Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Atlanta Airport Parking

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2002, 7:27 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
What this thread demonstrates is the morass of misinformation and fear about mass transit that pervades suburban Atlanta.

Of course, I say that living in just such a suburban county with such a morbid fear of transit (and THOSE folks that will ride it into OUR community spreading CRIME) that we turned down a free-of-cost $1+ million grant to run a few express busses from here straight to Hartsfield.
Old Nov 27, 2002, 9:21 am

If you do decide to park in a covered Marta deck, don't park on ground level or on a level where there are pedestrian walkways across the deck. My car was broken into (Sandy Springs station) and the Marta police guessed it was someone just "passing through" -- they recommended parking on a level that would get less foot traffic from non-parkers.

-Sabrina
Old Nov 27, 2002, 9:39 am

If you're going to park at the airport, I'd suggest checking their website for updates on availability:

www.atlanta-airport.com (click on departures)

After you leave the house, you can also get this info from 1-877-ATL PARK.

So far today the only lot that's full is South Economy.

Good luck!
Old Nov 27, 2002, 9:40 am

Interesting comments from those who would avoid MARTA like the plague after-hours. It is exactly tens of thousands of people who feel this way who, because they don't support the transit system during these hours, if ever, make it less traveled and therefore seemingly less safe and easier for would-be crime committers to plot against those who do use the service. If 10% of the people who talked about how unsafe the system is were to actually make use of it, I feel quite certain that it would simply make it even more safe. There's something about that saying 'there's safety in numbers.' But, unfortunately, people just don't see or understand that. That is sad, and could have a long-term impact on the way Atlanta grows in the future. It has already limited the growth of MARTA rail for years, which needs to be more accessible in counties such as Cobb and Gwinnett. This mentality is literally keeping the area from reaching its full potential.

I have taken MARTA many times, several times to/from Hartsfield, with and without luggage, day and night, and have not encountered any problems whatsoever. Have felt relatively comfortable and safe whenever using the MARTA rail system.

Dare I discount the experiences of others, therefore I will not. I know things happen, but again, if better utilized, I suspect there would be fewer of these incidents of theft and crime aboard MARTA and other mass transit systems around the nation. Just makes too much sense to me, but who am I?

Happy Holidays to all of my Fellow FTer's...

AtlMan
Old Nov 27, 2002, 9:29 pm

I think Marta is great. The drawback is there is no security for your car. Also, some lots like Chamblee you technically are not allowed to park overnight.

If you have to park a car, I would try one of the pay lots off the airport because on a busy day the hartsfield lots will be full. The paylots in my experience are not any cheaper or quicker but its less hassle especially if its raining.
Old Nov 27, 2002, 11:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Justin026:
What this thread demonstrates is the morass of misinformation and fear about mass transit that pervades suburban Atlanta.</font>
I live in Atlanta, Midtown to be exact. I know MARTA and there is no misinformation about it so far in this thread. You said you lived in the suburbs, where do you draw your experience with MARTA from?

Old Nov 28, 2002, 5:33 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by jimpop:
I live in Atlanta, Midtown to be exact. I know MARTA and there is no misinformation about it so far in this thread. You said you lived in the suburbs, where do you draw your experience with MARTA from?

</font>
Thank you. I think the poster was accusing US of being surburbanites because of cautionary comments regarding Marta. Others seemed to be expounding upon a mass-transit utopia.

I, too live intown. I have ridden Marta since its inception (15 cent rides, those were the days). A Marta bus just rumbled past my house as I was typing that last sentence. I am familiar with the system - both its positives and negatives. I based my comments on actual experience.

And I still would not recommend Marta to an Atlanta newbie with luggage (and possibly herding a family) during possible evening hours to get to/from the airport. A Falcons game would be another matter, however...

Old Dec 2, 2002, 11:33 am
Original Member

2 notes...I always use MARTA after getting a scare 3 years ago--leaving on a Tuesday PM for a 2 week round-the world trip and -not- finding parking at the airport is not an experience I'd like to repeat.

1. The Lenox stop is probably the best alternative (this said as my mirror got broken off over the weekend). The parking is office-building type (rather than open) and ends up free (rather than $3/day) if you return after 11:00 PM (the agent goes home, leaving the gates up)

2. They're now running night North Springs trains from the airport...you now need to watch which train you board (formerly the airport trains nights went out to Doraville--you changed at Lindbergh for a North Springs shuttle train). They're alternate trains so you've got a 5-10 minute wait if you get on the wrong one.

3. The only time I'll consider -not- using MARTA is a situation where I'm going to be gone exactly 24 hours--economy on-airport for 24 hours (and onward by the hour) turns out cheaper than $3 for the first 24 hours, $3 for any time over the first 24, plus $3.50 for the MARTA fare. (I'm nervous about parking in the daily parking for more than the day at, say, Chamblee)

I bought my house in Dunwoody specifically to stay in MARTA-land (Dekalb County)...

JL
Old Aug 17, 2003, 8:12 pm

Atlanta Gold Parking Lot

Does anyone here have a membership for Atlanta's Gold Parking Lot, or can tell me about this program? It looks really convenient. How much is the cost? How does one join?

Thanks.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 2:16 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
I've got one. It's relatively expensive but worth every penny.

The lot is on the lower level right across the roadway from the terminal. Membership is tightly controlled (there is a waitlist), so you always have a space waiting for you. Hence, you can always arrive at a predictable time before your flight, as you don't have to factor in any additional time locating a parking space.

When accepted into the program, you are issued a magnetic card encoded with your membership. You touch it to the entry panel and the gate opens. You touch it again to exit, and it calculates your time in the lot and charges your account $24.00 per day spent parking. Your credit card account is billed $200 initially, plus a minimum annual usage of $288 is charged to your credit card every January, and then as you park the amount spent for parking gets deducted from those credits. Once your positive balance gets below $200, your credit card is charged again to restore the balance to $200. If you don't use the full $288 in a year, you forfeit it -- a way of chasing off people who have a card but never use the lot.

It's nice to have that space waiting on you whenever you go to the airport.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 5:59 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Robert Leach:
If you don't use the full $288 in a year, you forfeit it -- a way of chasing off people who have a card but never use the lot.
</font>
I've had a Gold parking pass for 6 years now.
As Robert said, it is worth the expense if you don't want to factor in parking space search time for each trip to Hartsfield.

The minimum annual usage is a new requirement. You also forfeit your $200 deposit if it is not used by the end of the year.

I tried to get a second pass for our company a few years ago and was told there is a year or more wait. Maybe the wait list is shorter now.

Parking Company of America at 404-530-5010 is the name and number that is on my monthly statement.
Old Aug 20, 2003, 2:49 pm

This URL contains pretty much what Robert Leach said above, but there is also some contact information in case you are interested:

http://www.atlanta-airport.com/suble...rking/gold.htm

Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:09 pm

Programs: Delta PM,UA 1P,
Parking at Hartsfield

I am posting here because I know a lot of you are Atlanta based Flyers.
(Mods please move it if this is inappropriate)

For the past 9 years I have been taking Marta to and from the airport from my Midtown home. I have moved out to the sticks (read Athens) and will be driving and parking my car at the airport.
Any places are better than the rest, money isn't a huge deal as it is expensed, however convenience is important along with my car being safe.

Any suggestions are appreciated

Dan
Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL DM; 3.1 MM
Call the parking authorities at Hartsfield and find out how long the wait list is to get a spot in the Gold Lots. They are adjacent to the terminals, and they issue access cards for rapid entry and exit. The fee is then charged to a credit card on file. It is extremely convenient, but last I heard there may be a multi-year waiting list.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 6:00 pm

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
It's been a few years since I lived in Atlanta, but you should take some time and check out the private facilities on Camp Creek Blvd. Most of them have good security with quick and frequent shuttles. Some of them have covered parking, and a few even have some concierge-type services such as car cleaning and oil changes. I actually recall being able to drop off dry cleaning at one of them. ParkNFly is a name that comes to mind, but perhaps someone with more current experience could suggest exactly which ones are best these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.