Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

China Eastern and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Eastern and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2012, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by eyestrain
Interesting. Like I said tried several times and every time I suggested the long sell and almost all agents said they could not unless there is availability....
Okay, I'll spill the rest of the "secret" (I've probably done so upthread anyway... I haven't seen this thread in a while): call a CTO, and figure out a way to not get transferred to Singapore. I won't elaborate any further because I don't want to risk bringing too much attention to a good thing.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Anyone have recent experience trying to use ExpertFlyer to find availability on MU?

I am showing multiple days with open D class seats departing from JFK-PVG on 3/21/2013 (3/19, 3/20). However, every single time I have called Delta (5 times now) they show zero availability that whole week on MU. One time I called and they said one seat was open, but every other call has been zip.

Is ExpertFlyer inaccurate reporting available award seats now on MU or is Delta just getting even more dismal when trying to book international award travel?
EF has frequently been reported to be inaccurate on MU. If you go to ceair.com and switch to English, you can check award inventory right from the revenue search. Under redeem bonus points, if there's a /, there's no award space, If you see an orange check mark, click it, and you'll see award amounts for whichever classes are available. (Unavailable classes will show /.) I don't know for sure that whatever MU makes available to Eastern Miles members can be redeemed by DL, but surely if there's no inventory to MU's own members, DL won't have any access. The dates you cite show no inventory on the MU site.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz FS, SPG Plt, HH Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
Okay, I'll spill the rest of the "secret" (I've probably done so upthread anyway... I haven't seen this thread in a while): call a CTO, and figure out a way to not get transferred to Singapore. I won't elaborate any further because I don't want to risk bringing too much attention to a good thing.
Will try and check this out. Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by mtkeller
EF has frequently been reported to be inaccurate on MU. If you go to ceair.com and switch to English, you can check award inventory right from the revenue search. Under redeem bonus points, if there's a /, there's no award space, If you see an orange check mark, click it, and you'll see award amounts for whichever classes are available. (Unavailable classes will show /.) I don't know for sure that whatever MU makes available to Eastern Miles members can be redeemed by DL, but surely if there's no inventory to MU's own members, DL won't have any access. The dates you cite show no inventory on the MU site.
Thanks for another tip. I wonder where EF is scraping their info from then. If MU's own site isn't showing any availability then it's clearly an error in whatever database EF is pulling from.

On a similar note, I thought I would share my resolution. I ended up finding award space on Korean Air. Happened to find a leg that worked schedule-wise: LAX - ICN - PVG -ICN - JFK. Now I just have to find a feeder flight to LAX from JFK which is easy enough.

I appreciate all the tips, and Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 23, 2012, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
For MU and CZ, manual sells still work wonders. The trick is finding an agent that is willing to do them (hint: avoid the call centers, both US and Singapore).
Originally Posted by keirnna
Look at my post a. It earlier in this read. EF is wrong.
Sadly true. I've had many issues with EF with MU. When EF first started reporting about the first 6 months worked great, but now I don't think it's accurate anymore.

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Good tips here. In the end, calling and having a manual sell is your best bet.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 4:43 pm

Just a quick confirmation. Delta charges YQ on MU redemptions, correct? For instance, JFK-PVG-JFK would be 70k miles and about $400 in taxes/fees and YQ?

EDIT: Yes, Delta does charge YQ for MU redemption. For some reason, I thought they didn't.

Last edited by eyestrain; Jan 24, 2013 at 4:55 pm Reason: Answering my own question
Old Jan 24, 2013, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Just a quick confirmation. Delta charges YQ on MU redemptions, correct? For instance, JFK-PVG-JFK would be 70k miles and about $400 in taxes/fees and YQ?

EDIT: Yes, Delta does charge YQ for MU redemption. For some reason, I thought they didn't.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...er-thread.html

Yes, MU charges YQ, a lot.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:21 pm

I see there isn't any CTO in SIN?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by HumbleBee
I see there isn't any CTO in SIN?
There is a CTO there, but more importantly that's where their call center is. Those people are very by the book.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Thanks--that thread is a gem! Thanks for sharing and compiling it!
Old May 23, 2013, 1:25 am

Programs: Skyteam: DL SM, One World, Star Alliance
Finding MU awards and multi-city

It's been helpful having this MU thread. Thank You. I need help finding Business YVR-DEL Sep 26 returning DSP-YVR Oct 15.

I'm planning a trip YVR-DEL, then I'll just buy a flight from DEL to DPS because I don't see a ST partner listed. Then returning from Bali (DSP-YVR) Oct 15 give or take a day on either side. I followed a suggestion to try the CEAIR.com site. I couldn't find multi-city only round trip. So I went with one way, but then saw only prices not award tickets. Under the Frequent Flyer menu, it required passport and registering as an MU member. Is there something else I should be doing?

I am following the best method? Is this the best place to gather information and then phone a DL agent with my preferences?

Paul
Old May 23, 2013, 1:48 am

Programs: Skyteam: DL SM, One World, Star Alliance
Where/who to call

Moondog,
I'm not quite following you as to where to call.

You said:

"For MU and CZ, manual sells still work wonders. The trick is finding an agent that is willing to do them (hint: avoid the call centers, both US and Singapore)."

So that means use a CTO.
What number do you phone to avoid them or what do you ask for instead?

You said "Call a City Ticket Office and ask to get transferred to Singapore."

"There is a CTO there [in SIN], but more importantly that's where their call center is. Those people are very by the book."

Is "very by the book" bad, since they do not offer to help with long sells, etc. In which case why would I call the CTO in SIN, if they are not going to help.

Sorry, but I am confused. What's the best place to call or to request to be transferred to?

Paul
Old May 23, 2013, 2:19 am

I wouldn't deal with anyone in SIN (call center or CTO). Beijing is my favorite CTO, but unless you manage to escape their phone bot, your call will end up in SIN anyway.

Originally Posted by pauldepape
Moondog,
I'm not quite following you as to where to call.

You said:

"For MU and CZ, manual sells still work wonders. The trick is finding an agent that is willing to do them (hint: avoid the call centers, both US and Singapore)."

So that means use a CTO.
What number do you phone to avoid them or what do you ask for instead?

You said "Call a City Ticket Office and ask to get transferred to Singapore."

"There is a CTO there [in SIN], but more importantly that's where their call center is. Those people are very by the book."

Is "very by the book" bad, since they do not offer to help with long sells, etc. In which case why would I call the CTO in SIN, if they are not going to help.

Sorry, but I am confused. What's the best place to call or to request to be transferred to?

Paul
Old Jun 22, 2013, 7:05 pm

Has anyone else been running into issues with the D/O cutover? I see no O space loaded into the system whatsoever.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 2:23 pm

I've booked two award tickets between the US and China on Delta metal in BusinessElite. The Plat line was also able to book first class tickets within China on Shanghai Airlines (FM) as part of these award tickets.

Has anyone else had experience with Delta awards on Shanghai Airlines? Based on other peoples experiences with different SkyTeam partners, I am very worried that the tickets are NOT booked or that Shanghai Airlines will cancel them as being reserved but never ticketed, or there will be some other issues....

I wanted to contact Shanghai Airlines directly but they are owned by Chine Eastern and I was directed to China Eastern's US website. That website gives two customer service numbers, one for their LA office and one for the NY office. I've tried both and just been on hold a LONG time before getting disconnected....
Old Aug 12, 2013, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Burj
I've booked two award tickets between the US and China on Delta metal in BusinessElite. The Plat line was also able to book first class tickets within China on Shanghai Airlines (FM) as part of these award tickets.

Has anyone else had experience with Delta awards on Shanghai Airlines? Based on other peoples experiences with different SkyTeam partners, I am very worried that the tickets are NOT booked or that Shanghai Airlines will cancel them as being reserved but never ticketed, or there will be some other issues....

I wanted to contact Shanghai Airlines directly but they are owned by Chine Eastern and I was directed to China Eastern's US website. That website gives two customer service numbers, one for their LA office and one for the NY office. I've tried both and just been on hold a LONG time before getting disconnected....
Why don't you call FM? They have their own phone number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.