Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Any unpublished benefits/restrictions for foreign SkyMiles members

Old Feb 28, 2008, 3:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold

The title pretty much covers it. I'm likely switching to SkyMiles from OnePass and was wondering if there are any unpublished or poorly publicized perks or restrictions for foreign addresses. For example, with OnePass, European members earn 200% on TATL BF (published), while Golds and Plats receive PC memberships (unpublished).

Since I have a European home, but also a US mailing address, is there any reason to choose one over the other?
Old Feb 28, 2008, 6:30 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by pbarnette
The title pretty much covers it. I'm likely switching to SkyMiles from OnePass and was wondering if there are any unpublished or poorly publicized perks or restrictions for foreign addresses. For example, with OnePass, European members earn 200% on TATL BF (published), while Golds and Plats receive PC memberships (unpublished).

Since I have a European home, but also a US mailing address, is there any reason to choose one over the other?
There are none that I am aware of.

The use of the medallion market place is restricted to those with a US (50 state) address and US credit card, but I think you are covered there.

One thing possibly for the future, with a DL/NW merger, and the probable DL/AF alliance, European members may eventually be switched over to AF or KL Flying Blue program, as NW do with their European members. Therefore, different rules would apply. This is speculation though.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
I can't think of anything either.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 7:26 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
There is a good signup bonus for new international Skymiles members, which yields 6K miles for enrolling and doing the first flight in economy, or 11K miles for enrolling and doing the first flight in paid business or first class.

Apart from that, Delta does comp European Gold Medallion members to Platinum status to match the requirements for Skyteam Elite Plus status that Air France/KLM's Flying Blue program has. This benefit is not published, but it does exist.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 8:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rcs85551
There is a good signup bonus for new international Skymiles members, which yields 6K miles for enrolling and doing the first flight in economy, or 11K miles for enrolling and doing the first flight in paid business or first class.
Happen to have a link/offer code?

Apart from that, Delta does comp European Gold Medallion members to Platinum status to match the requirements for Skyteam Elite Plus status that Air France/KLM's Flying Blue program has. This benefit is not published, but it does exist.
That is most definitely a nice benefit and even the possibility of it is well worth giving them my Euro address. It is especially nice because I was considering FB, because of the ST Elite + at Gold, but since the whole purpose of switching from CO is to get full EQMs/MQMs for NW V fares, DL was looking like a better alternative.

Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by pbarnette; Feb 28, 2008 at 8:16 am
Old Feb 28, 2008, 8:49 am

Programs: LH HON, DL FO/MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Accor Lifetime Platinum, Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Happen to have a link/offer code?
There is no link since this promo does not require you to enroll. If you open a new Skymiles account with an address outside of North America, the bonus is automatic. It is triggered by your first Delta flight activity.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 9:00 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There is no link since this promo does not require you to enroll. If you open a new Skymiles account with an address outside of North America, the bonus is automatic. It is triggered by your first Delta flight activity.
On the other matter of European DL Golds being comped to Platinum, is the Gold to Platinum comp applicable to those who already have a DL account opened in the US and then relocate/return to Europe?
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:42 am

Could you clarify how this works? I was GM during 2007 and was pleasantly surprised to be granted PM in January 2008 despite being short the required MQMs, but I assumed it was similar to the other reports here on FT of people being granted the next tier despite falling short.

My husband should reach GM during the year. Would he automatically be granted PM once he reaches it (eg. mid-year), because of being a European GM member, or would that benefit not be granted until January 2009 after he closes the year as GM?

Susan
Old Feb 28, 2008, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Just out of curiosity, for those based outside the US... what is the advantage of having Elite status with a US Airline? Why not KL or AF?
Old Feb 28, 2008, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Just out of curiosity, for those based outside the US... what is the advantage of having Elite status with a US Airline? Why not KL or AF?
In my case, it is strictly related to the best route for our usual itinerary. We live at CPH and have a second home at MCO where we go at least 3 times a year. The current best route is DL via ATL. Prior to DL returning to CPH in 2006, we usually flew SK, but the DL option is a huge improvement.

Susan
Old Feb 28, 2008, 1:33 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I would think that for a number of people on this board it shouldn't be too difficult to be "based" in a variety of locations, and the address an airline has on file may have very little to do with where most of a member's flying is done.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 1:40 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

For me personally, it has to do with the fact that I won't necessarily be based outside the US forever, so that plays into it. There is also the whole issue of why I am leaving CO, in the first place, which is that I prefer to fly NW internationally and am sick of having to 'buy up' for full EQMs. And, if I go with AF, I will be doing that all over again.

Besides, I don't see AF/KL as having any real advantage, other than the lower thresholds for elite status. But, from a benefit perspective, they don't really seem to offer anything extra, even if flying their metal.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 1:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
The benefit I would see with Flying Blue is the ability to redeem F awards on AF and KE, not to mention the 300% mileage for paid F class.

That may not outweigh the drawbacks.
Old Feb 28, 2008, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Same reason as Susan here: i have to fly TXL-JFL one a month and DL was the only carrier for that route in the 90's....
Also, they HAD a better FF programm compared with AF/LH/BA in the 90's when i started my FF career.
Old Feb 29, 2008, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Delta does comp European Gold Medallion members to Platinum status to match the requirements for Skyteam Elite Plus status that Air France/KLM's Flying Blue program has. This benefit is not published, but it does exist.
Help me follow here. Does this mean that if you earn Gold with a European address you are actually given Platinum? Or something else?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.