Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Problems and Issues with SkyMiles Award Availability Calendar: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problems and Issues with SkyMiles Award Availability Calendar: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2010, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Thanks. That's my return flight (to SFO).
I just checked that if I select F/J then all the usual suspects show up and with half-empty seatmaps in Y, but when I select Y delta.com wants me to spend the night in AMS.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
I just selected economy class one way and that is what came up with a ton of options and seats available on every flight. Those are such busy travel days, everyone will be off work on that Monday traveling home.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Award calendar frustration

I'm sorry, I swear I did a search, but couldn't find a thread for this which I'm sure exists. Mod, please feel free to move.

I'm an infrequent DL flyer but am now in possession of a huge amount of DL miles due to the NW merger and am trying to use some. The award calendar told me that two seats were available in Medium to fly BOSDUB in December, so I went to book them. The system tried to charge me the peak price of 125K per.

I called and got through to tech support where the guy told me that the calendar was there to "assist" me and might not be accurate. I asked why it wasn't linked to real-time availability and he said that it wasn't possible. Why not? He didn't know but transferred me to Buster the supervisor.

I repeated the information to Buster, who also repeated that the calendar was just there to "assist" me. I told him that it wasn't really assisting me if it told me the wrong amount. Yes, he admitted, the calendar was sometimes wrong, but it was just there to assist me and could be wrong. I asked Buster why they didn't fix the calendar or at least make the wording more clear that "assist" means "could provide inaccurate information for the one task it was set up to fulfill." Buster, now talking to me as if I am the world's biggest moron, told me that they are trying to get the calendar removed. I asked why they didn't just get the calendar fixed instead of removing it. Buster informed me that it wasn't his job and IT wasn't taking care of it. Then, Buster and I parted ways.

As I said, I don't fly DL too often but have seen a ton of complaints about the program. Now I know why.

Mike
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:28 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mikeef
I'm sorry, I swear I did a search, but couldn't find a thread for this which I'm sure exists. . . .

As I said, I don't fly DL too often but have seen a ton of complaints about the program. Now I know why.

Mike
Don't get me wrong, I'm not getting on your case for not posting this to another related thread, as many here will tend to do, but I find it simply AMAZING that you couldn't find another thread about award calendar "stuff", as it's probably the #1 most compained about thing here in the DL forum! Maybe we're all so used to it and tired complaining about it that there aren't any RECENT threads on it!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL-DM, PC-PM
Quick answer to get the rewards calendar to show more accurately is to tick it forward one month and then back to the month you want. If you have any sort of status, call in to the line and tell them you are trying to book tickets and that you picked x flights for 25k miles, but when you get to the checkout page it ups it to 125k miles. YMMV on that call tho. Delta IT won't be any help in this situation as they are the ones who could fix it, but have not done it yet.

Although the quote below is something new that we haven't heard yet and is quite troubling (bolding mine).

<snip>

I repeated the information to Buster, who also repeated that the calendar was just there to "assist" me. I told him that it wasn't really assisting me if it told me the wrong amount. Yes, he admitted, the calendar was sometimes wrong, but it was just there to assist me and could be wrong. I asked Buster why they didn't fix the calendar or at least make the wording more clear that "assist" means "could provide inaccurate information for the one task it was set up to fulfill." Buster, now talking to me as if I am the world's biggest moron, told me that they are trying to get the calendar removed. I asked why they didn't just get the calendar fixed instead of removing it. Buster informed me that it wasn't his job and IT wasn't taking care of it. Then, Buster and I parted ways.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.182 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I'm sorry, I swear I did a search, but couldn't find a thread for this which I'm sure exists. Mod, please feel free to move.

I'm an infrequent DL flyer but am now in possession of a huge amount of DL miles due to the NW merger and am trying to use some. The award calendar told me that two seats were available in Medium to fly BOSDUB in December, so I went to book them. The system tried to charge me the peak price of 125K per.

I called and got through to tech support where the guy told me that the calendar was there to "assist" me and might not be accurate. I asked why it wasn't linked to real-time availability and he said that it wasn't possible. Why not? He didn't know but transferred me to Buster the supervisor.

Mike
Top of the Delta SkyMiles forum page is this thread - Delta.com Bug Reporting: The Official Master Thread, and IIRC there is another thread with"award calendar" in the thread title.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Join the club.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 2:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, SkyPesos peon
The Delta award calendar is there to "assist you" out of as many SkyMiles as possible, at the most inflated cost, at the worst schedule times, and with the maximum number of in-route connections. You have no right to a Delta redemption anyway, since you accumulated WorldPerks miles. It's customers like you who give SkyMiles a bad name by trying to redeem miles earned on a predecessor carrier, expecting to receive value, then complaining when Best in Class Delta tries to extort miles from you.

Always remember that the award calendar is not broken. It is working precisely as Delta designed it to work!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 2:18 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Italy98
. . . . there is another thread with"award calendar" in the thread title.
Only one? ? ?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by catdad
The Delta award calendar is there to "assist you" out of as many SkyMiles as possible, at the most inflated cost, at the worst schedule times, and with the maximum number of in-route connections. You have no right to a Delta redemption anyway, since you accumulated WorldPerks miles. It's customers like you who give SkyMiles a bad name by trying to redeem miles earned on a predecessor carrier, expecting to receive value, then complaining when Best in Class Delta tries to extort miles from you.

Always remember that the award calendar is not broken. It is working precisely as Delta designed it to work!
I vote this as best / funniest post of the day, but the day is young!!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 2:30 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Nearly two years into the merger it seems that a fix for Delta's massive IT shortcomings is simply beyond the capabilities of DL's in-house staff.

Perhaps the partnership with Air Nigeria could be expanded to include VK's assistance in this effort. Their website (http://www.myairnigeria.com/en/ng/homepage.shtml) seems to have at least the same level of functionality as DL's.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Sabai
Nearly two years into the merger it seems that a fix for Delta's massive IT shortcomings is simply beyond the capabilities of DL's in-house staff.

But how can you say that when the SkyMiles account summary page is MUCH prettier since yesterday!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by catdad
The Delta award calendar is there to "assist you" out of as many SkyMiles as possible, at the most inflated cost, at the worst schedule times, and with the maximum number of in-route connections. You have no right to a Delta redemption anyway, since you accumulated WorldPerks miles.....
Nice post. Had a good laugh ^^^
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by davetravels
But how can you say that when the SkyMiles account summary page is MUCH prettier since yesterday!
And the home page is so much snazzier.

Sort of like slapping a new coat of paint on a house that is about to collapse.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:18 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Clean your IT house, DL. If my company deployed the mess you do, we'd be out of business by now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.