Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

China Eastern and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Eastern and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2013, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by moondog
Why don't you call FM? They have their own phone number.
Do they? Do you know what it is?

When I googled Shanghai Airlines I got this website:

http://www.ceair.com/mu/main/sh/index.html

And when I select "English" under "World Wide Sites" I just get an error...
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:26 pm

Hi everyone, I booked a round trip for my family of 4. We have US passports. DL and MU are same alliance but don't think they are codeshare. Here is my itinerary.

DTW>PVG (DL) arrives 4PM
PVG>HKG (MU) departs 9:10PM

Layover time: 5hrs 10mins

Has anyone done this? I have three questions.

1/ are we ok with this this policy? since we are way under 72 hours.

2/ During transit, do I need to pick up bags in PVG and re-check bags? or will my luggage be checked through?

3/ On my return, HKG-PVG-DTW (MU then DL), do I go to China Eastern check in counter or Delta counter?

4/ I am Silver and with three non-status. Will MU let me extend baggage benefits to my family?

Thanks for your help. Any insights on transferring in China is helpful. I am starting to regret transferring in China...
Old Aug 20, 2013, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by heyming

Hi everyone, I booked a round trip for my family of 4. We have US passports. DL and MU are same alliance but don't think they are codeshare. Here is my itinerary.

DTW>PVG (DL) arrives 4PM
PVG>HKG (MU) departs 9:10PM

Layover time: 5hrs 10mins

Has anyone done this? I have three questions.

1/ are we ok with this this policy? since we are way under 72 hours.

2/ During transit, do I need to pick up bags in PVG and re-check bags? or will my luggage be checked through?

3/ On my return, HKG-PVG-DTW (MU then DL), do I go to China Eastern check in counter or Delta counter?

4/ I am Silver and with three non-status. Will MU let me extend baggage benefits to my family?

Thanks for your help. Any insights on transferring in China is helpful. I am starting to regret transferring in China...
Cross posting is a no-no. But, you have nothing to worry about with that 5 hour layover.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 5:36 am

Earning Miles on MU

Hi I'm new to the forum so apologies if this is not the correct thread.

I live in Shanghai and frequently travel on MU PVG-SIN due to rates. I'm a member of Skymiles and previously would collect discounted miles. I've noticed that MU has recently been listing Z fares, which do not accrue miles on Delta. The alternative is flying SQ but the ticket is a little extra, which might be worth it if the departure times fit my schedule. I fly this route coach about once a month so that's not enough for status on Star Alliance.

So the question is, does anyone know of a program that treats MU miles better? Is anyone else in the same situation?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Scottotoo

I live in Shanghai and frequently travel on MU PVG-SIN due to rates. I'm a member of Skymiles and previously would collect discounted miles. I've noticed that MU has recently been listing Z fares, which do not accrue miles on Delta. The alternative is flying SQ but the ticket is a little extra, which might be worth it if the departure times fit my schedule. I fly this route coach about once a month so that's not enough for status on Star Alliance.

So the question is, does anyone know of a program that treats MU miles better? Is anyone else in the same situation?
Asia Miles is kind of nice because they have lots of partners (sort of like AS in the US).
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Scottotoo

Why not credit SQ>Agean for *A Gold and continue to earn miles?
Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by keirnna
Why not credit SQ>Agean for *A Gold and continue to earn miles?
Asia Miles is kind of nice because they have lots of partners (sort of like AS in the US).
Thanks both for the thoughtful responses.

Asia Miles looks attractive for people living in HK, but it doesn't seem to offer anything more than my Skymiles since I already have status. While HKG is great, I'm one of those travelers who hates planes and airports so laying over for the quick weekend trip adds too much travel time.

I think Aegean is the way to go for me, when possible. SQ seems to offer deals that are fairly competitive, if a little more than MU. However, the extra comfort and rumors that flights are often not sold out makes the extra cost seem worth it.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: SkyTeam, OneWorld
MU award seats with Skymiles

Hi. We are flying next July/August. MU is most likely route given we need 3 biz class tickets at low skymiles level. Right now (Sept), their seating is not up to date according to Delta rep. They said they would likely open up seats in the near future. Two questions:

1-Does anyone know if there is a certain date in advance that MU releases seats (to Delta)?

2-How is the business class product from JFK>Shanghai (eventually to Vietnam but that is a short flight)?

Thank you in advance...
Old Sep 25, 2013, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by davidr
2-How is the business class product from JFK>Shanghai (eventually to Vietnam but that is a short flight)?
If it's still on the 340 at that point in time, it is pretty lousy. Why aren't you trying for AF or KE?
Old Sep 26, 2013, 4:31 am

Programs: SkyTeam, OneWorld
If it's still on the 340 at that point in time, it is pretty lousy. Why aren't you trying for AF or KE?
Air France treats the route like two flights so double the miles. KE is during blackout.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:10 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold
How can you see if there are award tickets on en.ceair.com? I have signed up for a MU number, but when I search for flights I only see pricing, no option for "use rewards" or anything like that.

Any help is much appreciated?
Old Oct 12, 2013, 5:47 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by tjhosea
How can you see if there are award tickets on en.ceair.com? I have signed up for a MU number, but when I search for flights I only see pricing, no option for "use rewards" or anything like that.

Any help is much appreciated?
It used to be there (didn't need to be an MU member, either), but it was removed when the ceair.com site design changed some ~9 months ago. Now it is no longer on the English or the Chinese MU site.

However, for the last few months airfrance.us has been showing MU flights (before it would only show CZ, but not MU). So, just use airfrance.us to search for MU flights. It may not show quite all, but at least it shows some/most.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mtkeller
EF has frequently been reported to be inaccurate on MU. If you go to ceair.com and switch to English, you can check award inventory right from the revenue search. Under redeem bonus points, if there's a /, there's no award space, If you see an orange check mark, click it, and you'll see award amounts for whichever classes are available. (Unavailable classes will show /.) I don't know for sure that whatever MU makes available to Eastern Miles members can be redeemed by DL, but surely if there's no inventory to MU's own members, DL won't have any access. The dates you cite show no inventory on the MU site.
Anyone have any recent experiences working with CE's website? On the en.ceair.com website I can search for paid trips but nothing shows up for regarding redeeming points and I can't seem to search for award trips. I even signed up for an account and logged in.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 5:05 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Anyone have any recent experiences working with CE's website? On the en.ceair.com website I can search for paid trips but nothing shows up for regarding redeeming points and I can't seem to search for award trips. I even signed up for an account and logged in.
The ability to see award flights was taken away from ceair.com a while ago (both English and Chinese versions).

airfrance.us I think used to show MU flights, but now it does so no more... so it seems that there is no real visibility into MU award flights now (who knows, may be MU is following Dullta's example to reduce visibility into their award and upgrade fares).
Old Dec 3, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: SQ
MU for FM availability?

Trying to burn some DL miles for a couple of SHA-JHG flights - there's a couple of direct flights on FM that would be 35k in F.

Any idea what is the best way to go about this as of now? Can obviously find the availability on CZ flights easily, but the connections aren't worth the redemption with Y tickets about $350/each.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.