Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL's New Inflight Safety Video

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2008, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
What Delta planes have seat belts like at 1.26?

I like the all exits are "clearly marked"...it seems to have some kind of cadence to it. I hope kind kid isn't unconscious by the time that dad gets around to putting his oxygen mask on. What's the deal with the little ding and the brightening of the guys teeth with the seat cushion?
Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:09 pm

Programs: SkyMiles
It's not the same pilot...

Originally Posted by colpuck
same pilot from the old video, looks slimmer now.
The pilot in the opening scene is not the same pilot from the 2005 Safety Video. And the F/O at the end of video is clearly a new addition.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:11 pm

The volume discrepancy is a result of...

Originally Posted by coz
The important thing is the sound volume seems more consistent. I don't know what it is with the current video but the volume seems to jump up about half way through.
...the engine spooling up. The video usually starts at push-back when the engines are off. The volume is automatically set at one level for "engine-off" and at a higher volume for "engine-on".
Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:14 pm

738 with AVOD

Originally Posted by iCorpRoadie
Just flew today, they did the demo live, no video even though it was a 738 with TV's!
The 737-800 has been fitted with new single-chamber life vests. As a result, a manual safety demo is required since the the current safety video only shows the operation of the dual-chamber vest.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:18 pm

"Mobile" phones...

Nice catch on the "mobile" phone vs. "cell" phone. That always bothered me too. That's why it was changed.

There seems to be a lot of discussion around the pilot holding the mic. This was one of many "bits" you see throughout the video i.e. finger-wagging, tooth sparkle, etc. Most customers who are not as savvy as all of you aviation enthusiasts still think the pilot uses the mic when he's making a PA announcement. Additionally, the entire video was made to evoke the images people are accustomed to seeing onboard.

Originally Posted by Burj
Wait! I thought any good night club (gay or not) doesn't get really swinging until about 2 am...or is that your point? At midnight they are playing bad Delta Safety video music?

For the record I like the music and I LOVE this video!

The name "Deltalina" totally rocks and I'm going to use it for now on!

Some other random observations:

1) At the beginning she says "MOBILE phones" should be off, not *cell* which is AWESOME because MOBILE is what everyone else in the world calls them and technically "cell" is short for "cellular" which was originally an old ANALOG technology...so really "mobile phone" is the better term. However because so many people (mis)use "cell phone" some how that is the norm in America

2) The guy who they use for the oxygen mask...could REALLY use a comb! I mean really his hair is a mess, and he has a kid with him! Maybe they are imply that kids are such a handful that grooming is too much to expect from parents?

3) It *STILL* bothers me that the pilot in the beginning is holding the PA mic!
Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:19 pm

Virgin...

Originally Posted by tonypct
Not bad. But I like the Virgin America and Virgin Atlantic safety videos much more.
The Virgin videos are clever and well produced. DL actually contemplated doing an animated video but in the end we wanted to put a human face to Delta. That's why the F/A is speaking to the "audience" rather than a random voiceover.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by DeltaFreak
The 737-800 has been fitted with new single-chamber life vests. As a result, a manual safety demo is required since the the current safety video only shows the operation of the dual-chamber vest.
Then I hope they are holding classes for all 738 FAs on how to do the finger-wag.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:21 pm

2005 music...

Originally Posted by TTT
I like this one - but will miss the music from the 2006 version.
Really?....I mean, really? The music in the new music is modern, hip and I dare say "cool" .
Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:23 pm

Run time of the new video...

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
Is it me, or is this new video MUCH longer than the previous one?
is :31 seconds longer than the previous version. It seems longer because you're actually watching it and paying attention...
Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:27 pm

Oxygen mask guy

Just some background info...at the time, the O2 guy and his son had been sitting there for about 2 hours. Plus it was about 95 degrees onboard. There were also some issues getting the O2 masks to deploy on cue. So he was a bit sweaty and sticky by that time.

Wait! I thought any good night club (gay or not) doesn't get really swinging until about 2 am...or is that your point? At midnight they are playing bad Delta Safety video music?

For the record I like the music and I LOVE this video!

The name "Deltalina" totally rocks and I'm going to use it for now on!

Some other random observations:

2) The guy who they use for the oxygen mask...could REALLY use a comb! I mean really his hair is a mess, and he has a kid with him! Maybe they are imply that kids are such a handful that grooming is too much to expect from parents?

3) It *STILL* bothers me that the pilot in the beginning is holding the PA mic!
Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:38 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Really?....I mean, really? The music in the new music is modern, hip and I dare say "cool" .
I liked the old music! I do like how this video is very well timed to the beat. And the sound effects when the exits are displayed on the plane graphic and when the life rafts pop out are cool.

One thing I noticed is the lack of the use of "Delta". The only time it is verbally mentioned is when she says "A list of approved electronic devices can be found in your copy of Delta Sky Magazine located in..." Even the pilot in the beginning doesn't say thank you for flying Delta...Just thought that was interesting.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 5:41 pm
coz

Programs: DL GM
...the engine spooling up. The video usually starts at push-back when the engines are off. The volume is automatically set at one level for "engine-off" and at a higher volume for "engine-on".
I would suggest a third auto-level then:
  1. Engine Off
  2. Engine On
  3. Engine Idle

New video is fun, despite the few quirks.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 6:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM
How do you know her? Do you know how she ended up being selected? Did they seek her out and ask her, or was there a internal Delta contest, or were FA's asked to submit a picture and they picked from the submitted pictures/applications?

What is or real accent like, as I think I noted elsewhere in this forum, in the beginning of the video her southern accent is stronger...but it disappears as the video goes on...
All FA's were asked to audition for the parts. I know several that had auditioned and didn't make it and then those that did. She is super fun and has a great accent She was in the Coming Out of BK Video DL made for the employees too.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
is :31 seconds longer than the previous version. It seems longer because you're actually watching it and paying attention...
Still, 4:30 is just too long. The "clever" bits will distract from the important safety details. If airlines really wanted people to pay close attention, they would have live safety demonstrations on all flights. It's much harder to ignore a human standing in front of you than it is to ignore a video.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by rcherskov
I like how she wags here finger when she says "Smoking is NOT allowed!"
Actually, I find this to be highly obnoxious. Most people don't smoke anyway, and most smokers don't violate the no-smoking rules on planes anyway, so this smarmy tone is condescending and unnecesary. I guess if the flight was full of teenagers it might make sense to use that kind of tone. But I don't think the typical business traveler or retiree appreciates being talked to like that.

I know you will probably tell me to "lighten up", and I probably should. But the whole trend towards cutesiness in corporate America is really tiresome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.