground product is weak and really needs to be bolstered. For example, Delta really needs arrivals facilities in more of their long-haul destinations. Delta really needs to figure out some type of "dine on the ground" option for US to Europe flights (which looks like it will never happen with the closing of the BueinssElite Lounges). Most importantly, Delta (and SkyTeam) need to figure out a way that Crown Room Club members can gain access to SkyTeam lounges and facilities, even when not traveling in premium classes, without being SkyTeam Elite Plus. For example, if a Gold Medallion is a Crown Room Club member, there should be some mechanism whereby the Gold Medallion can secure access to SkyTeam lounges and arrivals facilities when traveling internationally, even if the GM isn't on a premium class ticket. I've previously suggested offering an "International" level of CRC membership that would grant SkyTeam lounge access.

The point is that Delta seems to have the in-flight product pretty much nailed (one little nit is that I would like a larger screen in BusinessElite). Now they need to spend a bit of time working on the ground part of the product.
Old May 3, 2008, 12:23 am

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

Awesome report. Makes me look forward to be BE travels this summer. Thanks!
Old May 3, 2008, 12:39 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Silverware:
The silverware is very odd. The "functional" end of the silverware is VERY small.
Do you think this might render it less usable as a weapon in the hands of a sinister individual?
Old May 3, 2008, 3:58 am

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
I was beaten to the punch, as I flew on DL 55 from ATL-NRT on May 1 (arriving on May 2). jimrpa's observations are right on and consistent with my flight crew. The crew kept commenting that so much of this is new and kept having to look at their guide, especially with the 2 of 3 appetizers (which were sushi, couscous, and asparagus soup). The salad wasn't great and was very odd, and they did forget the dressing. But, no worries there. The meal was absolutely delicious. I had the special Tenderloin and Shrimp Scampi. Also, with regard to the wine glasses, I believe they are bigger, which is nice. I definitely agree that the B/E product is right up there, if not better, than the products of the other U.S. airlines and European carriers.

Last edited by RSSrsvp; May 3, 2008 at 8:33 am Reason: Removed OP's quote. There is no need to take up so much screen space.
Old May 3, 2008, 5:00 am

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
Were the new pillows and duvet on offer on the NRT flight? If so, any opinions on those? Confort, softness, size?
Old May 3, 2008, 10:36 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
I also noticed this on DL179 (LHR-ATL) yesterday. It was the crew's first exposure to the new service and they were having fun with the appetizer mix and match. I saw a set of printed photos illustrating the proper presentation taped up in the galley.

Presentation aside, the food was great! I chose the hummus and ham as an appetizer and found it quite good and flavorful. Against the conventional wisdom of never eating seafood on a plane, I tried the salmon for the main course. It was also really good. Noticeably, there was a LOT of food. By the time I was finished with the fruit and cheese plate, I was really full.

The second service was a choice of a shrimp quesadilla or black and blue salad. I had the quesadilla, which was served with sour creme and salsa in seperate little containers, and it was quite good.

The usual snack cart was available throughout the flight and included little bars of Toblerone chocolate. I had not noticed these on board before, but they are a nice touch, you're a chocolate fan.

I've seen the new blankets and pillows covered in other threads, as they were introduced several months ago, but I like them. The blankets are the most comfortable I've found on any airline and I like the large pillow. No problem at all getting comfortable with these!

Glassware and crockery are what they are. I noticed it was new and stylish, but thought it seemed smaller and lighter than the previous set. I assumed it was chosen because, at least in part, it is lighter (thus helping reduce fuel use). I also noticed that it was not branded, but I guess that is to help reduce shrinkage.

Agree completely with jimrpa on the new amenity kit and its contents. As he said, it rivals the best out there. I flew AUH-BAH-LHR in Biz on Gulf Air and was given no kit at all.

I'm impressed with the service improvements in BE. Once the new seats and entertainment systems are fully installed, Delta's BusinessElite product will be very competitive with any TATL carrier.
Old May 3, 2008, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by heckler
Were the new pillows and duvet on offer on the NRT flight? If so, any opinions on those? Confort, softness, size?
The new pillows and duvets are among the best I have had on any airline. Easily the equal of BA F. The pillows, especially are very comfortable and a good size. The duvets are a very nice fabric (no static) and good size - heard some of the FAs saying they are so large that they fear people tripping over them in the aisles.

Regarding the new amenity kits (the wife just brought one home from her 5/1 flight); the case has changed, but most of the products seem the same. That is fine with me, as the Lather products are pretty good. Still, could use a few more goodies tucked in there, but they give you the basics.

All in all, between the food and pillows and blankets, I think that DL is definitely heading in the right direction with BE. I'd still trade all of it for a flat bed, but it makes me hopeful that the flat-bed BE will be a truly top-notch product. The general direction I see, to me, is something to be very excited about.
Old May 3, 2008, 11:08 am

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
I do not think that you salad was strange because it did not have lettuce. It sounds as if it was a standard classic caprese salad. I would, however, agree that a bit of vinegar and olive oil enhance the taste. Hopefully they will soon work out all of the kinks to the service.
Old May 3, 2008, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL Platinum : LH FF : BA Silver : AA Gold : AVIS First : Hilton Silver
Agree that DL is stepping up after flying VIE-ATL DL41 on May 2:

- Amenity Kit I actually took home for the wife as I only used the socks which by the way are much improved

- Duvet is perfect as it is large and non-static. I actually can sleep very well with it. Same for pillows, I like those much more than the flimsy ones they had before

- Food actually was not that great, but more to my personal taste. Presentation was really neat.
Old May 3, 2008, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
How is the appetizer presented? Does it come by on a tray for you to select from? or do you choose two of the three from the menu? It sounds like tables are no longer set as befoer with linens, bread plate, salt/pepper, water glass, silverware...is that all presented on the main tray now and then individual plates removed from there as needed?

I always liked how tables were dressed a la carte like a restaurant. Took away the airplane feel of the inflight service.
Old May 3, 2008, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
How is the appetizer presented? Does it come by on a tray for you to select from? or do you choose two of the three from the menu? It sounds like tables are no longer set as befoer with linens, bread plate, salt/pepper, water glass, silverware...is that all presented on the main tray now and then individual plates removed from there as needed?

I always liked how tables were dressed a la carte like a restaurant. Took away the airplane feel of the inflight service.
You choose everything from a menu. Tables are still presented with linen, bread plate, salt/pepper, water glass, etc. Now it's just set in a tray (likely larger than what you're picturing). The empty plates are removed as necessary, the main course is delivered in its own plate and set on the tray. To be honest, the tray did not distract from the presentation, at least for me. I didn't even realize it was there, until she picked it up at the end with everything inside. The fruit/cheese plate is still presented seperately once the tray is removed.
Old May 3, 2008, 5:49 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
JFK-SVO had all of this too in BE on May 1. I love the amenity kits as well. Very, very nice. The new menu is a nice improvement too.

Kudos to Delta and I'm SO glad that one of the last routes to normally see upgraded anything got this one right on time with everyone else (at least ATL to NRT). If lie flat BE seats and the improved Coach seats come out this fast in the future I'll quit my "Russia routes are undervalued" rants!

Way to go Delta!
Old May 3, 2008, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by heckler
I had the new pillows and comforters/duvets on DL55 when I flew over on April 25th. I was under the impression that they've been on the BE service for some time. They're absolutely wonderful. The pillows are incredibly comfortable. Just the right combination of fluffy and firm. The comforters are again perfect, light, yet warm.

Delta really has the pillow/comforter products nailed as well. PJs would be nice, but not absolutely necessary. I toyed with the idea of bringing my SQ PJs, but decided not to.
Old May 3, 2008, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbarnette
All in all, between the food and pillows and blankets, I think that DL is definitely heading in the right direction with BE. I'd still trade all of it for a flat bed, but it makes me hopeful that the flat-bed BE will be a truly top-notch product. The general direction I see, to me, is something to be very excited about.
Recall that the direction for wide-body BE is flatbed (suites on the 777s and the other type of flatbed on the 767s). with the new version BE seats with the improved leg rest height, I found sleeping extremely comfortable. I certainly wouldn't say it was as comfortable as "old SQ F" (747 SkySuites), but with the new pillows and comforter, I was able to sleep quite comfortably, even on my side. I sure as heck was better than those awful "flat an an angle" things Air France was deploying as part of their NTC when they first rolled it out (I've heard that they've since changed the seats to true lie-flat, but I've avoided Air France since NTC, simply because of the awful NTC seats!)
Old May 3, 2008, 6:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingfran
I do not think that you salad was strange because it did not have lettuce. It sounds as if it was a standard classic caprese salad. I would, however, agree that a bit of vinegar and olive oil enhance the taste. Hopefully they will soon work out all of the kinks to the service.
I grabbed the menu from the flight. You are correct about the salad. It was strange to me, but then, I'm not particularly fond of cheese, so I would not normally order any salad that mentions cheese. Here's the entire menu for DL56:
STARTERS
Caprese Salad served with balsamic vinaigrete

It's your choice...with your Caprese Salad, you may choose one of the following combinations below:
  • Hummus with caramelized onions and pine nuts and a Selection of Sushi
  • A Selection of Sushi and Cream of Cauliflower Soup
  • Cream of Cauliflower Soup and Hummus with caramelized onions and pine nuts
MAIN COURSE served with assorted breads and butter
MEALS FROM A MASTER
Delta Chef, Michelle Bernstein's Selection
Tender Fillet of Beef and peppercorn sauce, served with sauteed spinach, macaroni and cheese
"I don't know who could pass this up. It's classic sophisticated meets comfort food all the way. My favorite Mac 'n' cheese recipe meets my version of steak au poivre. It's my weakness and makes me feel so good and relaxed." - Michelle Bernstein
Please select Michelle's main course or an alternative main course below.
[b]Grilled breast of Chicken[b] with marsala mushroom sauce, accompanied by gnocchi, green beans and carrots.
Grilled Fillet of Salmon in creamy saffron and tomato sauce, served with a medly of snow peas with bell peppers and Basmati rice.
Linguine tossed with spinach in a light gorgonzola sauce, topped with sun-dried tomatoes and walnuts.
Japanese Choice
A selection of Japanese fare including sushi, zensai, wan, sunomono, takiawase, and an entrée of grilled salmon kogane with steamed rice
FRUIT, CHEESE, DESSERT Our Dessert Wines and Port make a perfect accompaniment
Sliced Fresh Seasonal Fruit
Fine Cheeses selected to perfectly complement one another in flavor and texture, offered with grapes and strawberry
All Natural Vanilla Ice Cream Sundae with your choice of sauces, whipped cream and chopped nuts, garnished with a Pirouline cookie.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.