Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum Connecting Time at DTW, per Expertflyer
Note: If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it counts as a domestic arrival, and the D-I or D-D times below apply.
DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes

D-I: 35 minutes (30 minutes if connecting to NRT)

I-D: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

I-I: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

Generic online and offline connections:
D-D: 45 minutes
D-I: 1 hour
I-D: 1 hour 30 minutes
I-I: 1 hour

For connections between DL and another carrier: 2 hours for D-D and D-I; 2 hours 30 minutes for I-D and I-I.

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2022, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As noted in Wiki, MCT in this case would be 1H 20M. Sure, it's possible to make 40M connection (particularly if you don't have any checked luggage), but I wouldn't risk it (even with GE) if you aren't willing to accept a decent chance you'll be stuck with the Michigan Flyer option. With DTW-LAN down to 2x daily, the next flight option is going to be 11-13 hours later. Can't imagine any responsible agent claiming this connection is okay.
eric_o likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: oneworld Rusty Iron; Starwood Aluminum
Originally Posted by physicsdude
Flying ICN-DTW-LAN in J in a few days and DL decided to move my DTW-LAN an hour early so I now only have 40 minutes instead of 1 hour and 40 minutes. DL claims that I can make it, and just to make sure, I bought VIP select service. With this, will I make my flight?
How did this work out? Or are you still on the bus?
Old Nov 26, 2022, 5:12 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Originally Posted by elsenor
How did this work out? Or are you still on the bus?
Took the Michigan Flyer a few days ago to get to my parents' house for Thanksgiving. DL just cancelled the leg and the additional VIP select service I bought.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 6:03 am

Late January I'm flying AUH-FRA-DTW (final leg LH442) in J, ETA 2:25
And on a separate ticket DTW-CVG (DL4672) ETD 3:52. I'm hoping to be without a checked bag but could have one.
I have GE, Clear, and Pre.

Wiki says I should allow 2hrs from the non DL TATL but I was hoping to avoid the potential for a 7hr layover at DTW. Of course it depends on the LH flight being semi on time, but how narrow are my chances?
From what I've read here, customs shouldn't be too bad and I have options to attempt to quickly re-check if needed and get through security [and if it matters am in pretty good shape].

Should I see if I can be booked standby for the DL 9:15pm ns?

Last edited by elsenor; Dec 27, 2022 at 6:03 am Reason: spacing
Old Dec 27, 2022, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Late January I'm flying AUH-FRA-DTW (final leg LH442) in J, ETA 2:25
And on a separate ticket DTW-CVG (DL4672) ETD 3:52. I'm hoping to be without a checked bag but could have one.
I have GE, Clear, and Pre.

Wiki says I should allow 2hrs from the non DL TATL but I was hoping to avoid the potential for a 7hr layover at DTW. Of course it depends on the LH flight being semi on time, but how narrow are my chances?
From what I've read here, customs shouldn't be too bad and I have options to attempt to quickly re-check if needed and get through security [and if it matters am in pretty good shape].

Should I see if I can be booked standby for the DL 9:15pm ns?
Book the earlier DL flight. If there's a delay on LH you can use SDC to change to other flight. If you book F you can SDC without regard to fare class. (There is $75 fee for DL GOLD or higher status) Economy fares require same fare class. Comfort Plus can also like F fares, SDC w/o regard to fare class. Can be done in app easily most times.
elsenor likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 6:19 am
Original Member

Realize that there are two entirely separated terminals at DTW, and you're arriving into the N terminal and departing from the South (Delta) terminal.

I would be extraordinarily skeptical as you need to both collect and re-check luggage and wait for a shuttle between the two terminals (and there is minimal connection traffic between the two), so they don't come around particularly often. As you're below even the posted connection time within a terminal, I'd say your chances are nil. To avoid the long layover to get to CVG, remember that DAY, SDF, LEX, CMH and IND are all within 2 hours of CVG.
elsenor likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 6:20 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Book the earlier DL flight. If there's a delay on LH you can use SDC to change to other flight. If you book F you can SDC without regard to fare class. (There is $75 fee for DL GOLD or higher status) Economy fares require same fare class. Comfort Plus can also like F fares, SDC w/o regard to fare class. Can be done in app easily most times.
I would go the other way, book the longer connection to be sure, and try to SDC/standby as soon as you are confident you can make it airside again sooner.
elsenor and WillBarrett_68 like this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 8:04 am

Flight has already been booked. Good to know about the SDC. Are there any limitations if I upgrade (upfare?) my Y fare to F in the app now? Would hate my upgraded F seat to operate differently than had I originally booked in F...
Originally Posted by jamiel
Realize that there are two entirely separated terminals at DTW, and you're arriving into the N terminal and departing from the South (Delta) terminal.

I would be extraordinarily skeptical as you need to both collect and re-check luggage and wait for a shuttle between the two terminals (and there is minimal connection traffic between the two), so they don't come around particularly often. As you're below even the posted connection time within a terminal, I'd say your chances are nil. To avoid the long layover to get to CVG, remember that DAY, SDF, LEX, CMH and IND are all within 2 hours of CVG.
Would your thoughts change if I was only carrying on? [I need to confirm w/ LH but their carryon policy usually allows for 2 carryons and 1 personal in J; IF that's the case, I will 100% NOT have a checked bag]. I did not realize they weren't connected by walkway (I've only been in Mcnamera). Looks like DTW website says they come every 10min "allegedly" but I know how that can actually work practice.
I wasn't even thinking about our other closeby airports... great idea and reminder. Definitely adds some flexibility.
Originally Posted by Zorak
I would go the other way, book the longer connection to be sure, and try to SDC/standby as soon as you are confident you can make it airside again sooner.
I'm already booked on the earlier, but that does seem the safer of plans. I think it might be tricky either way because I'd potentially only know at FRA and possibly while on the plane.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DTW immigration/ customs is usually very quick. If you have GE or at least are a US citizen, I would not think twice about 1.5hr connection. If you must check bag on DL (only 1 carry on allowed) it must be done 30 minutes prior to departure.

As for updating to F. Since it's a one segment reservation, the offer to upgrade will be an upfare. This means will be treated as an F passenger. Its treated as a seat assignment fee when you don't upgrade all segments.
elsenor likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 9:27 am

DTW immigration/ customs is usually very quick. If you have GE or at least are a US citizen, I would not think twice about 1.5hr connection. If you must check bag on DL (only 1 carry on allowed) it must be done 30 minutes prior to departure.

As for updating to F. Since it's a one segment reservation, the offer to upgrade will be an upfare. This means will be treated as an F passenger. Its treated as a seat assignment fee when you don't upgrade all segments.
Good to know. I'm a US citizen w/ GE.

Technically it's RT and I was thinking of upgrading both outbound/inbound to F anyway for the free checked bag (I'll at least need it for the outbound), potential need for priority line on inbound, etc. So both segments upgraded to F = upfare?
Old Dec 27, 2022, 9:43 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I'm already booked on the earlier, but that does seem the safer of plans. I think it might be tricky either way because I'd potentially only know at FRA and possibly while on the plane.
FWIW there's no change fees, so you could price out what it would cost (whether Y or F) to change your existing booking to the later flight and see.

DTW-CVG is such a short flight that if you don't mind getting a random middle seat, the book-later,show-up-early-and-standby strategy would work pretty well. I made a 20-minute I-D connection in SEA this way once

Anyway I've never transferred between terminals at DTW, so defer to others like flyerCO on how makeable this is.
elsenor likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As far as shuttle service, the website says they run approx every 10 minutes -- https://www.metroairport.com/to-from...uttle-services
I haven't taken them post-Covid, but took them a few times prior to Covid and they were generally pretty reliable. They used to run passenger vans (which would sometimes get full) and only picked up inside the Blue Deck parking garage many years ago. But they upgraded to larger shuttles for terminal-to-terminal transfers and added a dedicated pick-up/drop-off area outside the North Terminal which greatly improved reliability and transfer experience. If you are cutting it close and next shuttle isn't showing until awhile (there's a time display for next shuttle), you could consider grabbing a cab.
elsenor likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 27, 2022 at 10:03 am
Old Dec 27, 2022, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Good to know. I'm a US citizen w/ GE.

Technically it's RT and I was thinking of upgrading both outbound/inbound to F anyway for the free checked bag (I'll at least need it for the outbound), potential need for priority line on inbound, etc. So both segments upgraded to F = upfare?
No, just all segments in the one direction. I thought you were buying a OW ticket so had tailored answer to that.
elsenor likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2022, 10:54 am

No, just all segments in the one direction. I thought you were buying a OW ticket so had tailored answer to that.
Understood and much appreciated. I try to keep my questions on here as short and straightforward as possible, but the drawback is finding out something tangentially related and that relies on info not included originally
Old Dec 28, 2022, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
35-minute connection at DTW: doable?

I figure the answer to this question is "probably not," but figured I'd ask the experts.

Flying into DTW from Madison, WI (MSN), flying back out to NYC. I'm 99% certain my flight out is the last of the night to the NY area. Should I just expect an overnight at DTW? (EDIT: This is early next year, not today - I'm asking just to be prepared for likely difficulties.)

I normally wouldn't consider such a short connection time, but honestly - the fare was astoundingly cheap, and I don't really care if I'm late to work the next day.

Assuming I do miss the flight for non-weather-related reasons (say, delayed takeoff in Madison due to bureaucracy or whatever), any chance DL will put me up for the night? Or would they possibly hold the NYC flight for a bit to accommodate me?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Last edited by M60_to_LGA; Dec 28, 2022 at 3:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.