Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Navigating the ATL: Despite its size, ATL has a very functional layout that makes transfers quite straightforward. The airside complex is shaped like a rib cage, with the ribs (the concourses) branching off from the spine (the underground plane train)
  • There is one common airside area for all carriers and all departures both domestic and international
  • You do NOT need to re-clear security when making a domestic to domestic or domestic to international connection (international-domestic and international-international are the usual border fuss)
  • The concourses are names T (for terminal) A B C D E F. TABCD are usually short and medium haul gates; E and F are usually long haul/international. The plane train connects all concourses.
  • If your flight documents say 'North Terminal' or South Terminal', ignore that while connecting. That refers to land side check-in desks, and you won't see any references to those while on the air side of the airport.
  • If you wish to stretch your legs, a pedestrian tunnel runs parallel to the plane train from the T to E terminals. There is an additional pedestrian tunnel between E and F unconnected to the other tunnel that requires going aboveground at E and poking around to find it.
  • If you do not have club access, the E and F concourse areas tend to be quieter and less crowded places to wait
Effective JAN 2, 2020: ATL will be smoke free indoors with all smoking rooms closed and banned in the bars and restaurants that previously allowed it.

Minimum Connect Time in ATL if connecting from a Delta flight to a Delta flight, per ExpertFlyer:

Domestic flight - domestic flight: 35 minutes
Exceptions:
If your inbound flight is on a widebody, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for a domestic-domestic connection.

Domestic flight - international flight: 40 minutes
Exceptions:
  • The minimum domestic-YYC connection time is 45 minutes.
  • The minimum domestic-HAV connection time is 55 minutes.

International flight - domestic flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 35 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, NAS, or YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 10 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
  • If you are coming from HAV, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 55 minutes for an international-domestic connection.
Note: as of Labor Day 2018 (possibly earlier) there is a Precheck lane at the I-D reclearing security checkpoint.

International flight - international flight: 1 hour, 25 minutes
Exceptions:
  • If you are coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance other than YYC, then the minimum connection time is 40 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from YYC, then the minimum connection time is 45 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS, then the minimum connection time is 50 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from Ireland, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 10 minutes for an international-international connection.
  • If you are coming from LOS, then the minimum connection time is 1 hour, 30 minutes for an international-international connection.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Atlanta (ATL): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2010, 1:45 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Delta.dumb is offering me a "(00-44 layover)" on a RDU-ATL-ZRH itinerary. Think I can make it? Land in ATL at 5:29 PM and depart at 4:45 PM same day.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You can try to book it, and then call up and ask to switch to whatever flights you want due to the time travel requirement for connection
Old Oct 5, 2010, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by vatraveler
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Delta.dumb is offering me a "(00-44 layover)" on a RDU-ATL-ZRH itinerary. Think I can make it? Land in ATL at 5:29 PM and depart at 4:45 PM same day.
That kind of connection time is very doable if you arrive on time and don't have to wait for a gate.

Factors affecting how long it takes to connect in ATL:
1) Arrival delays.
2) Where you are sitting on the arriving flight--if you are on a mainline flight and not near the door, it may take a while to exit the plane.
3) If you are on a RJ, disembarkation doesn't take too long, but if you have to wait for gate-checked bags, that will add time.
4) Where your arrival gate is located on the concourse--it can take a while to walk from a gate near the end of the concourse to the escalators.
5) Where your connecting gate is located on the concourse--see #4 above.

Distance between arrival and departure terminals is NOT a major factor. It only takes about 1.5 minutes between each terminal pair, so going from T to E takes only a little extra time than, say, going from B to D.

Because waiting for a gate happens so often in ATL, I like to allow more connecting time. Weather delays typically affect both inbound and outbound flights, so a late arrival may be compensated for by a later departure.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by rylan
You can try to book it, and then call up and ask to switch to whatever flights you want due to the time travel requirement for connection
Book it and then call tomorrow to switch to a more favorable routing
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:07 pm

Actually, I just re-read what you wrote. There is no way you'll make it!
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:10 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Silver
If you need to lend my time machine, just drop me a line
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
dullta.com is very "good" at doing this. Also often offers me, while not negative, but 0 minute (arrive and depart at exactly the same time, 0 minutes to transfer), 5 minute, and other such "rather tight" connection times at DTW (apparently, DTW MCT is 0 minutes?). It's not just that it displays it. It tickets it also, without any errors.

Apparently, there is no sanity control in DeltaMatic and it'll ticket any sort of impossible connection.

All other airlines check that the MCT is met before ticketing, but apparently not Dullta. Or, perhaps just that DL IT, in their well known negligent approach to their work and no bug or usability testing, neglected to put in the MCT and it defaults to 0.

Last edited by RealHJ; Oct 5, 2010 at 2:20 pm
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Like others have said, it seems like it's a good way to book the cheap (illegal) itinerary, and then call in to change (for free) to a better one that may be more expensive.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by GBadger
Like others have said, it seems like it's a good way to book the cheap (illegal) itinerary, and then call in to change (for free) to a better one that may be more expensive.
Yes but 45 minutes is a legal connection time in ATL. I don't know if the OP reversed the scheduled arrival and departure times, or not.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DLFan2
Yes but 45 minutes is a legal connection time in ATL. I don't know if the OP reversed the scheduled arrival and departure times, or not.
Don't think so. I'm pretty sure that the OP meant that he was offered a -44 minute connection time. I've certainly been offered <20 minute connection times as well (though I've admittedly never tried to carry it all the way through the booking process)...
Old Oct 5, 2010, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by GBadger
Don't think so. I'm pretty sure that the OP meant that he was offered a -44 minute connection time. I've certainly been offered <20 minute connection times as well (though I've admittedly never tried to carry it all the way through the booking process)...
I guess you are correct. I was not sure what "00-44 layover" meant exactly. My brain refused to accept the possibility that it was giving a negative connection time.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
My brain refused to accept the possibility that it was giving a negative connection time.
Why would that be??? Delta.com does that pretty regularly...
Old Oct 5, 2010, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by localady
Why would that be??? Delta.com does that pretty regularly...
Regularly? Never in 12 years have I seen it.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

Check your dates carefully... DL may be offering you a 23 hr 16 min connection.

I have seen layovers that long on award ticket itineraries.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
I guess you are correct. I was not sure what "00-44 layover" meant exactly. My brain refused to accept the possibility that it was giving a negative connection time.
When thinking of the big, gigantic mess that is delta.com and the embarassment that is DeltaMatic, do not give in to the temptation to think logically!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.