Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum Connecting Time at DTW, per Expertflyer
Note: If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it counts as a domestic arrival, and the D-I or D-D times below apply.
DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes

D-I: 35 minutes (30 minutes if connecting to NRT)

I-D: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

I-I: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

Generic online and offline connections:
D-D: 45 minutes
D-I: 1 hour
I-D: 1 hour 30 minutes
I-I: 1 hour

For connections between DL and another carrier: 2 hours for D-D and D-I; 2 hours 30 minutes for I-D and I-I.

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2021, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RNRflyers
My current thought is we'll upgrade just this first leg to Comfort + so we will be close to the front and have bins for our carryons. It doesn't cost too much and would give us a better chance of getting off quickly.

I did try to change just this portion and that was a substantial cost increase. According to the wording on Delta, "Same-day Confirmed" has a fee of $75 but "Same-day Standby" is complimentary. What do you mean by "clear at the window"? Sorry, that may be common knowledge but I'm new here.
Clear at the window is a reference to Medallion status-based upgrades which have 5/3/1 day upgrade windows based on status. A Medallion is more likely to clear an upgrade at their window on lightly loaded flights than on heavily loaded ones. I would suggest watching the weather on day of flight and try going standby on earlier flight if it is looking bad. Also, you should check which gate the BDL flight departs from in concourse A. If it's at the ends, taking the tram will probably be faster unless you are a very brisk walker or want to run (and even then, you'll probably only beat it if has just left the station and you have to wait for the next one).
RNRflyers likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 11:16 am

I wouldn't worry about sitting near the front, people massively overestimate how long it takes to deboard. The last time I was in the very back of a plane (MD88), it took only 7 minutes from the "ding" until I stepped onto the jetbridge, and that's a much bigger plane than whatever you'll be on from GRR and I was literally in the last row (cleared SDS at the very last second).
RNRflyers likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
Originally Posted by vincewy
My flights would be DL5590 and DL2232 for May 2022 with only 37 min, hopefully it will be closer to 1 hour by March/April.

I'm not able to change online, asked to call CSR, given how hectic and the long queue, I'm just going to wait out until next March/April, I'll be flying May 2022, hoping the schedule changes later will make connection less risky.
I was able to change from DL5590-DL2232 (37 min) to DL5590-DL483 (2.5 hrs) online via the chat rather than phone. They confirmed no extra charge. I didn't push my luck with CMH-JFK-SEA DL5644-DL452 (flatbed on JFK-SEA segment), just more time and more risk of delay at JFK.

My ticket is actually CMH-SEA, SEA-KOA a few days later (Seattle stopover), fares have more than doubled at this point.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 6:41 am

My connection from international to domestic is 2 hours. Is that sufficient time?

My flight arrives from amsterdam, and the layover is about 2 hours until my next domestic leg. Will i make it in time for my next flight?

All on one ticket.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:28 am

is it sufficient? yes

will you make it? probably, but there are never any guarantees

it's on one ticket, which by definition means it meets the MCT. It also means you're protected if something goes wrong (which is always possible regardless of how long your layover is).
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:30 am

is there a very dire consequence if you misconnect? what are your options if you need to rebook? those are more important questions (because there are actually answers to them) than "will I make it" which can only be answered in probabalistic terms right now.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
is there a very dire consequence if you misconnect? what are your options if you need to rebook? those are more important questions (because there are actually answers to them) than "will I make it" which can only be answered in probabalistic terms right now.
​​​​​​How is immigration in DTW? I've connected several times in IAD and JFK, and lines were 2 hour long.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smartytravel
​​​​​​How is immigration in DTW? I've connected several times in IAD and JFK, and lines were 2 hour long.
Things generally don't get that bad at DTW. If you want better assurance of wait times, you should consider getting Global Entry (if you aren't already enrolled).
Old Jul 2, 2022, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by smartytravel
DTW is usually better than other airports in my experience when it comes to immigration. (I agree with above poster that applying for GE is a game changer for anyone who travels regularly.)

Note that the line for security after you clear custom on your way to your connecting flight can be pretty congested.
kxc262 and smartytravel like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 10:22 am

Understood. There's one more flight to my destination later.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FabCW
DTW is usually better than other airports in my experience when it comes to immigration. (I agree with above poster that applying for GE is a game changer for anyone who travels regularly.)

Note that the line for security after you clear custom on your way to your connecting flight can be pretty congested.
Note that DTW has multiple options for TSA if the security lanes at international arrivals are backed up. You can just exit international arrivals area (take exit with sign for Detroit local pax) and take elevator up to the top floor which is the ticketing/departures level (level 3) and has Clear and Pre-check lanes (and also a lane for Sky Priority passengers without Pre-check). There's also a dedicated TSA lane at the DTW Westin airport hotel which is rarely backed up (although it's hours are limited - not sure what current hours are). Hotel entrance is also at Level 3.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 2, 2022 at 1:40 pm
Old Jul 6, 2022, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
Note that DTW has multiple options for TSA if the security lanes at international arrivals are backed up. You can just exit international arrivals area (take exit with sign for Detroit local pax) and take elevator up to the top floor which is the ticketing/departures level (level 3) and has Clear and Pre-check lanes (and also a lane for Sky Priority passengers without Pre-check). There's also a dedicated TSA lane at the DTW Westin airport hotel which is rarely backed up (although it's hours are limited - not sure what current hours are). Hotel entrance is also at Level 3.
But once you drop off your luggage after customs, aren't we stuck at the international transfer security check point? I don't know we can go back out.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FabCW
But once you drop off your luggage after customs, aren't we stuck at the international transfer security check point? I don't know we can go back out.
There's nothing blocking you from using the Detroit local exit doors after re-checking your luggage. It's all in the same area (after customs/immigrations and before the lower-level TSA security lanes). You could also probably just take your luggage with you up to the check-in/ticketing level and re-check it there.
FabCW likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 10:06 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Flying ICN-DTW-LAN in J in a few days and DL decided to move my DTW-LAN an hour early so I now only have 40 minutes instead of 1 hour and 40 minutes. DL claims that I can make it, and just to make sure, I bought VIP select service. With this, will I make my flight? I have a feeling that they're going to email me the day before my flight to urge my to cancel and rebook. I don't have GE, unfortunately, so that might make things more tighter.

It's not the end of the world if I miss the DTW-LAN leg because the purpose of heading to LAN is to see my parents and spend time with them until Thanksgiving and can take the Michigan Flyer Bus. However, I like to avoid taking the Michigan Flyer bus from DTW to East Lansing because the route goes through downtown Ann Arbor, which can anywhere between an hour to two hours depending on the time of day and it's very inconvenient.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by physicsdude
Flying ICN-DTW-LAN in J in a few days and DL decided to move my DTW-LAN an hour early so I now only have 40 minutes instead of 1 hour and 40 minutes. DL claims that I can make it, and just to make sure, I bought VIP select service. With this, will I make my flight?
DTW is probably the best airport to make a connection like that and also the most useless for VIP Select. All I can say is, it’s a makable connection. Whether you actually make it or not depends on factors nobody can predict.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.