Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Generous?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 1999, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Question Generous?

I quit flying Delta several years ago, but my wife still has to fly them on occasion. One such occasion was in mid-June MCO-ATL-MCO. On the return, the standard trick of delaying the flight in 30 minute increments (total delay = 4.5 hours) put my wife in MCO at 2:30 am.

Not being elite, she didn't bother complaining. Imagine the surprise yesterday to get a $75.00 voucher for the troubles. Rather have miles, but I'll grudgingly concede the nice gesture.

So, is this standard practice for Delta these days? What type of comp do elites get in these circumstances? I remember DL flights always being late (especially from ATL), but never did I receive such a thing. From AA, of course, I have come to expect it!
Old Jul 7, 1999, 8:34 am

Cool

I don't know if it's standard practice or not, but the last time I had a lengthy delay (I'm a DL Gold), I went to the Service Counter and they gave me a $150 voucher & a $10 meal voucher.

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 07-07-1999).]
Old Jul 8, 1999, 11:28 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
I agree it is a nice gesture. I've gotten several $75 coupons for delays as you have described. Never gotten a $150 one, however. The $75 coupons are very useful when needing to change tickets (The fee for changes).

Sad that they couldn't be more predictive of the departure time. You'd think with all of the computer information that they track, they could give a good estimate of departure time!

Old Jul 8, 1999, 11:46 am

sorry, my $150 was really 2 $75 ones....
Old Jul 9, 1999, 8:26 am
Original Member

I received a $75 voucher on a flight which was delayed 2 hours last fall.

In February I was departing SDF for LIT with a change of planes in ATL.
When I arrived at SDF for my 8:55 PM departure I was told that the ATL-LIT leg of my trip had been cancelled.
Delta had both my work number in Louisville as well as pager number in my reservations record, but did not bother to contact me concerning the cancellation. I learned from the agent in Louisville that the flight had been cancelled at 5:00 PM that afternoon, supposedly because of a mechanical problem. If Delta had only contacted me, I could caught an earlier flight.
To make a long story short, I received a $75 voucher for a two hour delay, but for a delay of almost 12 hours I received nothing. Go figure!
Old Jul 9, 1999, 9:09 am
Original Poster

MW - Your 12 hour experience is pretty close to the 'every time I flew Delta' experiences I used to have. Voted with my wallet & haven't flown them for 5 or 6 years. Living in Orlando now, I have to get pretty 'creative' to avoid DL. So far, so good! My wife still flies them, but the last couple of flights she's had have helped to change her patterns as well.

Cheers,

'toad

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.