Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum Connecting Time at DTW, per Expertflyer
Note: If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it counts as a domestic arrival, and the D-I or D-D times below apply.
DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes

D-I: 35 minutes (30 minutes if connecting to NRT)

I-D: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

I-I: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

Generic online and offline connections:
D-D: 45 minutes
D-I: 1 hour
I-D: 1 hour 30 minutes
I-I: 1 hour

For connections between DL and another carrier: 2 hours for D-D and D-I; 2 hours 30 minutes for I-D and I-I.

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2021, 5:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DTW is one of easiest airports to transit CBP. You'll have no issue with 2 hours.
Mollaka likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mollaka
yes, it's the 4th of January I hope it'll be okay!
There's two later DTW-MCO flights that day (6:40PM and 9:00PM), in addition to a number of connecting flight options through ATL (there are 4PM, 6PM, and 7:30PM flights to ATL that can connect). You should be fine even if you happen to miss your connection.
Mollaka likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 8:19 am

Hey Everyone, first time poster looking for some advice (or peace of mind)

Late January '22 flight with Delta
CMH -> DTW
DTW -> HND (Haneda)
Only 35 minutes to transfer at DTW.
I went ahead and booked it figuring everything would be fine but my wife is a nervous wreck thinking it's not enough.
My other option is going CMH -> ATL ATL->HND with a 2 hour layover at ATL.
I checked Delta and it looks like if I miss that connection I'm out of luck for an entire day.
If I miss the connection (because of a delay) is Delta known to book people on flights with other carriers?

Am I being too risky with the 35 minutes? Should I just swallow my pride and accept that my wife knows better than me and switch it for the ATL leg?
Old Oct 20, 2021, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The problem with 35 minutes connection at DTW in January is weather. Any delay and you miss flight. DL will reroute on DL or DL partners. This may mean KE, AF/KL or AM.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 9:06 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Nanashi
Hey Everyone, first time poster looking for some advice (or peace of mind)

Late January '22 flight with Delta
CMH -> DTW
DTW -> HND (Haneda)
Only 35 minutes to transfer at DTW.
I went ahead and booked it figuring everything would be fine but my wife is a nervous wreck thinking it's not enough.
My other option is going CMH -> ATL ATL->HND with a 2 hour layover at ATL.
I checked Delta and it looks like if I miss that connection I'm out of luck for an entire day.
If I miss the connection (because of a delay) is Delta known to book people on flights with other carriers?

Am I being too risky with the 35 minutes? Should I just swallow my pride and accept that my wife knows better than me and switch it for the ATL leg?
Even in good weather months, I would never take a 35 minute connection to a once a day international flight. A 20 minute delay on the inbound flight is all it would take to ruin the itinerary. I'd take the 2 hour connection through ATL instead.
beachmouse likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What day is flight? DTW-HND is supposed to go from 3x weekly to 4x in January, but I wouldn't be surprised if they change that and maintain 3x weekly schedule depending on how open borders are.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 9:10 am

You've all talked some sense into me. Currently on the phone with Delta to switch for the Atlanta transfer. After mulling it over I was also concerned about the weather causing potential issues, Late january in Ohio/Michigan can definitely bring ice! Looks like Detroit wouldn't have another direct for 2 days so in a "worst case scenario" my gamble of trying to save 1.5 hours could cost me 2 days.

I'll go let my wife know that everyone on the internet agrees she's smarter than me . Thanks for all the feedback!
Old Oct 20, 2021, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Nanashi
You've all talked some sense into me. Currently on the phone with Delta to switch for the Atlanta transfer. After mulling it over I was also concerned about the weather causing potential issues, Late january in Ohio/Michigan can definitely bring ice! Looks like Detroit wouldn't have another direct for 2 days so in a "worst case scenario" my gamble of trying to save 1.5 hours could cost me 2 days.

I'll go let my wife know that everyone on the internet agrees she's smarter than me . Thanks for all the feedback!
If this were in summer my answer would have been different. However 35 minutes in winter is a no-go unless purposefully trying to misconnect.
Old Nov 7, 2021, 10:09 pm

Programs: TK E+, WY, Radisson R
I also ran across this issue, schedule change, CMH-DTW-SEA (flying F so sitting in the second row), now the connection time is only 37 min, will DL let me change something with more connection time in either DTW or SEA? Keep in mind that the fare has almost doubled since I booked, will they ask me to pay the fare difference?
Old Nov 7, 2021, 10:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
if CMH-DTW isn’t mainline service, you’re likely to arrive into the B gates; combined with having to wait for any pink-tagged carry-on bags, this adds ~10 minutes to your transit time

it certainly can’t hurt to ask DL if they can accommodate you on a different flight because you’re not comfortable with this 37 minutes, but I don’t think they’re obligated to do anything unless published MCT at DTW is 40 minutes
Old Nov 8, 2021, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by vincewy
I also ran across this issue, schedule change, CMH-DTW-SEA (flying F so sitting in the second row), now the connection time is only 37 min, will DL let me change something with more connection time in either DTW or SEA? Keep in mind that the fare has almost doubled since I booked, will they ask me to pay the fare difference?
Is the online function giving you the ability to change flights? I've had the website allow me to change flight for free (no collected fare difference) even for relatively minor schedule changes.

That said, if the website isn't, I would recommend calling. Simply explain to the agent that you are uncomfortable with this tight of a connection and ask to be put on different flights with a longer, more comfortable layover. They should also allow you to change your routing to a connection via ATL or MSP (or even JFK, which may have an option with lie-flats), as DL, at least in the past IME, has been very flexible with this.

What I will recommend is if you have to call, determine what flights you want ahead of time, then call, and then feed those flights to the agent. Much easier for them to then work and process when you provide them the flight details you want to be switched to.
vincewy likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
if CMH-DTW isn’t mainline service, you’re likely to arrive into the B gates; combined with having to wait for any pink-tagged carry-on bags, this adds ~10 minutes to your transit time

it certainly can’t hurt to ask DL if they can accommodate you on a different flight because you’re not comfortable with this 37 minutes, but I don’t think they’re obligated to do anything unless published MCT at DTW is 40 minutes
It's depends on the regional aircraft (CMH-DTW is mix of CR9 and E170/E175). While the CR9's have been using B/C gates, the E170/175's are exclusively using A gates from what I see. It looks like poster is on DL5755 7:55PM flight in March or later schedule which is an E175 connecting to DL2260. DL5590 2:15PM flight (also E175) to DL2232 to SEA has more comfortable connection at 52 minutes. Anything that far out is likely to see schedule tweaks again anyway.
vincewy likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
It's depends on the regional aircraft (CMH-DTW is mix of CR9 and E170/E175). While the CR9's have been using B/C gates, the E170/175's are exclusively using A gates from what I see. It looks like poster is on DL5755 7:55PM flight in March or later schedule which is an E175 connecting to DL2260. DL5590 2:15PM flight (also E175) to DL2232 to SEA has more comfortable connection at 52 minutes. Anything that far out is likely to see schedule tweaks again anyway.
My flights would be DL5590 and DL2232 for May 2022 with only 37 min, hopefully it will be closer to 1 hour by March/April.

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Is the online function giving you the ability to change flights? I've had the website allow me to change flight for free (no collected fare difference) even for relatively minor schedule changes.

That said, if the website isn't, I would recommend calling. Simply explain to the agent that you are uncomfortable with this tight of a connection and ask to be put on different flights with a longer, more comfortable layover. They should also allow you to change your routing to a connection via ATL or MSP (or even JFK, which may have an option with lie-flats), as DL, at least in the past IME, has been very flexible with this.

What I will recommend is if you have to call, determine what flights you want ahead of time, then call, and then feed those flights to the agent. Much easier for them to then work and process when you provide them the flight details you want to be switched to.
I'm not able to change online, asked to call CSR, given how hectic and the long queue, I'm just going to wait out until next March/April, I'll be flying May 2022, hoping the schedule changes later will make connection less risky.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by vincewy
My flights would be DL5590 and DL2232 for May 2022 with only 37 min, hopefully it will be closer to 1 hour by March/April.

I'm not able to change online, asked to call CSR, given how hectic and the long queue, I'm just going to wait out until next March/April, I'll be flying May 2022, hoping the schedule changes later will make connection less risky.
By CSR do you mean Customer Service Rep or Chase Sapphire Reserve, as in, you booked this ticket via the Chase Travel Portal?

If the latter (you booked through Chase), you'll have to contact Chase. If the former, even if there is a wait, are you not being given an option for a call-back? While there are almost certainly going to be schedule changes, things like seat assignments only become more limited as departure date gets closer. If your schedule allows, it could be worth asking if you can be rebooked on CMH-JFK-SEA and getting JFK-SEA on aircraft with lie-flats since you're already in the premium cabin.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 1:24 pm

CSR - customer service rep.

I'll definitely call DL and see what my options are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.