Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum Connecting Time at DTW, per Expertflyer
Note: If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it counts as a domestic arrival, and the D-I or D-D times below apply.
DL-DL connections:
D-D: 30 minutes

D-I: 35 minutes (30 minutes if connecting to NRT)

I-D: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

I-I: 1 hour 20 minutes (45 minutes if coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour if coming from a Canadian airport without preclearance.)

Generic online and offline connections:
D-D: 45 minutes
D-I: 1 hour
I-D: 1 hour 30 minutes
I-I: 1 hour

For connections between DL and another carrier: 2 hours for D-D and D-I; 2 hours 30 minutes for I-D and I-I.

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Detroit (DTW): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Question for the DTW flyers: Has the shuttle service in the McNamara terminal been restarted? The last couple of times I was through there, it was down for repairs.

TIA for the answer.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by monitor
Question for the DTW flyers: Has the shuttle service in the McNamara terminal been restarted? The last couple of times I was through there, it was down for repairs.

TIA for the answer.
You mean the tram? It's been back online for a month now.
monitor and SoroSuub1 like this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
I’m thinking of trying to do SEA-DTW-BTV DL 2291 to DL 5385 next Spring which gives us a half hour connection? Any thoughts or advice? I would usually be okay with it if traveling alone but will be traveling with my wife (who is used to running with me) but also with an infant (who I guess I could carry and run) DL 2291 seems to usually arrive early. Any thoughts or advice?
Old Sep 15, 2019, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Melodsal
I’m thinking of trying to do SEA-DTW-BTV DL 2291 to DL 5385 next Spring which gives us a half hour connection? Any thoughts or advice? I would usually be okay with it if traveling alone but will be traveling with my wife (who is used to running with me) but also with an infant (who I guess I could carry and run) DL 2291 seems to usually arrive early. Any thoughts or advice?
The main issue is what concourse DL5385 departs from. Looking at current BTV flights, is a mix of A, B, and C. If it's A, will be doable, but tight, B/C I'm not so sure with infant.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The main issue is what concourse DL5385 departs from. Looking at current BTV flights, is a mix of A, B, and C. If it's A, will be doable, but tight, B/C I'm not so sure with infant.
Thanks for your input!
Old Sep 18, 2019, 3:06 pm
ECB

Would you book this or look for something else? Listed as a 31 min layover. Travel on 9/22.

SEA - DTW 6:15am to 1:24pm
DTW - PIT 1:54pm to 3:02pm

I have to be in PIT by 4:00 so it’s my only Delta option. I could do Alaska if I had to but most of my travel is on Delta.
Old Sep 18, 2019, 3:22 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by ECB
Would you book this or look for something else? Listed as a 31 min layover. Travel on 9/22.

I have to be in PIT by 4:00 so it’s my only Delta option. I could do Alaska if I had to but most of my travel is on Delta.
DTW is certainly an airport where you can make a 30-minute connection, but if your "have to" is a "*have* to" and you want to book DL, I'd go with one of the red-eye options the night before.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 12:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ECB

In a situation like this I would advise just taking the nonstop. If you have to be somewhere then gambling on a short connection, especially when there are no alternates, is not worth the benefits of status.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 12:38 pm
ECB

Originally Posted by Zorak
DTW is certainly an airport where you can make a 30-minute connection, but if your "have to" is a "*have* to" and you want to book DL, I'd go with one of the red-eye options the night before.
Originally Posted by CMK10
In a situation like this I would advise just taking the nonstop. If you have to be somewhere then gambling on a short connection, especially when there are no alternates, is not worth the benefits of status.
Thanks. I ended up taking the AS flight.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Hi, I have an I to D. 2 of us, both with GE and checked bags, Connection time is 1:55.Are we safe?
Old Oct 16, 2019, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by iplaybass
Hi, I have an I to D. 2 of us, both with GE and checked bags, Connection time is 1:55.Are we safe?
Plenty. You could be an hour late and still be good.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:14 am

absolutely
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Yes. Three of us did this last month, two of the people didn't have GE, and we still had a lot of time to spare.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:43 am

I booked a flight for our family in april 2020 from Amsterdam to Orlando through Detroit. I had a2.5 hours layover in Detroit but now Delta has changed the times. I'm left with 1hour and 58minutes. I contacted them and they said it was enough as officially you only need 1.5 hours.
We need to clear immigration and take bags from one belt to another. We are travelling with 2 kids. It are both delta airlines flights.
I contacted them and they offered to rebook to the later flight going from Detroit to Orlando. We would then have a 4.5 hour layover.
I would be inclined to go with this offer BUT there is the time difference and travelling with 2 kids when it the middle of the night on their clock is not all that easy either.
Would 1hour and 58minutes be enough in Detroit? We are european so we don't have GE.
Our seats on the plane are not towards the front of the plane (row 25) so we won't be off the plane quickly.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Stick with your current flights. All Delta flights in Detroit arrive and depart from the same terminal and the connection is pretty straightforward. If you miss your flight, Delta will just put you on the next flight anyway. And on the possibility there aren't enough open seats on the next flight, they will likely be able to find a connecting option to get you there the same day as they have many flights to MCO.
flyerCO likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.