Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Any unpublished benefits/restrictions for foreign SkyMiles members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any unpublished benefits/restrictions for foreign SkyMiles members

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2008, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by gleff
Help me follow here. Does this mean that if you earn Gold with a European address you are actually given Platinum? Or something else?
I take it to mean that a DL Gold with a European address is comped to Platinum. I am just curious on how that is processed: is it automatically done when someone with a European qualifies for Gold, how does it work for current Golds who relocate to Europe, etc.

NW does something interesting for NW Golds with an "Asian" address -- they are only SkyTeam Elite but get lounge access anyway at least to:

Northwest WorldClubs, KLM Lounges, Aeromexico Salón Premier Lounges, Alaska Airlines Board Rooms, China Airlines Dynasty Lounges, China Southern Lounges, Continental Airlines Presidents Club, Delta Air Lines Crown Room Clubs, and Malev Hungarian Airlines Duna Clubs

when flying those carriers.

http://www.nwa.com/asia/en/worldperk.../benefits.html

So for those who do 100k EQM/MQMs of travel a year and have our European and Asian addresses, 50k on DL and 50k on NW could be a quite useful combination. For those who do 125k EQM/MQM, 50k on DL and 75k on NW could be useful.
Old May 4, 2008, 8:14 am

Programs: SQ, UA, Delta, BMI(RIP), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond (Thanks Amex) Hyatt Discov
Originally Posted by rcs85551
There is no link since this promo does not require you to enroll. If you open a new Skymiles account with an address outside of North America, the bonus is automatic. It is triggered by your first Delta flight activity.
Does this require one to fly rountrip on DL before the bonus miles are credited, or will one get the bonus miles even on the first Delta OW flight after enrolling with a non US address? Thanks
Old May 25, 2008, 6:55 pm

There is a good signup bonus for new international Skymiles members, which yields 6K miles for enrolling and doing the first flight in economy, or 11K miles for enrolling and doing the first flight in paid business or first class.
Any idea how long for the miles to post?
Old May 25, 2008, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Originally Posted by GUWonder
On the other matter of European DL Golds being comped to Platinum, is the Gold to Platinum comp applicable to those who already have a DL account opened in the US and then relocate/return to Europe?
I would be interested in how this works as well.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL FO; > 6'8" FF club
Just a bump to see if anyone else has any insight to whether a US based GM account can be moved to a EU address and will receive plat

It would be worth it for me to make GM that way
Old Jun 10, 2008, 7:11 am

Never mind....

Last edited by oxfordjames; Jun 10, 2008 at 7:13 am Reason: Read post again..
Old Jun 10, 2008, 8:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Pancho4life
Just a bump to see if anyone else has any insight to whether a US based GM account can be moved to a EU address and will receive plat
I hesitate to offer too much in the way of confirmation, but here is the way it went for my wife:

1) Requested a comp, based on CO status in early November. Comped to Gold. At this point, I believe her address was still in the US.
2) Received Gold welcome package.
3) Changed address to Europe.
4) At the time of the regular yearly mailings, she received a new platinum package.

Note, however, that there was no note explaining why she was bumped to Plat. Nothing other than the package. Also, from anecdotal evidence that has made the rounds, it appears that the bump may be related to the year-end renewal cycle - so you wouldn't get Plat immediately upon reaching Gold, but at the end of the year.

As with all of the information in this thread, all of these benefits appear to be unpublished, so there doesn't appear to be any hard and fast rules available anywhere.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 7:36 pm

There is a good signup bonus for new international Skymiles members, which yields 6K miles for enrolling and doing the first flight in economy, or 11K miles for enrolling and doing the first flight in paid business or first class.
Anyone with an idea if a flight on NW also counts? Since they're the same now, I guess it might ...
Old Feb 8, 2009, 8:10 pm

Programs: LH SEN, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Does anybody know if European GM's are still comped to PM status? I'll be moving back to Europe later this year.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 9:08 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by pbarnette
The title pretty much covers it. I'm likely switching to SkyMiles from OnePass and was wondering if there are any unpublished or poorly publicized perks or restrictions for foreign addresses. For example, with OnePass, European members earn 200% on TATL BF (published), while Golds and Plats receive PC memberships (unpublished).

Since I have a European home, but also a US mailing address, is there any reason to choose one over the other?
Redeeming awards on DL can be really costly from Europe, as has been pointed out on the following thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l#post11214570

If I was living in Europe I would consider it a deal breaker, as the International Originating Surcharge can cost nearly as much as the ticket.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 6:57 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Here is confirmation:

In 2008 I flew just over 50k MQMs on Delta. During this time, I moved to Switzerland and in August 2008 changed my address to Switzerland.

Today I just checked the mail here in Geneva and received a Platinum Medallion welcome packet. Thus my European address, combined with my 50k MQMs in 2008 - earned me Platinum Medallion for 2009. It is confirmed.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 7:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by DP-340
Redeeming awards on DL can be really costly from Europe, as has been pointed out on the following thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l#post11214570

If I was living in Europe I would consider it a deal breaker, as the International Originating Surcharge can cost nearly as much as the ticket.
DL award ticket fees can even cost more in cash than a regular paid ticket for travel between the same origin and destination -- so not only can the cash charges for the award ticket exceed a regular paid ticket, there's also the cost in miles to add insult to injury.

What some people are doing to try to get around that is transfer miles from the DL account to a NW account and going about redemptions that way. There are pros and cons of going about it that way, but it's circumstances-specific.
Old Feb 9, 2009, 7:37 am

Programs: KM P, DL S | SPG G, HH S | Hertz PC, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by beofotch
Here is confirmation:

In 2008 I flew just over 50k MQMs on Delta. During this time, I moved to Switzerland and in August 2008 changed my address to Switzerland.

Today I just checked the mail here in Geneva and received a Platinum Medallion welcome packet. Thus my European address, combined with my 50k MQMs in 2008 - earned me Platinum Medallion for 2009. It is confirmed.
Some 55.000 MQMs in 2008 and I've just received the GM envelope for 2009
Old Feb 9, 2009, 9:33 am

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, UA-PE, AA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
What some people are doing to try to get around that is transfer miles from the DL account to a NW account and going about redemptions that way. There are pros and cons of going about it that way, but it's circumstances-specific.
I see the pros but not the cons... What are the cons?
Old Feb 12, 2009, 1:49 pm

[QUOTE=rcs85551;9329139]There is a good signup bonus for new international Skymiles members, which yields 6K miles for enrolling and doing the first flight in economy, or 11K miles for enrolling and doing the first flight in paid business or first class. [QUOTE]

Is it promo still on? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.