Search

Delta Customer Event in ATL on 5/18

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2006, 6:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by CelticFlyer
They aren't just talking the talk. Jim Whitehurst had a lot to say about what they have already done. They are already walking the walk.

I knew Jim Whitehurst's name before the event but had no idea what he was like. He is very direct and spoke very honestly. He seems to have affected many of the staff with his confidence, focus, enthusiasm and drive and some of it even rubbed off on us rather cynical FT types!

I suspect that any DL staff who try to go into a meeting with Jim while only "talking the talking" will leave the meeting knowing fine well that "talking the talk" doesn't cut it anymore and they better learn to "walk the walk" or walk the plank!
Very refreshing to hear this. (While the former senior management at DL were good people too, I was just not a fan of what they did to an airline that really was a cut above before.)
Old May 19, 2006, 6:52 am

Programs: Former 16 year Gold Medallion
It sounds like a great event. I don't think I saw anything about meal service in first or RJ's and flight length - didn't Jeff Grinstein once get quoted as saying that three hours in an RJ is not something he wanted to ever do? Just curious if either of those topics arose.
Old May 19, 2006, 7:07 am

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by CelticFlyer
They aren't just talking the talk. Jim Whitehurst had a lot to say about what they have already done. They are already walking the walk.

I knew Jim Whitehurst's name before the event but had no idea what he was like. He is very direct and spoke very honestly. He seems to have affected many of the staff with his confidence, focus, enthusiasm and drive and some of it even rubbed off on us rather cynical FT types!

I suspect that any DL staff who try to go into a meeting with Jim while only "talking the talking" will leave the meeting knowing fine well that "talking the talk" doesn't cut it anymore and they better learn to "walk the walk" or walk the plank!
I agree...and am optimistic about DL's future because of people like Jim Whitehurst in executive management. He grew up in Georgia, was a DL PM as well (in his previous management consulting job) and really didn't have to give up a cushy job at a white-shoe management consulting firm to come to a bankrupt company.....He joined Jerry in giving up bonuses and severance packages, and has often been on the front line with staff (e.g., he participated in the voluntary clean-an-aircraft campaign, he helped serve drinks on a flight the day the new uniforms debuted...). Many DL employees I have talked to (even the cynical ones) have uniformly given him top grades for his attitude, charisma, intelligence, and inter-personal skills...
Old May 19, 2006, 7:15 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by Lehava
As someone said tonight "I am a kool-aid drinker now"
And to my suprise it tasted pretty good. Just don't expect me to go ga-ga over everything DL like some some folks here. I have been closely involved in this type of meeting before and developed close relationships with management from another airline, only to have felt betrayed much like the four who met with the old management of DL. In my gut I don't think this is going to happen with this team so for the time being I'm willing to give them some slack.

Not being much of a drinker, I do have a nasty hangover this AM. Me thinks it was the rum they added.....

Last edited by longing4piedmont; May 19, 2006 at 7:27 am
Old May 19, 2006, 7:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Very refreshing to hear this. (While the former senior management at DL were good people too, I was just not a fan of what they did to an airline that really was a cut above before.)
How diplomatic.
Old May 19, 2006, 7:36 am

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
I agree...and am optimistic about DL's future because of people like Jim Whitehurst in executive management.
I too was extremely impressed. I do believe he "gets it" I had the opportunity to speak with him privately for about 10 minutes and I while I enjoyed similiar conversations with other members of management, my impression of Jim was the most encouraging. For the first time in a very long time, DL has the right person at the top.
Old May 19, 2006, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
I really wish I had been able to attend! Why does an appendix have to rupture at such an inconvienent time? I am so glad I "stuck" with DL these past 10 years because even thought I wasn't there to drink the "kool aid" (that kool aid would wash the fun pain pills down well ), I believe all your reports and opinions on here and am excited about the future of DAL.
Old May 19, 2006, 7:56 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite, Delta
Bottom line for me is I walked out of that event with the feeling that the people at the top

a) Care about Delta's future and understand that Delta was once a GREAT airline.

b) Understand that if they continue to make 'enhancements' that make those of us that spend more time in a airplane then our own cars upset, they will lose customers and go under.

c) Are listening to us. They said that they don't have an 'official' lurker.. but It sure sounded like they're watching what's being said here and taking it to heart.

I was impressed with the things that are in motion (more frequent cleaning of the aircraft, new menus, new seating at ATL) and think that they are planning the right things.

I walked away with a good feeling (and no, I didn't drink any of the Mango Kisses) about where Delta is headed.
Old May 19, 2006, 8:37 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by vasantn
There certainly seems to have been a lot of good substance here. I'm really glad that they talked the talk. Unfortunately, they have done this many times before but failed to walk the walk. I hope, for the sake of the airline and for our own sakes, that this time will be different. Not trying to be negative; just realistic in the face of past experiences. (Getting asbestos suit on ...)
Vasant I think even those of us there wonder this to, but at least from my point of view what was different was they werent telling us about things that will come "some day" they were things already in the works and they gave us very specific dates and %'s they have done now and when the full process should be done. Stupid example, but the new drinks roll out June 1! (ok yeah I am excited about my flight back from CA on June 3rd *smile* make mine a mango kiss *grin*)

The comments made above about changes to Awards, I cant recall if Jeff said this in the presenation or afterwards, but they anticipate these changes happening by December. A lot of it is technology related that is taking so long, and they have a lock down on IT in December so they are HOPING to make November or it will wait til Jan (this is the true level of detail they shared with us, which was refreshing).

As for me not convcing Jim to designate BGM the new hub and give me the desired amenities, do you think I am done *grin* I have his card!!!

But seriously I think one thing he did say that is worth sharing is that Delta and Delta connection is done with acquiring 40 and 50 seat CRJ's, and they will be transitioning to 70 seat planes with TWO classes. They know (except the web site guy who actually LIKES CRJ's *shaking head*) we arent CRJ fans, they know they are uncomfortable and are trying to adjust it.

We also requested (in a great talk with the IT guy whose card I wish I had gotten) being able to filter out CRJ's and code shares and for flights with upgrades available. It was interesting because he seemed almost surprised at the request. But hopefully we at least got it in their minds.

I have to admit after that great event last night I was on an NWA flight this morning (a code share with DL, Continental and 1/2 the world from the list they read). And even though I was in first on a great plane (A320), I hated it more than normal. The service was horrible at best, and knowing how DL is going to try to focus on that made it even harder to be happy about crap service. I briefly said this to Jim last night, but think it needs to come up more in depth at some point, is Delta also needs to look at their code share partners and the service their DL passengers are getting on flights they book through DL despite whose metal its on. Because NWA is NOT cutting it!!!!!!!!! We are DL medallions and book with DL because we want to fly with Delta or Delta connection, not on NWA or someone else (if we wanted to fly with them we would book with them!!!!)
Old May 19, 2006, 8:45 am
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Originally Posted by rnovak
An excellent presentation, however, I have to admit I was a little disappointed in the lack of SWAG. I thought for sure they were going to give all 6 sets of Hartman luggage away at least.
I wasnt going to bring that up, but now that you have, I agree. I really expected we would be able to either purchase or be given something with Delta and the widget on it (Like a gate or two *smile* canarsie stop laughing at that). I figured luggage tags, pens at least or something.

And YES I figured they were going to do multiple drawings on the Hartmann Luggage also, was rather bummed to see that they did one person only!!!! And gave that person two sets. Spread the love around *smile*!!!!
Old May 19, 2006, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
But seriously I think one thing he did say that is worth sharing is that Delta and Delta connection is done with acquiring 40 and 50 seat CRJ's, and they will be transitioning to 70 seat planes with TWO classes. They know (except the web site guy who actually LIKES CRJ's *shaking head*) we arent CRJ fans, they know they are uncomfortable and are trying to adjust it.
Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences from last evening. I really regret not being there.

It is encouraging to read the reviews from the fellow FTers who were in attendance. It seems that everyone was universally impressed by what was said...and more importantly, came away believing that Delta is serious about making the improvements and is led by people with the competence and determination to restore Delta's legacy as an industry leader. Despite the "kool-aid" comments, FTers are a cynical lot and not easily fooled by smooth talking airline execs. If they made believers out of the 50 of you who represented us, then I'm in too!

I am especially encouraged to read the above comment re the CRJ. That's a big point with me and one I was hoping they would acknowledge. That they have pledged to stop acquiring them is exactly the acknowledgement I was hoping for! Hopefully, we see more and more of them heading for the desert or the scrap yard.
Old May 19, 2006, 9:03 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite, Delta
I wasnt going to bring that up, but now that you have, I agree. I really expected we would be able to either purchase or be given something with Delta and the widget on it (Like a gate or two *smile* canarsie stop laughing at that). I figured luggage tags, pens at least or something.

And YES I figured they were going to do multiple drawings on the Hartmann Luggage also, was rather bummed to see that they did one person only!!!! And gave that person two sets. Spread the love around *smile*!!!!
Whew.. I thought I was the only one and was going to get flamed for being greedy.
Old May 19, 2006, 9:12 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by DLfan
FTers are a cynical lot and not easily fooled by smooth talking airline execs. If they made believers out of the 50 of you who represented us, then I'm in too!.
I think this is important to remember, that we arent a bunch of naive stupid people who as someone (who didnt attend) just said to me were conned with "smoke and mirrors". There was a high level of genuiness to the presentations. I think the fact that they were so forthright about their mistakes, about admitting they knew we had problems with some of their past decisions really said a lot. They did NOT just wine and dine us and tell us the world would be perfect in the future. They were very forthright about what we can and expect and what we cant (as Jim said often "we have to remember we are still in bankruptcy"). They admitted there is lots they would like to change but reality of the finances prevents.

I also think Delta took a BIG risk with this event and we need to remember that. They have now made promises to many many of their core customers, and know we are sharing it with all their other customers (they said many times in their presentations "we know this will be on FT in the morning" and Jeff got quite a laugh out of it when we told him it was going up during the presentation on crackberries and he could read it when he got home). For them to not follow through now could seriously lead to them losing MANY MANY customers and the faith of many many more. This is really a "put up or shut up" chance for them, and if they were just jerking us around they are going to hurt themselves!!!!!!! I really believe they are genuine about all this!!!!!! And am willing to stake my status and miles on that.

Originally Posted by DLfan
I am especially encouraged to read the above comment re the CRJ. That's a big point with me and one I was hoping they would acknowledge. That they have pledged to stop acquiring them is exactly the acknowledgement I was hoping for! Hopefully, we see more and more of them heading for the desert or the scrap yard.
Forget the desert, I think we should let David Letterman find creative ways to demolish them!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Lehava; May 19, 2006 at 9:21 am
Old May 19, 2006, 9:32 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Starwood GM
Originally Posted by milesandpoints
also introduced 2 new drinks, The Mile High Mojito (which was very good!) and another drink called the Mango kiss seemed interesting (didn't try one).
Will the new drinks also be served in plastic glasses?
Old May 19, 2006, 9:37 am
In memoriam

Arrow

Originally Posted by Kahuna
Will the new drinks also be served in plastic glasses?
Who cares *Smile* they were phenomenal, I'd drink them out of dixie cups. After watching an NWA drop a glass glass on a flight today and get cut you know what there are reasons for not having them!!!! Not to mention glass glasses will add to turn around time!!!!

BTW, how much fun would it be to be a fly on the wall today at Delta HQ to hear THEIR reactions to last night *smile*

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.