Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

China Eastern and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Eastern and Delta Air Lines: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Looking at flying SEA to PEK next month. DL flight #'s for the same Delta operated metal price out DOUBLE MU for the exact same flight.

MQDs be damned?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by doglover
Looking at flying SEA to PEK next month. DL flight #'s for the same Delta operated metal price out DOUBLE MU for the exact same flight.

MQDs be damned?
You'll still get MQDs for MU marketed flights. It's a % of the miles flown for the flight that varies based on the paid fare class. I actually got more MQD booking a MU marketed ticket then I would if I had flown DL metal using a DL fare. With partners it always helps to check to see what you'll earn both ways.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 4:55 pm

It's Economy Z which appears to be a zero miles ticket. Is that their equivalent to Basic Economy that would prevent me from getting into Economy Comfort?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It's Economy Z which appears to be a zero miles ticket. Is that their equivalent to Basic Economy that would prevent me from getting into Economy Comfort?
Your DL status should get you into comfort; DL is pretty good about this. Unfortunately, stingy earning ratios are a way of life now; I'm often offered the buy up proposition to pay 2x in order to earn full miles, but always refrain because the miles simply aren't worth anything close to the upcharge.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Are you sure? Z should be MU business class, and I thought it was an award/upgrade class. Where are you looking the flights up at and for what dates? Is it Z class with a MU flight number, or Z class with another airline as the marketing carrier?

You can only get a DL BE class ticket booking on a DL fare. No other airline has fares that would book into DL E class.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:33 pm

It was thru Business Orbitz. It's entirely likely Orbitz botched the fare class. I passed on that fare.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 6:42 pm

It's worth noting the latest MU partner page does not list a Z at all.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...a-eastern.html
wxman22 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Resurrecting this thread to inquire about MU awards on DL.com. Is phantom award availability common? Trying to get a friend and his wife and kids to BKK via PVG in J, and DL.com is showing four seats on JFK-PVG and four seats on PVG-BKK, but when I try to combine into JFK-BKK, only coach appears. A call to the PM desk didn't do any good either...agent even told him that she couldn't (or wouldn't) search segment by segment.

Should I try to ticket JFK-PVG online and then have him call to add PVG-BKK? Anyone know if a long-sell is still an option with MU?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Mar 21, 2018, 4:00 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Deemus7
Resurrecting this thread to inquire about MU awards on DL.com. Is phantom award availability common? Trying to get a friend and his wife and kids to BKK via PVG in J, and DL.com is showing four seats on JFK-PVG and four seats on PVG-BKK, but when I try to combine into JFK-BKK, only coach appears. A call to the PM desk didn't do any good either...agent even told him that she couldn't (or wouldn't) search segment by segment.

Should I try to ticket JFK-PVG online and then have him call to add PVG-BKK? Anyone know if a long-sell is still an option with MU?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Phantom availability is very common with MU and SU. Phantom availability shows for connections (e.g. JFK-PVG-BKK). If you don't see the individual segments each available, then what you are seeing for the connection is 90%+ likely phantom and not really available.

Most agents either don't know how, have no access to, or simply refuse (for fear or reprimand and/or losing their job? not sure...) to do long-sell the last few years, as I think they are instructed to keep up with the possible award blocking in place and not to override it.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: Delta PM
I have a J & I ticket LAX -PVG-SGN on 25 Oct 2018. Will I be able to enter my DL number at check-in?
I have actually managed to select my seats once, but alas, when I try to check, it won't let me see my seats. this is at Ticket Verification - China Eastern Airlines
Old Oct 5, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: DL Platinum (ST+), JL JGC (ows), NH SFC (*AG)
Originally Posted by wxman22
I have a J & I ticket LAX -PVG-SGN on 25 Oct 2018. Will I be able to enter my DL number at check-in?
I have actually managed to select my seats once, but alas, when I try to check, it won't let me see my seats. this is at Ticket Verification - China Eastern Airlines
Just give them your DL number when checking in at the airport. Entering it online never sticks for me.
Old May 21, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
Been trying all night to book IND-NYC-CAN-DPS in Biz 85k for 6/21. Showed up 4-5 times on the website and App. Got all the way to payment (including selecting DL seats), put in CC, and then Bam, "availability has changed." Tried calling but somehow missed the call when they returned my call. Will have to try calling again tomorrow but of course, don't have much hope. Phantom of the Award Chart strikes again! If there's any success to report I will report it.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
Been trying all night to book IND-NYC-CAN-DPS in Biz 85k for 6/21. Showed up 4-5 times on the website and App. Got all the way to payment (including selecting DL seats), put in CC, and then Bam, "availability has changed." Tried calling but somehow missed the call when they returned my call. Will have to try calling again tomorrow but of course, don't have much hope. Phantom of the Award Chart strikes again! If there's any success to report I will report it.
Chinese carriers, not just MU, have a major problem with phantom availability. It's a problem even with revenue ticlets.
Old May 21, 2019, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ryandelmundo
I'm guessing you were trying to book CZ because they fly JFK-CAN, and MU doesn't.
flyerCO likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: AA, DL, AK, UN, CN
CZ not MU, sorry I get them mixed up. That also means I'm in the wrong thread, apologies.

Hoping CZ is a better ride than my last MU ticket (which was $550 RT to be fair).

Good news! Booked a coach fare for 49k IND-NYC-CAN-DPS this morning, so I guess availability is there on some level.

Does Delta allow upgrades if availability changes later or does that require a redeposit? Do I have until midnight tomorrow to cancel it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.