Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Los Angeles (LAX): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2013, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Delta-Delta Minimum Connecting Times at LAX
(Note the below times apply only if both flights are DL-marketed; the MCTs may be different for flights marketed by other airlines)

Domestic - Domestic: 40 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour.
Domestic - International: 45 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT, then the MCT is 1 hour, unless you're flying ATL-LAX-PPT or JFK-LAX-PPT, in which case MCT is 45 minutes even if connecting from T2/T3 to TBIT.
International - Domestic: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exception:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - domestic connection times above apply.
International - International: 1 hour 30 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it is considered a domestic arrival for MCT purposes and the domestic - international connection times above apply.
  • If your connection is from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 2 hours for an international-international connection.
  • If you're arriving from SYD and not connecting from TBIT to TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection. (If you're arriving from SYD and the connection is TBIT to TBIT, the 2 hour MCT in the bullet point above applies.)
  • If you're on one of the following flight routings, and the first flight arrives into TBIT, the MCT is 1 hour, 50 minutes for an international-international connection:
    • CUN-LAX-BNE
    • CUN-LAX-MEL
    • CUN-LAX-SJO
    • CUN-LAX-SYD
    • PVR-LAX-HND
    • HND-LAX-LHR
(These MCTs are accurate as of August 27, 2023.)

Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Los Angeles (LAX): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2024, 12:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, HH Gold
thanks pt360 and flyerCO . International is with BA - can they tag across tickets for non-Sky Team?
Old Mar 8, 2024, 2:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by porky73
thanks pt360 and flyerCO . International is with BA - can they tag across tickets for non-Sky Team?
While not technically within policy as written, DL will generally to any airline they interline bags with.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 6:05 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
While not technically within policy as written, DL will generally to any airline they interline bags with.
On a related note: where can one find interline information? I was trying to answer a similar question for someone else, and couldn't find where DL has published their interline agreements or interline baggage information for through-checking. (In my case, the person was doing AA -> DL, so it was a question of whether the itinerary was one a single ticket or separate tickets. But that made me curious about what DL does, and I couldn't find it.)
Old Mar 8, 2024, 6:13 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by chipbennett
On a related note: where can one find interline information?
I'm sure there are other sources as well, but -- Expert Flyer has it under "Travel Information"
flyerCO and chipbennett like this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
I'm sure there are other sources as well, but -- Expert Flyer has it under "Travel Information"
This is where I go. Note bag and eticket interline are separate agreements.
chipbennett likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 6:58 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium, LTP)
Originally Posted by Zorak
Thank you!
Old Mar 13, 2024, 7:44 am

Programs: DM/3MM
I’ve been told by agents at LAS that they are not allowed to interline a bag through LAX, even on a Skyteam carrier. This has happened to me multiple times, last time on Air France. This would be an itinerary on DL to LAX, connecting to Skyteam carrier. I had to get my bag at LAX and recheck at TBIT. I have a similar situation in a few days and am curious what will happen.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I’ve been told by agents at LAS that they are not allowed to interline a bag through LAX, even on a Skyteam carrier. This has happened to me multiple times, last time on Air France. This would be an itinerary on DL to LAX, connecting to Skyteam carrier. I had to get my bag at LAX and recheck at TBIT. I have a similar situation in a few days and am curious what will happen.
DL policy specifically allows for AF/KL. Get a redcoat.

Ive done this at LAS before connecting to AY to HEL. Thus know for AF/KL this is most definitely not true. Only issue is you do need meet MCT for bags to be tagged through.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 11:14 am

Programs: Fying Blue Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Silver Elite, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I had a connection last October at LAX from LAS (DL) to AMS (KLM), I did not need to recheck.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 8:57 am

Programs: DM/3MM
DL policy specifically allows for AF/KL. Get a redcoat.

Ive done this at LAS before connecting to AY to HEL. Thus know for AF/KL this is most definitely not true. Only issue is you do need meet MCT for bags to be tagged through.
Getting a redcoat is a good idea. I’ll soon be doing this via LAX on VS. Last year I was flying LAS-LAX-CDG-MRU [with LAX-MRU on AF), and once again was told “LAX won’t allow us to check this through”. And then I had the added benefit of, when I got bag at LAX, the luggage lock being broken off by DL baggage handlers
Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:36 am

Hi there- do you think 2hrs is enough time between domestic (T1) to a 1pm JAL international flight (TB)? Separate tickets. Not checking in luggage, just carrying on. I think I read that I can now walk from T1 to TB without having to exit and go through security again and that takes about 15minutes? Appreciate your input as always!

Last edited by zeo219; Apr 1, 2024 at 10:37 am
Old Apr 1, 2024, 10:58 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by zeo219
Hi there- do you think 2hrs is enough time between domestic (T1) to a 1pm JAL international flight (TB)? Separate tickets. Not checking in luggage, just carrying on. I think I read that I can now walk from T1 to TB without having to exit and go through security again and that takes about 15minutes? Appreciate your input as always!
This is a Delta thread. You're coming off SWA. The big question is whether you're able to check in online and obtain a boarding pass ahead of time. JAL check in counters close 1 hour ahead of departure.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 12:41 pm

Ay, I'm sorry! Just saw the heading, but didn't see that it was specifically for Delta. I will ask in the JAL thread.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by zeo219
Ay, I'm sorry! Just saw the heading, but didn't see that it was specifically for Delta. I will ask in the JAL thread.
It should be plenty of time. You can goto straight to the gate or do OLCI. No need to goto checkin counters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.