Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If your inbound flight is on a 330 or 767, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for a domestic-international connection.
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:37 am

Connection time in ATL

Hi hope you can help me as i need to book my flight home from Atlanta on the 27th December i leave Atlanta at 20.40 on a BA flight to London but i am coming from Fort Lauderdale and there is a delta flight at 15.05 arriving at 17.05 giving me 3hrs and 35mins to collect luggage and check in with BA or a 16.05 arriving at 18.05 so 2hrs and 35mins. Traveling business on both sectors so shouldnt have to deal with huge queues at checkin, what would you advise?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Either should work, but if you really want to collect your luggage in ATL, then re-check it with BA, I'd take the earlier flight from FLL. But why not check your luggage all the way through from FLL?

If you take the later FLL departure and are not dealing with luggage in ATL, the connection time is more than sufficient, assuming the FLL flight arrives on time.

Personally, I'd allow extra time just in case. I would not want to misconnect and have to wait another day for the next international flight.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:53 am

Will i be able to check luggage all the way through? i know AA will do it for a BA connection but i didnt know Delta would do that!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:56 am

And when you say assuming the Delta flight is on time!! is there something i should know?? not used delta before so not sure what level of efficiency to expect!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:57 am

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
I don't know for certain, but I think so. You should check with both airlines.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:45 am

BA said no but Delta said yes!! so i guess i have a 50 50 chance!! thanks for your replies i really appreciate the help
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:12 am

Short Connection in ATL to international flght - enough time?

Hi - i have about 45 minutes from the time my plane is scheduled to arrive (domestic US, into ATL) to connect to an international flight to Nassau, all on DL. Is 45 minutes a sufficient amount of time to connect please?

Will i have to clear security, etc or can i just go from one gate to another gate - such as with UA in LAX...? And do the domestic and international flights leave from the same area/terminal?

Thanks so much in advance!
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:17 am

45 minutes is cutting it a bit close, but should be doable if you can get a seat near the front on your inbound flight. You will not need to reclear security, though it is likely that you will need to take the underground train from your arrival concourse to concourse E.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 9:30 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Actually NAS is just as likely to go out of T concourse (even A or B) so you many not need to make the trek out to E. Check the gates before you depart and, of course remember that could change & check again on arrival @ ATL. Just so you know how fast to run. Good luck.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:31 am

The last two days the MD-88's to Nassau have left from T
Nassau has U.S. Customs facility so in all likelihood that flight will leave from T or B (generally you do not see the MD-88's leaving from A)
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:43 am

Dear international traveler

Just an FYI....NAS can depart from T, A, B, , D or E concourse and as far as the MD88 it can depart from T, A, B, D, or E concourse. Most likely departure concourses are A or B.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 10:58 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
I would never recommend less than 90 minutes for connections in ATL. If your flights are on time, then 45 minutes is enough. But for ATL, assuming that ANY flight will arrive on time is iffy. ATL is notorious for delays for just about anything.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond / Delta Plat
What about coming BACK into the country through customs in Atlanta? I have a schedule change and I really don't want to change my return flight.... but i'd have 75 minutes to connect from Montego Bay Jamaica to a Delta connection flight home. It'll be on a Saturday evening. Any thoughts? I think we could probably make it...
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Well since the departure to NAS is more of a 'international-lite' trip to the caribbean, they usually follow normal domestic boarding and start at 30 min before departure.

Regarding the return from jamacia... there is no US customs clearance in jamacia so you have to go through it in at ATL. So, depending how many other flights are in when you arrive it could be pretty tight. Sat evening helps, but you still may be running.

Last edited by rylan; Oct 1, 2010 at 2:00 pm Reason: Updated info
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I would not try the return because the odds of making it I'd put at 50/50 or so, so my choice would be to allow an extra 30 min or so to improve the odds. If 50/50 is good enough for you, go ahead. It's not as though you'll not have alternatives even if you miss your connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.