Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Post No wonder there are no free seats

They are selling them...

Delta's Load factor recap for July is at:
http://www.newspage.com/network/expo...&date=19990707

[This message has been edited by jeffreyt (edited 07-07-1999).]
Old Jul 7, 1999, 8:42 am

Question

It seems like a 77% domestic load factor is low. I haven't been on a DL flight in the last 6 months that hasn't either been full or oversold. Where the hell are the empty seats to cover the other 23%?? They must be on ComAir or another DL regional.
Old Jul 7, 1999, 8:52 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Cool

Notice that their load factor decreased from a year ago though because their available seat miles outgrew their revenue passenger miles.

I don't believe that revenue passenger miles include non-rev passengers (though it does probably include frequent flyer awards).
Old Jul 8, 1999, 2:52 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
I'm not sure about the figures including FF award travel. If they are revenue miles then I believe they DON'T include the award travel since no money was collected for those tickets.

As for DL available seat miles outgrowing revenue passenger miles, this suggests that someone at DL finally got smart and decided to add larger planes/more flights to the schedule to accommodate increased demand. Although their load factor may be down, I'd bet their revenues are up.

Also, with load factor down, this suggests more available seats for awards. The data is only for one month, but if the load factors have trended down since the start of the year and continue down (or at least remain at the current level), we can expect that DL's % seats used for award travel will be HIGHER than it was last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.