Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Significant points at which to start in this discussion:

Print Wikipost

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:04 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by moibm
I have another question which I can’t seem to find an answer for. Let’s say I book a ticket from MSP-ATL, total miles 1810, cost $159, which will fulfill my requirement. What if I don’t fly, do I still get those miles since I booked and bought the ticket? Or do I actually have to physically fly in order to get the miles.

Clarification would be greatly appreciated.
You gotta fly to get the miles.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:09 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

I have another question which I can’t seem to find an answer for. Let’s say I book a ticket from MSP-ATL, total miles 1810, cost $159, which will fulfill my requirement. What if I don’t fly, do I still get those miles since I booked and bought the ticket? Or do I actually have to physically fly in order to get the miles.

Clarification would be greatly appreciated.
Originally Posted by Tomphot
You would need to fly to get the miles.
Originally Posted by james318
You gotta fly to get the miles.
I do not believe anyone has mentioned this yet, but you need to physically fly in order to earn the SkyMiles for that flight.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:15 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
btw - moibm
Welcome to the forum - I hope you stick around.
In the future, to enable people to help you better, it helps to have a little more info listed under your forum name.
If you go to the MyFlyerTalk tab, then My Profile - Edit your details - under Location, if you add where you live, your programs etc, people can make more assumptions when they answer your questions.
You'll find that this is a great community with a lot of folks willing to help.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:17 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I do not believe anyone has mentioned this yet, but you need to physically fly in order to earn the SkyMiles for that flight.
Oops - guess I'm physically challenged
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:21 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

You would need to fly to get the miles.
Oops - guess I'm physically challenged
Hmm...

...I suppose I did wing it when I first posted that...
Old Dec 13, 2010, 6:21 pm

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
You don't have where you live in your profile, but you might even consider a one way flight to the closest place, and someone to drive you home or take a train/bus....

500MQM for the flight
Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:56 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
least expensive

Fly an award ticket and get credit for MQMs after a rebook in Y for delay.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:01 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
So the only option left for me is to donate $750 and get 7500 MQM’s, but that sounds expensive.
You can also buy 50k Amex for $1250 and get 25k MQMs and 75k DL miles, as Evan! listed under the various active offers.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:20 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles | HHoners
btw - moibm
Welcome to the forum - I hope you stick around.
In the future, to enable people to help you better, it helps to have a little more info listed under your forum name.
If you go to the MyFlyerTalk tab, then My Profile - Edit your details - under Location, if you add where you live, your programs etc, people can make more assumptions when they answer your questions.
You'll find that this is a great community with a lot of folks willing to help.
Added profile details. Thanks for all posts; I am really enjoying and getting addicted to earning miles. So for a quick 1088 MQM’s I was thinking for hoping on a round trip flight MSP-ATL, earning 1800 MQM. Any suggestions on how I can make this into a mileage run covering more miles for the same price. I need a real time example so I can start designing my own runs.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:27 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles | HHoners
Originally Posted by ffI
You can also buy 50k Amex for $1250 and get 25k MQMs and 75k DL miles, as Evan! listed under the various active offers.
As I recall you cannot buy miles. When you transfer 50k points from a Amex rewards cards to delta sky miles account, you get 50% more miles, so another 25k miles and 25k MQM’s. In my situation the Amex card I have all my point on is not a rewards card so I cannot transfer those points into sky miles.
Anyhow, I just need 1088 point to qualify for silver medallion since I am going to get 5000 MQM’s for upgrading to Amex Delta Platinum.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 9:27 am

MR or rollover?

Hi everyone.
I've been following this thread for a few months but I'm still confused about what is the best thing to do: My son and I are currently GM and we each have 24,562MQMs. We fly out of CGK(Jakarta). What I'm unsure about is if it's possible to leave the MQMs to roll over. Will we lose the MQMs if our status falls below Silver? We won't be using Delta until June for a RT flight to DAY. If the MQMs do roll over without retaining status, would the Silver kick in after our arrival in DAY (roughly 10K), giving us the 25% mileage bonus on the return leg? We still have time for a MR to KUL this year. We'd probably have to use KLM since I don't think Malaysian Airlines miles convert to MQMs. Any advice to an infrequent flyer newbie? Thanks!
Old Dec 15, 2010, 9:39 am

Programs: DL KM
Welcome to FT!

MQM's are accrued on a calendar year basis. So if you don't attain Silver status this year with 25k MQM, you start over at 0 (zero) on Jan 1, 2011. Your June '11 flight to DAY would only post to any 2011 activity.

I believe you have to have status in order to roll over MQM's. So if you didn't obtain 25K by Dec 31st, you would lose all of those 24,562 MQM.

You could do the MR before Dec 31, or if you're in a generous mood and have a DL Amex, you could make a nice donation to one of their charities and pick up 2500 or 5000 MQM depending on how much you donate.

Originally Posted by balizzz
Hi everyone.
I've been following this thread for a few months but I'm still confused about what is the best thing to do: My son and I are currently GM and we each have 24,562MQMs. We fly out of CGK(Jakarta). What I'm unsure about is if it's possible to leave the MQMs to roll over. Will we lose the MQMs if our status falls below Silver? We won't be using Delta until June for a RT flight to DAY. If the MQMs do roll over without retaining status, would the Silver kick in after our arrival in DAY (roughly 10K), giving us the 25% mileage bonus on the return leg? We still have time for a MR to KUL this year. We'd probably have to use KLM since I don't think Malaysian Airlines miles convert to MQMs. Any advice to an infrequent flyer newbie? Thanks!
Old Dec 15, 2010, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL ♦M MM|HH♦|Marr Slvr|CO UA AA US|Pri Cub Plat|SPG|Avis 1st|Htz 5*
Originally Posted by balizzz
Hi everyone.
You travel together I take it. Or is it coincidence that you both have the same MQM balance? As has been stated, you will lose your 24K+ MQMs on Jan 1.

You must have Silver status from 2009 if you are worried about your status falling below Silver. You won't re-qualify if you don't get those extra ~450 MQMs each. But your current Silver status will be good until Feb 28, 2011.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 8:52 am

What tool do you use to find which flights are cheap from OMA or LNK?
Old Dec 16, 2010, 9:41 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by scobro123
What tool do you use to find which flights are cheap from OMA or LNK?
The people on the mileage run threads on this board are very helpful:

DEALS: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/

DISCUSSIONS: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...iscussion-627/

Last year I needed some miles and was given some great ideas and ultimately purchased a ticket someone emailed me about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.