Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Significant points at which to start in this discussion:

Print Wikipost

A Challenge: The Least-Expensive Way to Get The Most Medallion Qualification Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2005, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Hilton Diamond, Avis Preferred
Yeah, I hear DL is pretty stingy with their status these days.

If I would have been at 24,200 MQMs in Dec., I probably would have made a short trip somewhere.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
I think as posted by someone else before here, the notion of thresholds should be examined.. if there is a threshold for SM at 25K MQMs, then one would expect someone to come as close as possible, and more likely to cross it.

If you are 800 MQMs short of SM, you're about 1 rountrip LUT flight (in the southeast anyway) short of your goal. You would be asking DL to make an exception for that. Someone else might write in saying, "I only have 15,000 MQMs this year and you're denying me SM status!" I'm sure DL is constantly getting letters like this. If you were at 24,975 or something like that I would see the SGB exception on a case by case basis. Similarly, our people in uniform once got an exception which extended their status if they could prove they were called up and couldn't fly/earn qualification miles.

They have to take a stand somewhere and enforce the rules they set for the program, else why have them? I wish you could get the status, but you have to look at it from the DL perspective too..
Old Feb 23, 2005, 5:43 pm

Look at DL's current weekend specials and take a weekend away with your wife. DL is always offering el-cheapo web fares, and whilst they are coach seats, most flights are short, cheap and will give your wife the MQMs she needs.

For example, DL routinely offers cheap one way fares from PNS-ATL for about $65 each way.. anywhere DL competes with low cost carriers (IE airtran) you can find some el-cheapo fares to put her over the edge.

Since you appear to be ATL based, check out the link below to DL's website:

Delta Specials from Atlanta (ATL)

Last edited by heckler; Feb 23, 2005 at 5:46 pm
Old Feb 23, 2005, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott PP, Avis Something or other
Came up short..

It's not just DL. A few years ago I was using AA exclusively, made PL a couple of years in a row, then spent most of a year at sea. Came up about 700 miles short for Gold on AA. Wrote them a letter asking for an exception and they came back with a very nice letter explaining that if they did it for me they would probably have to do it for everyone. I understood that and let it drop. It's just good business.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 6:50 pm

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
I guess it is like grades in school. SOMEWHERE you have to have a cutoff point. Everyone used to try to convince the teachers to give them bonus points to push them over the edge to the next higher grade, or argue the answer to one question which would change the grade.

My understanding is that they will grant you an exception for FO if you are 500 miles or less short of 25,000, 1000 miles or less for GM, and 1500 miles or less for PM.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 6:54 pm

Location: Florida - Delta Charter DM/3.3MM; Lifetime SPG Plat; HH Gold;
I am betting that Delta will grant her FO status.

Keep us posted.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 6:57 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I hate to say it--but I do think that DL is being reasonable. Where does one draw the line? If one is serious about going to the next level then do some research and go for it. If not, understand the consequences.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 7:04 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
I think DL does need to draw the line somewhere. Well, Whedrick, you at least tried. Better luck next time
Next time if you are on my flight and have a K+ fare, I'll upgrade you. Just approach me and ask Of course you may have a hard time recognizing me, but I am the one with the black leather laptop case (hmmm too many of those you say? )
Old Feb 23, 2005, 7:09 pm

Oh.. Also note that if you have a few days left you might still be able to scoop those 800 MQMs you need to go into SM status. See my reply at the following thread about DL's fare specials from/to Atlanta

Delta Fare Specials To/From Atlanta (ATL)
Old Feb 23, 2005, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Originally Posted by heckler
Oh.. Also note that if you have a few days left you might still be able to scoop those 800 MQMs you need to go into SM status. See my reply at the following thread about DL's fare specials from/to Atlanta

Delta Fare Specials To/From Atlanta (ATL)
This isn't correct. You would have had to earn the miles from Jan 1, 2004 - Dec 31, 2004 for the status year of March 1, 2005 - Feb 28, 2006.

Of course if you earn 25k miles this month, your status would be silver starting March 1, 2005.
Old Feb 23, 2005, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by heckler
Look at DL's current weekend specials and take a weekend away with your wife. DL is always offering el-cheapo web fares, and whilst they are coach seats, most flights are short, cheap and will give your wife the MQMs she needs.

For example, DL routinely offers cheap one way fares from PNS-ATL for about $65 each way.. anywhere DL competes with low cost carriers (IE airtran) you can find some el-cheapo fares to put her over the edge.

Since you appear to be ATL based, check out the link below to DL's website:

Delta Specials from Atlanta (ATL)
Uh, no. The MQM calendar re-started as of January 1 -- so flying now would not solve the OP's problem.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 3:29 am

My mistake.. qualification is of course from January to December each calendar year.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 11:53 am

Programs: DL, AA
Did she have any flights rerouted by Delta during the year, which might have reduced her miles? I seem to recall that some people have been able to get credit for the original itenerary, especially when things are this close.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 12:04 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
Originally Posted by Smyrnaflyer
Actually, I do track them. But I decided that it wasn't worth the hassle to make a MR around Christmas, when the kids and grandkids were home. Plus I could use the threshold bonus if I had to. Hey, I'm the one who books award travel to Hawaii 331 days in advance!
If it wasn't worth the hassle, then Silver Medallion status must not be worth it. It was your choice not to meet the requirements for Silver Medallion status.
Old Feb 24, 2005, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by RunawayNFly
I am betting that Delta will grant her FO status.

Keep us posted.
I'm betting they don't. A couple of years ago, I was a few hundred miles shy of GM. I planned a mileage run in December, but the flight got cancelled because of weather--two weekends in a row. My pleas for an exception fell on deaf ears.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.