Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

China Eastern and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Eastern and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2019, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Any changes including cabin, require redepositibg and reissuing. Awards are included in the free cancel by next day midnight policy.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Can confirm I canceled the flight online (other posts mentioned the need to call in) and got my points back in minutes.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
CZ not MU, sorry I get them mixed up. That also means I'm in the wrong thread, apologies.

Hoping CZ is a better ride than my last MU ticket (which was $550 RT to be fair).

Good news! Booked a coach fare for 49k IND-NYC-CAN-DPS this morning, so I guess availability is there on some level.

Does Delta allow upgrades if availability changes later or does that require a redeposit? Do I have until midnight tomorrow to cancel it?
CZ used to be much better than MU, but the gap has narrowed quite a bit during the course of the past 3 years.
Old May 22, 2019, 9:36 pm

Programs: Delta PM
China Eastern

Originally Posted by wxman22
I have a J & I ticket LAX -PVG-SGN on 25 Oct 2018. Will I be able to enter my DL number at check-in?
I have actually managed to select my seats once, but alas, when I try to check, it won't let me see my seats. this is at Ticket Verification - China Eastern Airlines
Just so you know. This trip outbound in Oct, return in March 2019 was one of the best ever.
Everything was as advertised. In both directions, I had a first (outbound) or second ticket (return) on Delta and was able to check bags all the way thru both times with no fuss or muss.
In fact, coming back, SGN-PVG-LAX-SMF my bag was overweight so I took the garment bag out and checked it as my 3rd bag. )I did have to pick up to clear customs at LAX and then give them back).

The food in J is lacking, but everything else was top notch. Best of all, no stinking announcements in two languages about the seat belt sign which drives me crazy on Dl and KE.
Also, it was clear that eh FA' tried to minimize the galley noise.
Best sleep ever.

My preferred Business Class is MU; if in Economy, differently Korean Air.
Old May 22, 2019, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by wxman22
Best of all, no stinking announcements in two languages about the seat belt sign which drives me crazy on Dl and KE.
My last MU flight (PVG to JFK), the seat belt sign was on for the entire flight - lol.

MU wins the award for most (auto) ads before you can watch an movie from its IFE system - at least based on carriers I have flown.
Old May 23, 2019, 4:36 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by Repooc17
My last MU flight (PVG to JFK), the seat belt sign was on for the entire flight - lol.

MU wins the award for most (auto) ads before you can watch an movie from its IFE system - at least based on carriers I have flown.
I feel like car ownership over there must be a really high status thing, more so than here. I think there were five automobile ads plus a sixth (phone) ad. Was a bit ridiculous.

Thankfully the seatbelt sign was off for a lot of my JFK-PVG-JFK flights. However, the thing that bugs me the most is that they make announcements for every little bump/turbulence ,and EVERY SINGLE IFE turns on and stays on after the announcement. Those things are hella bright when the cabin in pitch black and everyone's asleep.
Old May 23, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: DL DM
The MU(Shanghai Airlines) J on their new 787 is really pretty, but a super tight fit if you're tall and trying to sleep. I'm 6'6 and have to get in the fetal position in order to fully recline.

Old May 23, 2019, 9:27 am

Not sure who would pay for first class as it's in the same cabin without separation and just features a larger suite with larger television.

Old May 23, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Originally Posted by bsagator
Not sure who would pay for first class as it's in the same cabin without separation and just features a larger suite with larger television.

As a relatively tall (6'4") frequent user of MU, I can state that the 773 J seats are quite comfortable. The A332 seats depend on the age of the EQ, but are generally OK as well. But, that seat 78 J seat looks tight - why the heck they mounted the control laterally like that is beyond me - it should be parallel - not perpendicular - to the seat. Glad ORD is going to be 773 for the foreseeable future.

As for F, the last couple of flights I have been on with them the entire section has been blacked out/empty - I like row 7 on the 773 and can see into the F cabin - and no takers at all it would appear on recent flights. Frankly, MU is going to have to upgrade the food/wine (a lot) to sell those IMHO.

The shared 2 F seat on the 773 looks kind of nice if travelling with the wife for snuggle class, but not really worth the costs - which is frequently 10x the cost for J!
Tomphot likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by CoMooter
The shared 2 F seat on the 773 looks kind of nice if travelling with the wife for snuggle class, but not really worth the costs - which is frequently 10x the cost for J!
I honestly don't know if there is an upper limit on what they can charge for F. Some people here really get off on the idea of taking a picture of their $30,000 airplane ticket simply to post it on Wechat.
Old May 23, 2019, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by CoMooter
As a relatively tall (6'4") frequent user of MU, I can state that the 773 J seats are quite comfortable. The A332 seats depend on the age of the EQ, but are generally OK as well. But, that seat 78 J seat looks tight - why the heck they mounted the control laterally like that is beyond me - it should be parallel - not perpendicular - to the seat. Glad ORD is going to be 773 for the foreseeable future.

As for F, the last couple of flights I have been on with them the entire section has been blacked out/empty - I like row 7 on the 773 and can see into the F cabin - and no takers at all it would appear on recent flights. Frankly, MU is going to have to upgrade the food/wine (a lot) to sell those IMHO.

I found the refurbished A330 to have the most leg room in J by far. Row 7 on the 773 I still had to bend my knees to sleep, but I prefer row 8 because you have multiple windows vs 1 on row 7. I've been on it 4 times this year, (LAX-PVG-LAX twice), and F has been empty once, while the other 3 times had occupants. The last time it looked like a family of 4 was all sitting up there. The three times I've flown on the 787, F has been empty everytime.
Old May 27, 2019, 7:18 am

Managed to fly on China Eastern's Boeing 787 Singapore to Shanghai just last week. The interior of the Business class cabin was really pretty. Our journey was an adventure though. The first flight MU566 was re-timed (delayed) by almost 9 hours and when we got to Shanghai, our onward connection to Xi'An, which already had been changed because of the earlier re-timing, was cancelled! Quite stressful.

I made a flight review video of the Singapore to Shanghai leg -
Old May 27, 2019, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by iluvcruising2
Managed to fly on China Eastern's Boeing 787 Singapore to Shanghai just last week. The interior of the Business class cabin was really pretty. Our journey was an adventure though. The first flight MU566 was re-timed (delayed) by almost 9 hours and when we got to Shanghai, our onward connection to Xi'An, which already had been changed because of the earlier re-timing, was cancelled! Quite stressful.
While I dislike Scoot, I probably would have flown them SIN-XIY because they have the only nonstop. If I wanted a better airline, I would go with CX via HKG or MU/SQ via KMG/CTU. HKG does have delay problems at times, but it is a much nicer airport than PVG. Meanwhile, KMG and CTU aren't on super busy air corridors.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:43 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Repooc17

Yes about the ads, but at least it lets you fast forward or start 2 minutes into whatever.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:43 pm

Had 4 flights on MU in the past couple weeks. Not much of a sample size, but here are my thoughts (in no particular order):
  • Food in J was not great, but edible. I enjoyed a couple of the meals. I don't love Chinese food, but thought the Chinese meals were better than the couple of western meals I sampled. Despite only 4 flights, I tasted a bunch of meal options as I was traveling with kids and attempted to order something they would eat plus something I wanted to try. No meal was bad, but not as good as typical US carrier international J and far below our SQ and TG sectors of the trip.
  • Special meals were not loaded on any sector, despite multiple requests.
  • Wines were passable, but not particularly good. Probably slightly better than domestic US F, but below US carrier J.
  • 1 beer available
  • Liquors were low quality
  • LAX-NKG (and return) equipment was either switched or was a bait and switch. A330 configuration was 6 across rather than the 4 across in the seat maps up until a couple days prior to departure. We were 2 adults and 2 kids under 10 y.o., so 2x2x2 ended up working fine for us.
  • Despite the configuration, seats were comfortable. There is no small foot well issue which was a plus for me.
  • It is oft reported that the crew smokes in the cockpit, but we did not detect smoke on any of the flights.
  • Cabin crew struggled a little with English, but tried hard and it wasn't really an issue. (e.g. Cabin was warm, so ordered a "cold beer". I received a glass of milk with ice! The FA and I got it straightened out and laughed about it.)
  • We thought the service in the air was quite good.
  • Had a flight in Y NKG-ICN, and it was fine. No problems whatsoever. Food was passable. Good FAs including at least 2 who spoke Chinese, Korean and English
  • Check in at LAX kind of sucked. Agents not very helpful or friendly. Not a J experience.
  • on departure, MU used a hardstand at LAX and the whole process was less than fair at best.
  • Transit at NKG (post BKK-NKG) is a little painful and time consuming. We have china visas and were told it was faster to go through immigration and come back through security rather than wait with all the other international transit passengers, so that is what we did. I think for a family of 4 with tired kids it was a bit faster, but had I been solo, it would have been much faster.
  • Car service to and from LAX that was provided by airline was very nice.
  • Amenity kit was not particularly good. I did like the slippers and the fact that they came in a bag that I was able to reuse for other shoes.
  • I was offered (and accepted) PJs on the return flight. They were comfortable enough and of a style that Kim Jung Un would like
  • Lounges used were KE-LAX; V7 First Class Lounge-NKG; Miracle Lounge-BKK. I think all were accessible with Priority Pass as well. none were great. BKK Miracle Lounge was probably the best of the bunch.
  • DL FF # kept dropping off the boarding passes. I tried to keep on it as I’ve heard this is a common problem with MU and with out the number on the BP, miles.

Last edited by El Boocho; Jul 24, 2019 at 10:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.