Class-action suit against Delta settled

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 1999, 1:49 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA2MM
Class-action suit against Delta settled

From the new release:

NEW YORK, Feb 2 (Reuters) - A court has approved a settlement ending a 1988 class action lawsuit filed against Delta Air Lines Inc's frequent flier travel program, attorneys representing Delta passengers said Tuesday.

The settlement, approved by a circuit court in Cook County, Illinois, ends a lawsuit accusing Delta of violating its frequent flier agreement and sets discounts and extra miles for certain passengers who joined the Delta program before July 1988. Gil Gordon, an attorney representing Delta passengers, said the pact affects 580,000 people who had at least 40,000 miles before July 1, 1988, the date Delta raised the number of miles passengers had to fly in exchange for a free, unrestricted ticket. "It was a breach of their contract," Gordon said. "Before July 1, 1988, passengers were entitled to an unrestricted ticket after 40,000 miles of travel. Today it costs you 50,000 miles for the same ticket."

Gordon said affected passengers would have the choice of earning double miles for a year, discounts on fares, or mileage coupons.

[This message has been edited by burkey (edited 02-02-99).]
Old Feb 2, 1999, 2:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: Delta Platinum
I think the lawyers should get their fee in airline discount coupons and double miles, not cash. Of course that won't happen.

(I'm a lawyer, BTW)
Old Feb 3, 1999, 7:11 pm
Original Member

Gercohen--I agree with you as well. however, since I may be a member of the class, I may have a conflict of interest. Certainly want to get whatever is coming to me. Wonder how they are going to prove who had that many miles back in 1988. I certainly don't have my statements around from back then. While I have earned several hundred thousand on Delta over the years, I have no definite proof what my balance was back then. I will be following this to see if I get anything out of it.
Thanks for posting it, Burkey.

P.S.--I have in the past and am defending some large class action suits for major companies, so don't get me started on the "merits" of class actions.

Djlawman

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.