Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL's New Inflight Safety Video

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2008, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
I understand that most of the world calls them mobile but I didn't realize that digital mobile phones aren't "cellular". We could just call them full duplex radios.
UGH...o.k. I do NOT want to open up a huge can of worms...but TECHNICALLY "cellular" is now defined as a method of having a network composed of "cells" where each cell has a tower with a transmitter and receiver.

So by this definition then YES, current GSM and CDMA (both digital) phones are "cellular" phones...

But ORIGINALLY "cellular" was first implemented with ANALOG phone signals (called AMPS). So when digital was introduced that is when a distinction was made between "cell phones" (the older analong) and "mobile phones" the newer digital.

This distinction was followed in Europe because their introduction of digital (GSM) was wide spread and the switch over happend very quickly.

In the US we continued to have AMPS (analog) and two digital standards, the first being GSM (AT&T and T-mobile) and CDMA (Verizon and Sprint).

Americans might remember that when Sprint started their advertising explained that their "PCS" network was the first "All Digital built from the ground up network" trying to differentiate from the "AMPS/cellular" network.

So in the U.S. "PCS" = "Mobile" = NOT the old Analog/cellular

Where as in Europe "GSM" = "Mobile" = NOT the old Analog/cellular

In Europe "mobile" stuck, but in America people continued to call them all "cell" no matter if they were analog or digital...

WOW probably more info then anyone really cares about....

The best "airline" analogy I can make is how right now there doesn't seem to be agreement over the terms "flat bed" vs "lie flat" vs "angled flat" vs "near flat" etc etc type seats...because they mix two concepts....being "flat" and being "horizontal"
Old Feb 21, 2008, 10:34 pm
J-M
Suspended

Originally Posted by DukieDrew
So...what routes do Deltalina and ExitRowGirl fly? I might be SDCing for new reasons now...
From what I understand, the crew in uniform are inflight crew, but the "passengers" are non-flight DL employees. So I guess you can look for ExitRowGirl at a ticket counter near you ^

Originally Posted by Burj
4) Well I can't say enough THANK YOUs to cover this...honestly for people who notice (most likely international pax) it does make Delta seem more sophisticated/worldly
I honestly had no idea that there was a difference between cell and mobile. I don't use either term. I just call mine "my phone" because it is my only phone.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by J-M
I honestly had no idea that there was a difference between cell and mobile. I don't use either term. I just call mine "my phone" because it is my only phone.
Well it is really a language difference that is rooted in a technical/technology difference.

Sorta like how British English you say "hire a car" where as in American English you can only "hire" a person but you can "rent" an object.

So in American English you would say "rent a car" instead of "hire a car"

I've personally witnessed the confusion this has caused when a Brit will say to an American "We are going on holiday to California and hiring a car." and the American isn't sure if they mean they are RENTING a car that they are driving themselves OR if they are HIRING a car with a driver who will drive them around....

Bringing this back to DELTA's video...by using the term "mobile phone" which is the accepted term EVERYWHERE ELSE in the world, they do come across as a little more worldly/sophisticated.

Maybe Delta Freak can elobrate if this was their intention since in the OLD safety video they do make it a point of saying "cellular phone" not the shorter but more common (in America) "cell phone"
Old Feb 22, 2008, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by J-M
I just call mine "my phone" because it is my only phone.

As a total aside (I should really get to sleep!) this is a common and growing phenomenon, people who no longer have a land line but simply reply on their mobile phone(s).

Within the industry this is called "cutting the cord"....
Old Feb 22, 2008, 3:26 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Some other random observations:

1) At the beginning she says "MOBILE phones" should be off, not *cell* which is AWESOME because MOBILE is what everyone else in the world calls them and technically "cell" is short for "cellular" which was originally an old ANALOG technology...so really "mobile phone" is the better term. However because so many people (mis)use "cell phone" some how that is the norm in America
I like the term "mobile" too, although I should point out she refers to them as "mo-bil" phones, and that TATL they are often called "mo-bile."
Old Feb 22, 2008, 5:22 am

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by Task Force DL
LOL - The guy in the seatbelt demonstration part (the pax) looks like a pedophile.

TFD
hey, I know him and he isn't!
Old Feb 22, 2008, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
So by this definition then YES, current GSM and CDMA (both digital) phones are "cellular" phones...

In the US we continued to have AMPS (analog)
I guess I should start something in OMNI if I want to debate it. Since, "by definition" they are "cellular phones" it's hard to say people are wrong. I thought that AMPS was now dead?
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:29 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
Is it me, or is this new video MUCH longer than the previous one?
It's actually only about 30 seconds longer. It's just that you are actually WATCHING this one.

Last edited by DeltaCustomerInsights; Feb 23, 2008 at 2:32 am Reason: factual improvement
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:29 am

Programs: Delta, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by fairviewroad
Actually, I find this to be highly obnoxious. Most people don't smoke anyway, and most smokers don't violate the no-smoking rules on planes anyway, so this smarmy tone is condescending and unnecesary. I guess if the flight was full of teenagers it might make sense to use that kind of tone. But I don't think the typical business traveler or retiree appreciates being talked to like that.

I know you will probably tell me to "lighten up", and I probably should. But the whole trend towards cutesiness in corporate America is really tiresome.
Yep you're right... Lighten Up!

This video does a great job of getting the safety points across while putting a few little "items of interest" in as well. I dare say I think more people will pay attention now simply because it isn't a dull voiceover and it gives time for the FA's to give a complete and non-rushed safety check of the cabin.

While being cute I really think the little nuggets make the video watchable and if someone spots one I think they will continue to watch the video and take in the safety message.

Good Job Delta.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by iCorpRoadie
Also did you notice or know DeltaCustomerInsights is in there too!
Yep. I'm in there. But no one's mentioned that I'm hot... My friend in the exit row is getting all the attention.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:46 am

Hey DeltaCustomerInsights...

Are you guys laughing your butts off at us and our comments yet?
Old Feb 22, 2008, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by WesNSpace
Hey DeltaCustomerInsights...

Are you guys laughing your butts off at us and our comments yet?
I think the comments are great! I was just asked this morning by an SVP what people are saying...
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by DeltaCustomerInsights
I think the comments are great! I was just asked this morning by an SVP what people are saying...
Allow me to take a stab at that conversation...

SVP: Any reaction to the new safety video?
DCI: Well there have been some positive comments about "Red" aka Deltalina's lips and the girl that was seated near me. Also, they seem pleased about the correct terminology of mobile device, finger wags, twinkling teeth and overall production of the video. However, they have some issues with the possible late night use of the music and the incorrect use of a PA mic on the deck.

Overall sir/ma'am, they have way too much free time on their hands and all deserve lifetime platinum status for their hard work reviewing the video over and over and over or a free trip to the Road Warrior Class sometime this year.

Last edited by WesNSpace; Feb 22, 2008 at 10:03 am Reason: Added Giveback.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:48 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Delta Platinum, Alaska Gold, HH Gold,
long

That video is soooooooooooo long. People already don't pay attention but now they will have something to watch as they wait in long queues at beautiful, ATL.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:33 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Marriott Bonvoy
I think the fact that this thread has grown to six pages at this point is proof enough that the new safety video is good at doing what it was intended to do: take information that most flyers ignore and present it in a way that causes people to pay attention and interact with the video.

If the newest version was just another standard safety video, it would make it to YouTube probably but I don't think it would get this much attention.

I'm guessing that everything from "Red"'s lips to the smile sparkle to "Exit Row Girl" were designed to do what it obviously has done here, make people watch. And if that happens to save lives in an accident because people were listening, great. However, if people just fixate on those things and don't catch what the message is, then that's not so great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.