Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Unaccompanied Minors Traveling on Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unaccompanied Minors Traveling on Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2003, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I was told once that the airlines decide who to check for ID. In other words, it works kind of like a bar: If they think you're 18 or older, they can ask to see ID. Of course, if you're really 17 and didn't bring any ID (or 14 and don't even have one!), what happens then?

Anyway, most government employee IDs don't show date of birth, but they are valid for boarding a plane (government-issued, photo).

Bruce
Old Feb 4, 2003, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Could a 22 year old get on by saying they are younger? YUP!!

Could a bad guy get on by using a fake ID? YUP!!

Could a bad guy get on by using his own ID? Yup!!

Could someone get on using someone elses ID? YUP!!

ID Checking is a waste of time. I really do not know why we do it.
Old Feb 4, 2003, 10:57 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
I was told once that the airlines decide who to check for ID. In other words, it works kind of like a bar: If they think you're 18 or older, they can ask to see ID. Of course, if you're really 17 and didn't bring any ID (or 14 and don't even have one!), what happens then?

Anyway, most government employee IDs don't show date of birth, but they are valid for boarding a plane (government-issued, photo).

Bruce
</font>

I was just told this last week from a friend who is a TSA supervisor.

IDs at the security check in are NOT a TSA requirement. That's why, at least at my home aiport, those IDs are checked by private security, not TSA employees. TSA does not care who uses a ticket or boards an aircraft . . . it's the airlines issue.
Old Feb 4, 2003, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
They check ID in an attempt to discourage us from giving or selling our tickets to someone else. It increases revenue.
Old Feb 4, 2003, 3:58 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NoStressHere:

ID Checking is a waste of time. I really do not know why we do it.
</font>
For flights requiring passports Delta reps seem to actually check them (and scan them to provide early capture) - but for flights requiring "Federal ID" I generally show them one of any number of european IDs none of which have ever been challenged and none of which is a national "state" ID. They seem to care only about name and picture which smells like a revenue issue....

Old Feb 6, 2003, 6:58 pm

Location: MHT, DL DM & now KM!/ formerNW Plat /HH Diamond/SPG plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SRQ Guy:
They check ID in an attempt to discourage us from giving or selling our tickets to someone else. It increases revenue.</font>
So we can only give/sell our tickets to persons who are (or look) under 18?

Old Feb 6, 2003, 9:03 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SRQ Guy:
They check ID in an attempt to discourage us from giving or selling our tickets to someone else.</font>
Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner!! Security reasons merely provide a convenient facade to hide behind.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CelticFlyer:
For flights requiring passports Delta reps seem to actually check them (and scan them to provide early capture)</font>
That's different. Yes, the airlines really do check passports when they are required, because authorities in the destination country can fine the airlines for knowingly transporting a passenger without valid travel documents.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CelticFlyer:
but for flights requiring "Federal ID" I generally show them one of any number of european IDs none of which have ever been challenged and none of which is a national "state" ID. They seem to care only about name and picture which smells like a revenue issue....</font>
Yep. Name and picture is about all they can care about, for practical reasons. A driver's license seems to be the most popular form of identification for Americans who aren't traveling with passports. That's 50 different forms of ID right there, each one equally valid. Do you really think your average counter agent in Biloxi, MS can spot a fake Wyoming driver's license when he/she sees one? That's not even to mention the other forms of identification one might use... ID-checking in the name of security is a charade. Remember, sale of unused tickets used to be big business.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 10:38 am

Programs: DL
Unaccompanied Minor Award Ticket? (Not my child.)

Still coordinating with the mother on logistics, but can anyone say from experience if I can book an award ticket online using my Skymiles for my (step)niece? She is 12 and the flight would require a connection.

I called to ask, but the nice but non-U.S. based operator didn't really seem to know.

I know there's an additional unaccompanied minor fee, but I'm a little unclear as to if I can use my miles to get her the right flight. I'd prefer to do it online because I am trying to get her on the same flight back (last leg) as grandma who is coincidentally returning from a different location that same day.

I figure I will just book online and then have the mom call, but wondered if anyone had direct experience with this kind of thing.

Thanks.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by kaiserjoeicem

I called to ask, but the nice but non-U.S. based operator didn't really seem to know.
I love it when people get their plug in on the anti-Indian call ops without saying it.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 5:18 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory (never use it), CoOnepass, DeltaSkymiles, AAdvantage
in Sept my dad booked me an award on the BRU-ATL-BRU route as i was still under 15 i had to fly as an UM we did pay the 60$ aditional fee
Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
I love it when people get their plug in on the anti-Indian call ops without saying it.
Don't know if you're being sarsastic or not, but the only reason I didn't specify Indian is I wasn't sure where the operator was based. The first lady had an accent, but that doesn't mean much, and I could understand her. The second man I tried to talk to had such a thick accent that I couldn't make out what he was trying to tell me, and I am not sure he understood me, either.

He was really nice, but as people have noted before, if what you're asking deviates from the norm they don't know how to handle it. And for many people, the only reason we call is because somethine deviates from the norm.

No. 2 also didn't listen. I said I needed to get a ticket for my niece, and the first thing out of his mouth was would need to accompany my daugher to the airport. (Later he changed this to "he")

I did manage to finally get this accomplished. Two phone calls to Delta folks with thick accents that made no progress, so I did it online and followed up with a call. I called the SM number and got an extremely nice and helpful Southern-accented operator.

She was very understanding of the slightly off-the-norm situation (especially the part when I explained my niece would be meeting up with grandma halfway through the trip home). She made polite professional small talk and didn't just "thank (me) for choosing Delta." She said "I hope you have a wonderful visit with your niece," which was nice personal touch, I thought.

She also said she'd called the non-U.S. based Delta operators (is it India? I don't know) for flight information and said they insisted Delta didn't fly to SLC.

I also hate the new voice mail that wants you to speak into the phone. In an earlier call, I missed the option to press 9 for the old way, and I was simply trying to get to an operator. I had to keep saying "I don't know" over and over for it to finally give up and connect me to an operator.

But hey, it's done with and my niece is visiting. How does one amuse a 12-year-old for three days?
Old Jul 14, 2005, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
What do you normally do in Detroit for fun?

My sons are 11 and 12. If it's interesting, novel, or exciting to you, it may be to your niece.
Old Jul 14, 2005, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
What do you normally do in Detroit for fun?
Play softball, but no games that weekend. Other than that, nothing. I work a 40-hour job and several free-lance gigs, so I am always working.

I told my sister-in-law I get to be a tourist that weekend but have no idea what to do. I don't mind walking around and looking at the various area downtowns, but I don't know that she will. She will enjoy Somerset, I think, even though malls are about the third level of hell in my mind.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 10:12 pm

Unaccompanied Minors and Bumps?

Is there a strict policy against letting unaccompanied minors earn DBC? I have a few kids getting a headstart for the Thanksgiving weekend at Grandmas. If I take them to the gate and they are indeed oversold, can I volunteer the kids and bring them back for the next flight? Grandma (on the other end) would be aware of the plan and updated with the new flight. This assumes the kids (or Grandma) don't shoot me ...

Happydad

Last edited by happydad100; Nov 11, 2006 at 10:18 pm
Old Nov 11, 2006, 11:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by happydad100
Is there a strict policy against letting unaccompanied minors earn DBC? I have a few kids getting a headstart for the Thanksgiving weekend at Grandmas. If I take them to the gate and they are indeed oversold, can I volunteer the kids and bring them back for the next flight? Grandma (on the other end) would be aware of the plan and updated with the new flight. This assumes the kids (or Grandma) don't shoot me ...

Happydad
If you're at the gate with the UM and there's another acceptable flight available for rebooking(not last of the day), I don't see a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.