Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Significant points at which to start in this discussion:

Print Wikipost

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2008, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Originally Posted by BDG8R
I am in a bad situation. I did my two mileage runs so far and got one more for tomorrow. I have 44446 MQM now and flying NW tomorrow from TPA-SFO-TPA. Problem is, NW is showing TPA-SFO as TPA-MSP-SFO with two segments, but same flight number (even though two different seat configs and gate numbers at MSP). And DL is seeing it as TPA-SFO. SFO-TPA is shown as SFO-DTW-TPA for both systems. Result is I get 5455 MQM for TPA-SFO-DTW-TPA instead of 5957 MQM as I expected initially, and get stuck at 49900 MQM for the year, instead of 50235 MQM.

Customer Service:
NW: See it as two segments, ask DL
DL: One segment, see what NW says
NW: Can't do anything. You can try to change ticket for TPA-ATL-SFO for $160 (Already spent $600 on MRs this year and broke)
DL: We did soft landing for people before, can't gurantee.

My flight is 2:05PM tomorrow. What do I do?
Do a Fly Now which is kind of like an SDC but on NW. However, for the new flights, make sure you have two different flight numbers for your first and second segments. Since you just need 100 MQMs, any connection should work.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:00 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
You should be able to see your stand by and FlyNow options starting 24 hours prior to departure. At the most it's going to cost you $25 to change the flights to something that will be counted as 2 separate segments.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:39 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Avis First
"There are no alternative flight options available at this time.
Please continue checking in for your confirmed flight.
You may return later to check if alternative flights are available at that time."

Not cool at all. I'll probably have to go to Airport and beg the GAs.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 10:49 pm

Both NW and DL require segments to have different flight numbers to earn mileage credit for both. Otherwise, you get the non-stop mileage between the start and end points. Sorry, but them's the rules. Given that the two flights have the same number, neither a DL nor an NW agent should be leading you to believe that you should earn TPA-MSP-SFO miles rather than TPA-SFO miles.

NW (see Rule 1 at http://www.nwa.com/worldperks/program/memguide/):
Mileage accrual is based on the nonstop mileage between your origin and destination for each segment of the trip. A segment is defined as all travel under a single flight number. On connecting flights that require a change of plane and flight number, credit is given for each segment of the trip.

DL (http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...sp#calculation):
# On nonstop and direct flights, mileage credited will be calculated based upon the distance from origin to final destination, regardless of the number of stops.
# On connecting flights that require a change of plane and flight number, mileage credited will be calculated based upon the distance from origin to destination for each segment of the trip.
Old Dec 15, 2008, 11:01 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Avis First
Both NW and DL CSRs are pretty clear that I'll get TPA-SFO instead of TPA-MSP-SFO. It's actually the reservations that's showing something different.

Date: Tuesday, December 16
Flight: NW 435
Departs: Tampa-Int'l, FL (TPA) at 2:05PM
Arrives: Minneapolis/St. Paul-Int'l, MN (MSP) at 4:28PM
Class of Service: Economy Class (K) Seat: XX
Flight Duration: 3 hours 23 minutes Approximate Miles: 1,308
Meal Service: Snacks Aircraft: Boeing 757-200
Note: Operated by Northwest Airlines
Note: Check in with Northwest Airlines. 45 minute check in required in Tampa
Content is provided solely by Frommers.com and the opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Northwest Airlines.
Date: Tuesday, December 16
Flight: NW 435
Departs: Minneapolis/St. Paul-Int'l, MN (MSP) at 5:40PM
Arrives: San Francisco-Int'l, CA (SFO) at 7:46PM
Class of Service: Economy Class (K) Seat: XX
Flight Duration: 4 hours 6 minutes Approximate Miles: 1,586
Meal Service: Snacks Aircraft: Boeing 757-200
Note: Operated by Northwest Airlines
Note: Check in with Northwest Airlines. 45 minute check in required in Tampa
Old Dec 15, 2008, 11:55 pm

Both NW and DL CSRs are pretty clear that I'll get TPA-SFO instead of TPA-MSP-SFO. It's actually the reservations that's showing something different.
Well, you always have to read the fine print. Even though your itin is suggesting 2,894 miles earned between the two flights, it clearly shows that both "flights" are #435. Under the posted-on-the-web rules of both NW and DL, that means you get 'straght-line' TPA-SFO miles. My guess is when you make a reservation, the website doesn't bother to check and see if segments have the same flight number or not, so you don't get a warning that your accrued mileage will be different than what's suggested.

I'm not trying to be a jerk. My guess is that everyone on this board either learned this lesson the hard way (like you are right now) or was lucky enough to hear about it on FT before the situation hit us. However, this little quirk is definitely featured in the rules of both NW and DL's FF programs, so unless you can change one of your legs to a flight with a different number, I don't think there's much you can do to earn the TPA-MSP-SFO miles, no matter how deceptive the information on the reservation seems.

Another reason to avoid flights with the same number is that you can't get a UG unless space is available on both flights. So, even if the UG bucket is wide open on your TPA-MSP flight, if there's no UG availability on the MSP-SFO leg, you won't get the TPA-MSP UG.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:22 am

Programs: DL PM, GE
i suggest renting a car at Avis or other participating stations for 2 days, that gives you 200 miles more.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:48 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by clarence5ybr

Another reason to avoid flights with the same number is that you can't get a UG unless space is available on both flights. So, even if the UG bucket is wide open on your TPA-MSP flight, if there's no UG availability on the MSP-SFO leg, you won't get the TPA-MSP UG.
That's actually a DL-only issue. For whatever reason, the NW IT is configured so that you can get the upgrade on one of the legs.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by gplates
i suggest renting a car at Avis or other participating stations for 2 days, that gives you 200 miles more.
does Avis have a current mqm promo?
Old Dec 16, 2008, 5:57 am

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by katone
does Avis have a current mqm promo?
No, Avis does not have an MQM promo. This is just another example of someone not knowing the difference between SkyMiles and MQMs. The intentions are good but not informed.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 6:13 am

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
FWIW, this year I had a connection under a single flight number post as two separate segments on NW. So it is possible that the system still splits it up despite being under a single number. YMMV, and it is more likely it will post as 1 segment.

I'd go in early and try to stand by. Maybe you can even route through DTW and add a few more miles to be sure. Good luck.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 6:14 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Here's hoping you were able to talk your way on to the 7:31 a.m.! ^

I'd be a little reluctant to put my faith in having a (cough cough) flat tire on my way to TPA and hoping I would get rebooked on to the ATL connecting flight.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 7:06 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
NW: Can't do anything. You can try to change ticket for TPA-ATL-SFO for $160 (Already spent $600 on MRs this year and broke)
Why are you spending $600 on MRs if you're broke??
Old Dec 16, 2008, 8:11 am

Programs: AA plat, SPG gold, HH gold, UA Premier
Help! Need 272 miles before year end to make Gold

Any deals (flights, CC promos, etc.) to get these last few miles? Flying out of PIT. Thanks.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 8:40 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
fly to anywhere, that'll do it

Since you are flying out of PIT your options aren't that great for skyteam, what is it worth to ya?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.